WTH Bachs (spoilers)

#1AadvakiPosted 7/19/2012 9:11:52 AM
Okay, something's been bugging me.

Bachs is Amon, right? So why did he call himself Bachs, and why didn't he label himself as the Creator? What was the purpose of that? Like, he could have just called them there and said that he was Amon, the Creator, but no, he just says he's Bachs and he works for the Creator.

Can someone clarify?
---
"Life...dreams...hope...where do they come from?
These things...I intend to destroy!" -Psycho Clown
#2XXI_WorldPosted 7/20/2012 7:16:37 AM
IIRC it was actually clarified in the game. Orlando said something about Bachs' requests, no matter how crazy and unacceptable it might sound, are irrefutable because there's a higher deity behind pulling the strings.
---
deviantART: http://kurogamixxi.deviantart.com/
Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 3Z Special, Starcraft II.
#3skytravelerPosted 7/25/2012 3:27:35 PM
Psychologically speaking, a hidden creator is easier to assume well of than one dealt with in person. Bachs comes off as unpleasant right from the get-go, but as he doesn't present himself as the actual creator, it leaves room for the notion that the creator is a more positive entity and what the party is doing is actually for the greater good.

To put things in perspective, if there was a literal God that you could see flying around in the sky every day, people would be more likely to simply fear it or view it critically much like a mortal leader of sorts rather than worship it.
---
I hate affirmation threads and I'm not interested in knowing who agrees with me.
#4Aadvaki(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 6:04:27 PM
It's never actually stated that the Allseeing Eye could be seen from Earth, though, as no one makes mention of it in the years it's been around.

As for Bachs's demands being irrefutable and him coming off as nasty...does that really matter? If some powerful entity, God in this case, demanded you bend the knee to him for the greater good, Darwin and the Pillars had no choice but to follow Bachs whether they would have liked it or not. The Herald had already proven himself to be much stronger than the group, and Amon was clever enough to know that the best way to Darwin was by injuring Marie. So thus Bachs/Amon establishes himself incredibly powerful with no way to refuse him.

He didn't need an alternate alias.
---
#5skytravelerPosted 7/25/2012 6:16:43 PM
By that logic he also wouldn't have needed to increase the faith of the people on earth periodically with his system either. Nevertheless, he still needed to do that. There have been plenty of similar corrupt theologies in other RPGs and, despite the actual power involved behind them, they're always based upon misinforming the general public rather than simply forcing them to believe by virtue of sheer power.
---
I hate affirmation threads and I'm not interested in knowing who agrees with me.
#6Aadvaki(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2012 5:13:20 PM
Though if he wanted prayers, there's millions of people on earth to do it for him, with him destroying everybody faithless to restore his status. He didn't need the prayers of just six people. (Five, if you exclude Orlando)

While I'm aware of corrupt religious factions abusing their divine status as a means of gaining power (just look at Shadow Hearts) Amon had complete control over the group, and could force anyone of them to do what he wanted (except Araki, but Araki's so soulless anyway it doesn't matter) so he could have just revealed his status as God and passed off his unpleasantness as merely a result of the 'dire' situation at hand.
---