Comparing LBPK to MNR - A Detailed Discussion

#1Manlius10APosted 11/8/2012 7:17:26 AM
I am creating this topic to give potential players and fans of both series an informed comparison between the two games. I plan to touch upon review scores and the greater LBP universe, as well.

First off anyone who has lost far too many hours of their life to Modnation Racers (MNR), such as myself, will immediately feel the difference of Little Big Planet Karting (LBPK). LBPK is not even close to a clone of MNR for the following reasons:

1) The race speed is much slower and the handling is more "floaty." Traction on the road just feels lacking.
2) The boost and shield system has been completely replaced with the generic "drift for immediate boost" and "block with weapon systems" that are much more common in kart racers.
3) The load times are much improved.
4) There is BATTLE MODE!!
5) Track creation tools are very much expanded upon while character and kart creation tools are much reduced. Also, auto-populate has been removed from track creation.
6) There are tons of different mini-games/game modes.
7) And of course it takes place in the Imagishere. It feels like a LBP game with bubbles and prize packs to find and collect on each track.

The overall results is a game that sits awkwardly between a 3D platformer and kart racer. If you go into the game expecting a solid racer like MNR you will be disappointed and lean more towards IGN's review. However, if you accept the game as what it is, a "Karting Adventure," there is much fun to be found and your opinion will lean more towards the higher reviews.
---
My Modnation Tracks: Christmas in the City, Wildcard's Stadium, Drillbit's Construction Yard, Carey's Castle, Sacred Grove, Sailor's Point City and more!!
#2JohnnyRPosted 11/8/2012 7:29:00 AM
This is a great post. Could you share some of your more detailed impressions of the game? Have you gone into the creation aspects of it much?
#3Manlius10A(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 8:15:04 AM
I haven't really touched the creation aspects of the game much. Many of my other MNR friends are diving in and find it to be very powerful stuff, though. I can update this post once I get a good grip of the editor myself. In the meantime, I can tell you that there are A LOT of track editing features that I am very excited about!!

Other impressions are that the rubber-banding AI can be ruthless and frustrating (I am playing on normal difficulty). I am actually finding the mini-games and bubble/prize collection more enjoyable than the actual racing. That is why I call it (and so have the developers) a karting "adventure" game.

The levels are charming and varied. The colorful and unique aesthetics make finding all the alternative routes and prize bubbles a true joy. This game is not like MNR were all the developer/story levels look the same and are boring. I also think that battle mode has tons of potential because the slower speeds are actually good for battle mode. There is also a lot of potential for unique user created mini-games that could really take advantage of the editor and be great fun, IF the game is supported by a large community.
---
My Modnation Tracks: Christmas in the City, Wildcard's Stadium, Drillbit's Construction Yard, Carey's Castle, Sacred Grove, Sailor's Point City and more!!
#4JohnnyRPosted 11/8/2012 8:34:44 AM
Awesome impressions! I'm disappointed to hear about the AI. I wonder if there will be a patch to address it?
#5HakuPosted 11/8/2012 9:35:18 AM
Manlius10A posted...

1) The race speed is much slower and the handling is more "floaty." Traction on the

:(. That was the thing that really dragged the beta down for me. Was hoping they would speed up the final game. Far too slow, made the racing boring :(.
#6Jon_GodPosted 11/8/2012 12:00:46 PM
Haku posted...
Manlius10A posted...

1) The race speed is much slower and the handling is more "floaty." Traction on the

:(. That was the thing that really dragged the beta down for me. Was hoping they would speed up the final game. Far too slow, made the racing boring :(.

It is actually a lot better than the beta. It's been a while since I played MNR so I can't comment on a comparison.

-JG
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#7JKiiiPosted 11/8/2012 12:10:25 PM(edited)
The speed is faster then the beta was. And remember if you don't like it you can adjust it yourself. You can even make a boost and shield meter if you wanted to.

The only gripe i have is you have no customization options when playing other levels or the story, i would've loved being able to set the AI difficulty, weapons and lap count
---
Little King of LBP Level Recordings
http://www.youtube.com/user/JHKthree
#8JKiiiPosted 11/8/2012 1:23:42 PM
You also should've mentioned the ability to create weapons, it is very vast
---
Little King of LBP Level Recordings
http://www.youtube.com/user/JHKthree
#9Manlius10A(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 1:49:37 PM
I didn't play the Beta, so I can't compare or comment about the improvement or lack there-of.

Yes the weaponator editor is awesome. I will try to edit my initial message to include that.
---
#10HakuPosted 11/8/2012 5:25:04 PM
Jon_God posted...
Haku posted...
Manlius10A posted...

It is actually a lot better than the beta. It's been a while since I played MNR so I can't comment on a comparison.

-JG

I will have to wait for a demo (if there is one), to see the change then.

JKiii posted...
The speed is faster then the beta was. And remember if you don't like it you can adjust it yourself. You can even make a boost and shield meter if you wanted to.

But that would be for custom tracks wouldn't it? You can't change the speed for single player or when playing other peoples tracks can you? As I suspect most will just leave it default.