Loving it

#1MantisoPosted 4/29/2012 10:24:18 AM
I didn't even know about this game until a week ago. Played the demo and really enjoyed it. Seems like a good match for TWD and the type of game it should be.
Just finished Part 1 now and loved it. Good characters. Good drama. Good gore. Seems to have captured the desperate rag tag group of survivors much better than the TV series. The drama and loyalties already seem much stronger and closer to how the comic plays out. I like.
And Clementine is one of the sweetest characters I've seen in a game. I dread the thought of her getting into trouble and the fact I might have to make some awful decisions involving her later on.
---
"3rd time watching you're thinking, how does he get his jumper on?" - Karl Pilkington on The Elephant Man
PSN ID: SolidKev
#2SinisterSynPosted 4/29/2012 12:28:53 PM
I agree, I thought that this game was very well done overall. Makes me want to go back and try out some more Telltale games, since I hear that they are quite interesting and usually very humorous. Always wanted to try Monkey Island, but never got around to getting it. Maybe the next time I spot a sale on Steam I'll give it a go.

I also loved the fact that this game referenced my hometown quite a bit. It looked nothing like the actual downtown Macon in-game, but it was still cool hearing the different names pop up every now and then, even if the subtitles misspelled Warner Robins. :D
#3zavlinzPosted 4/29/2012 1:04:51 PM(edited)
what telltale does best: is write love letters to the source material. Its usually a sure bet that if you like the series the game is based on, you will like that corresponding telltale game.
This particularly holds true with back to the future and jurassic park, which were both lacking in some of their mechanics, but i heard people who read the jurassic park books loved the story of the game.
The telltale monkey island and sam&max are also pretty amazing at capturing the magic of the originals.
#4Chunga_WongPosted 4/29/2012 1:02:09 PM
i'm loving it too :) i love Resident Evil and blasting zombies with high powered weapons, but this is a nice change of pace. i love the fact that your decisions will effect the whole story, which gives it replay value.
i finished episode 1 earlier today, but i cant wait to play through it again to make different choices and see how it plays out
#5Freelance_WolfPosted 5/1/2012 4:15:01 PM(edited)
Sam and Max (The Telltale series) doesn't nearly capture the same experience as the original comics though. It's nowhere near edgy/twisted enough. You can tell they tried, but didn't dare pull it off for whatever reason. Maybe it's because they wanted it to be more kid-friendly. Who knows. Even the TV show was edgier than the game. Not saying it's a crappy series though. It's decent enough.

Lucasart's Sam and Max Hit the Road game is much more like the comic and a lot funnier. It's a must have if you're a Sam and Max fan. I like Sam's voice in this game more.

--

"This story warms the cockles of my heart."
"So do car crashes."

--

"You boys should be proud of what you've accomplished here today."
"You mean the wholesale destruction of 100 years of civilization in the western United States? You bet we are!"

--

"Max, where should I put this so it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?"
"Out the window, Sam. There's nothing but strangers out there."
*throws it out the window*
BOOM!
"I hope there was nobody on that bus."
"Nobody we know at least."

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
FC 4468-1025-6646
#6zeik56Posted 5/1/2012 4:15:05 PM(edited)
I think their Sam and Max games have been improving with each season. The first season was definitely way toned down compared to the comics and Hit the Road, but I really enjoyed Season 3. (Even if the final episode was a little anti-climatic.)
---
A second ant? No, no, it's his brother, avenging the death of his twin. It's his twin brother!
I'm going to follow him home...kill his whole family.~Space Ghost
#7Freelance_WolfPosted 5/1/2012 4:29:42 PM(edited)
Oh? I didn't think first season of S&M was that great (I did like the last one with the virtual reality though).

I actually do have seasons 2 and 3 myself (a friend bought them for me) but I haven't finished 2 yet and never started on 3 so I don't see what you see. So you say I should be happy then.

---
FC 4468-1025-6646
#8Freelance_WolfPosted 5/1/2012 6:32:17 PM
Wow this is so lame. I can't get any episode of Season 3 to run. All I get is a blank screen as apparently my monitor doesn't support whatever resolution he game is using. Seasons 1 and 2 work fine though. I tried to force 800x600 on it and that didn't work either. Lame.
---
FC 4468-1025-6646
#9zeik56Posted 5/1/2012 6:41:05 PM(edited)
Weird, but Season 3 does use a new engine, so just because you can run 1 and 2 doesn't necessarily mean you can run 3.

I bought it on the PS3 because my computer can't handle it.
---
A second ant? No, no, it's his brother, avenging the death of his twin. It's his twin brother!
I'm going to follow him home...kill his whole family.~Space Ghost
#10zavlinzPosted 5/1/2012 6:50:44 PM
season 3 is quite a bit more graphically demanding than the first 2.