Comparing LBPK to MNR - A Detailed Discussion

#11TheCyborgNinjaPosted 11/8/2012 7:37:54 PM
My comparison can be summed up in one sentence: I actually have fun with LBP Karting.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#12grzajabarkusPosted 11/8/2012 9:43:56 PM
I'm not a huge kart fan, but I loved MNR and liked some Mario karts. That being said, I completely disagree with the ign review. I don't think its bland, lifeless, or incredibly difficult. My girlfriend and I have been playing it for a few hours, and its really fun! I can't wait to play with my nephew, who's 5 yrs old.
#13Diamond7120Posted 11/9/2012 6:44:41 AM
Also, unless I am missing something you can not copy and edit the premade story tracks.
The kart customization is brought way down by the difficulty of applying stickers and solid color mods.
Track customization is way more in depth, but also a lot harder to learn.
---
Disturb me not, for I seek to eliminate odd order intermodulation in linear power stages...
#14Manlius10A(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 8:47:51 AM
Haku, you can only adjust the handling and kart speed based on a track creator's specific custom track's setting (based on someone else's whims). There is no way to increase speed or adjust handling in the story mode. The story mode speed does slowly increase from planet to planet, though.

All, I have spent a few hours fiddling with the editor now and can articulate some of my general impressions:

1) The editor is DENSE!! There are a lot of tools and even as an advanced MNR tracker and competent LBP2 editor, my initial feeling was that of being overwhelmed. Also, the tutorials are very dry and boring, and never quite hit the sweet spot of information (either too little or too much).

2) The editor is POWERFUL!! There are a lot of cool new features. I'll just give one easy to grasp example. The probability of weapons per position can be set - don't like the 1st place rocket? - Set the probability to 0% - Think 1st place should have only mines? - Adjust the probability.

3) The controls are OBTUSE!! I understand that mapping in 3D space is complicated, but this takes it too far. MNR was much more intuitive. Maybe my brain can't handle the combination of a LBP and MNR editor colliding together, but this is super cumbersome.

4) Track textures are far more varied than in MNR. There are also more fencing options. Stickers can be placed on the road. The fencing can be tweaked for all bridges. There is no easy tunnel tool.

5) Environmental and lighting options are greatly increased. Trackers can adjust sun height, sun color, sun brightness, fog, fog color, water color, etc. The list goes on and on.

If you have any additional questions I will do my best to answer them, so ask away.
---
My Modnation Tracks: Christmas in the City, Wildcard's Stadium, Drillbit's Construction Yard, Carey's Castle, Sacred Grove, Sailor's Point City and more!!
#15MrSRArterPosted 11/9/2012 7:22:48 PM
How about character customization? I haven't played this, but in ModNationRacers, you could have Fivel from An American Tale racing against Benson from Regular Show? Does LBP Karting only have Sackboys?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStcSpAdodc&feature=plcp <- I agree with this video.
Official Birthday Cake flavor of the IDF
#16Manlius10A(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 8:26:41 AM
The character editor only has sackboys and is much more limited than MNR. Sticker placement is imprecise and can't be used to make anything complicated. The character editor is pretty much the same as LBP and LBP2.
---
My Modnation Tracks: Christmas in the City, Wildcard's Stadium, Drillbit's Construction Yard, Carey's Castle, Sacred Grove, Sailor's Point City and more!!
#17grzajabarkusPosted 11/10/2012 8:49:43 AM
I find it really hard to compare the two. Just because they are made by UFG doesn't mean they are the same. Lbp karting is, in my opinion, a lot more fun. I enjoy the battle modes probably better than the racing. Its just soooooo fun. They kind of remind me of old twisted metal, when it was fun too. Mnr is a purist kart racing game, while this really is, an adventure karting game. To me, if I were naive, I would have thought this was made by Media Molecule. It just looks, and feels like LBP.

Which is why I hated the IGN review. All those bad reviews are basically saying its not as good as Mnr, and compare it with Mnr. The fact of the matter is, its not a bad game. Its really good. Just people don't understand or won't adopt to it, because its not Mnr 2.
#18diebuster2Posted 11/10/2012 4:35:07 PM
MNR is still better imo mainly for the racing alone. No matter how much customization and modes you got in LBP Karting, if the racing lacks depth, then the customization as such won't make up for it.
---
Dreams are like rainbows; only idiots catch them.
Playing: Borderlands 2, ToGraces F.
More topics from this board...
online codeps3rock12317/21 3:40PM