Lee X Rick comparison

#1Lo_ManoloPosted 4/30/2012 6:48:22 PM
SPOILERS free. This thread involves both game AND the HQ.

Want to see your thoughts about both protagonists.
Kirkman made very clear that TWD is about how people were and what they turn into. And no doubt that his characters changed a LOT, specially Rick. Lots of ups and downs for him.
So, as we can't know yet what Lee will be in the future I'll stick with the "earlier Rick" but, putting them side by side I think they have a lot in common.

Like:
- Both have a 'gift' for leadership. Even though people just met them, they're already listenning them as they normally try to reason and help others (except that in the game we can make choices... but still, Lee looked more as the 'lets survive together" than the "follow or trouble" type of leader);

- Both takes the burden to themselfs. Thats leader stuff. Something gotta be done and they don't want to anyone to feel the guilt. They do it. They can handle it (or so they think...);

- The biggest difference I guess its in their background and, therefore, what motivates them (but this, contradictory, makes them even more alike IMO).
Rick have a family and them are the whole reason he do what he does. Its always hard do lose someone but Rick (specially the beginning Rick) would let everyone dies with no second thought if that means the survival of his family.
Lee don't. He has a very troubled past with his family, not yet fully known. He undoubtedly loved them, but they're probably gone. Still, Lee start looking after this girl (who too lost her closed ones) who seens very found of him - and he of her - and its the closest they both can call a family. Lee seens to take the same path Rick does here. I'm pretty sure that Lee will always put Clementine in first place. No matter who are with he, what save choices he'll face, if Clem is in the middle, he'll save her first.

What will happen in the future we can't tell. Is Lee gonna face so much problems, so many difficult choices, encounter crazy sick, sadistic people, lose so many loved ones that he will be face to face to a mental collapse? (Rick faced times like these more than once, and the only thing that kept him going is his son. I love RIck and he is really a bad-ass leader, but there were times that I HATED him and his lame choices. That's part of him changing. I understand his motives but I can't help in disagreeing with him at some points of TWD history. Will something similar occur with Lee? I mean.. what if a pedophile kidnaps Clementine, will he cold murderer into bloody pieces without even looking back? RIck without doubt would.)

This is a discussions with no rights or wrongs.
Just want to hear about other Walking Dead fans, specially from the comic.
---
I play better when I'm high
#2Lo_Manolo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 6:33:29 PM
Really, no one?
I understand the feeling that seeing a gigantic wall of text can bring but... no one?
I thought at least comic fans
---
#3StrifeZephyrPosted 5/1/2012 8:03:54 PM(edited)
Well the thing about this is, due to the amount of player choices that impact the game, each player can decide the degree to which Lee compares to Rick. Lee could potentially be a selfish, poor leader, that is neglectful of Clem.

Personally, I think my version of Lee has a lot in common with Rick, I plan to be compassionate towards my allies and ruthless towards my enemies.
#4PunishmePosted 5/2/2012 12:55:24 AM
But Lee's not the leader it's Kenny, well in episode 1 it is anyways.
#5Lo_Manolo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2012 7:01:12 AM
StrifeZephyr posted...
Well the thing about this is, due to the amount of player choices that impact the game, each player can decide the degree to which Lee compares to Rick. Lee could potentially be a selfish, poor leader, that is neglectful of Clem.

That's true. But still, there is some things you don't chose doing.
I mean, Lee choses to take care of clementine (he can't just leave her), also he choses to save the girl locked in the room ("Glenn is right, we can't leave her there")
You are indeed correct but I think that through the episodes there will be LEE choices that would define him.

Punishme posted...

I don't quite see Kenny as the leader here (though he did take important decisions at the end of the episode), but what I tried to say is that Lee has.. leadership, y'know? (and people will start following him eventually)
---
#6AyahRivenPosted 5/2/2012 3:38:22 PM

This. Lee is not a leader. At least not yet, anyway.
#7Lo_Manolo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 12:43:41 PM
AyahRiven posted...

This. Lee is not a leader. At least not yet, anyway.

Natural born leader.
---
#8Alex2213Posted 5/5/2012 12:00:28 PM
Lee is not the leader at the moment Kenny has taken that job Lee is his right hand man.
Maybe depending on choices you may lead later in the game.
#9AyahRivenPosted 5/5/2012 12:08:31 PM
Natural born leader.

What makes you say that? Kenny takes charge of the group in the first episode. So far Lee hasn't shown any real leadership qualities. He's shown that he's capable of looking after Clementine and keeping himself alive, but he hasn't had to make any real decisions yet.

SPOILERS

inb4Carley&Doug. No. That's nothing compared to what Rick has had to do.
#10BurdicusPosted 5/7/2012 2:37:09 AM
AyahRiven posted...
Natural born leader.

What makes you say that? Kenny takes charge of the group in the first episode. So far Lee hasn't shown any real leadership qualities. He's shown that he's capable of looking after Clementine and keeping himself alive, but he hasn't had to make any real decisions yet.

SPOILERS

inb4Carley&Doug. No. That's nothing compared to what Rick has had to do.

Lee also had to make a pretty big decision at the farm and at the hotel. Not to mention the fact that he plays the leader role at the hotel too. Kenny and Lee feel like co-leaders to me.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Graces F
Currently replaying: FFIX