So is the whole story mode a horrible luck-fest?

#11SpacePirateKhan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 7:08:19 PM(edited)
sirgreenday posted...
Let me get this straight. You suck at the game, so you say its s "luck fest". I don't even know what this means, unless you mean the AI will win no matter what.

This game is extremely easy. I won 90% of the races. Maybe you should turn the difficulty down all the way.

No, I'm saying I should be winning most races (1st place most of the race), but I will be screwed over by luck factors I can't control. You can't stock more than one item, yet it's very possible to get hit by two unavoidable weapons of some sort between item spawns. It's not a matter of being unable to win, it's a matter of having to redo an entire race you were winning solely because the game said "LOL NO. Do it again :D"

I 100%'d ModNation Racers and this game. Beating it doesn't change the fact that you can get completely screwed over by luck - sometimes near the end of the last lap, giving you 0% chance of catching up after you'd been leading the entire race.

But then, ModNation Racers AI actually rubberbanded in a way that if you drove GOOD, the AI would get rougher/harder to beat and spam items more, and if you drove like a noob, the AI would go out of their way to let you win, even slowing down to not pass you (as long as you didn't hit walls) and using weapons less. Maybe this game has a similar AI that's easier if you suck? It was made by the same people...
---
Official Sackboy Champion of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Board!
www.change.org/petitions/superbot-make-the-king-of-all-cosmos-a-dlc-character-2
#12jameswintertonPosted 12/18/2012 6:52:46 AM
Devs must have been tootin rock when they designed this! just came from Sonic racing transformed and the weapons here are crazy
---
psn: jrwinterton
#13obliviondollPosted 12/26/2012 4:39:11 AM
I'm not the best at racing games, I play on Normal, and I rarely have any trouble.

Have they patched the game since you guys played? Or do I just suck so bad the AI dumb themselves down for me?
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#14ChatClairPosted 12/26/2012 11:54:21 AM
obliviondoll posted...
I'm not the best at racing games, I play on Normal, and I rarely have any trouble.

Have they patched the game since you guys played? Or do I just suck so bad the AI dumb themselves down for me?

I think one patch was already released, and that was it, might of been two. Not sure.
#15FanimaXIVPosted 12/29/2012 5:49:19 AM
The weapons in this game seem to not have been balanced at all.

Whereas MK had rubberbanding with characters catching up to you, this game opts to allow the CPU to have an item no matter what so you don't blaze ahead.

Literally every time I pass up the leader for first place I'm bombarded with items until I drop back to 3rd again. EVERY TIME. I can't even hold first for 10 seconds.

At least MK gave you plenty of options for defending yourself, from three shells to even the simplest banana peel. Even then, the only thing you had to worry about if you ever were in first was a Blue Shell. Items in this game are just ridiculous and the recovery time is outrageous as well.

MK has faster recovery, Sega Racing takes away your control of the car but still grants you the mercy of accelerating. This game...this game...you just die entirely and then have to wait a few seconds to respawn. MM...what the hell.
---
Seriously, I'd like to play a new Wave Race, Outrun, Live-A-Live or Super Spike V'Ball before I quit gaming. Remake or Sequel.
#16JudgeSpearPosted 12/29/2012 7:34:06 AM
Media Molecule did not make LBP Karting. United Front games did. UFG made Modnation Racers. MM had very little to do with development of this game.

Additionally, all items can be defended against. Once you are in the top positions, especially 1st place, always have a weapon handy to defend yourself against weapons like the red homing missiles and the blue 1st place seeker missiles. I almost never defend myself against the flashbang missiles (the dizzy effect ones) except if one will hit me at a deadly corner or hazard. I'd rather get disoriented for a few seconds than die and have to respawn from a complete stop.

AI spamming you with boxing gloves? Then learn to stay away from the middle of the racetrack.

Cannot increase your lead over the AI? Then start mastering spinjump boosts and drift boosts and draft boosts.

This game kicked my butt so many times once I reached The Progress Emporium. However, once I mastered the racing mechanics and learned efficient weapons management, I got so much better at this game.

Perhaps those who are ranting about the game should assess their own lack of skill in the game due to inexperience instead of blaming the game for their failures.
#17SpacePirateKhan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 7:40:16 PM(edited)
^So how do you block two (or more) fatal weapons back to back? I never figured that one out, despite days of practice, and having to restart a race I was winning because of inescapable last-turn death was just stupid.
---
"The best things in life must be taken... by force!"
~Captain Khan
#18JudgeSpearPosted 12/29/2012 9:40:52 PM
You can't block EVERY weapon that is thrown at you.

You can't win them all.
#19zzamaroPosted 12/30/2012 3:17:37 PM
JudgeSpear posted...

Additionally, all items can be defended against.

JudgeSpear posted...
You can't block EVERY weapon that is thrown at you.

You can't win them all.

Wow. Quite a contradiction.

Even tough you wrote a lot of good tips, TC probably knew about these already. The game is difficult because the AI throws a lot of stuff at you, but you can only defend once per item. This happens a lot, and it makes difficult to win.

You are being too aggressive on TC when you couldn't provide a tip to defend multiple attacks. You actually supported TC's point.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]
#20JudgeSpearPosted 12/30/2012 4:51:05 PM
Allow me to clarify myself. Yes, you can defend against all items, but you cannot block everything thrown at you at all times. You have to know when to take a hit or not.

Obviously, if you are cruising far ahead of everyone, where you are more than 5 seconds ahead of 2nd place, then you can afford to take a hit. If it is a close race and you are about to get hit during a big jump or curve, then only experience will tell you when you're supposed to always have a weapon handy, and take the hits you're supposed to.

I was answering the TC's questions as he asked them. The only one in this topic who was aggressive towards the TC is the person who said this:

sirgreenday posted...
Let me get this straight. You suck at the game, so you say its s "luck fest". I don't even know what this means, unless you mean the AI will win no matter what.

This game is extremely easy. I won 90% of the races. Maybe you should turn the difficulty down all the way.
More topics from this board...
online codeps3rock12317/21 3:40PM