Question for the pros!

#1JkoolPosted 12/8/2012 12:09:27 AM
OK, I am trying to make a forced multiple path track that works by lap. In other words a gate or jump pad open or moves out for each lap changing the course.

What is the best way to do this? I rolled a track & then deleted areas & added bread crumbs. For gate or wall I used a hinge with a (forget what it called offhand...green disc w sackboy on it I think?) Set the lap to 1 or 2 & the delay/pause to max.

This seems very glitchy as far as off track or resets using this way & the gates do not seem to work perfect all the time.

Anyone have a better method or must I keep tweeking?

Thank You!
---
FORUMS: A place a person can ask a serious question & receive rude replies that have nothing to do with the question!
#2Cirrus5005Posted 12/8/2012 2:48:50 AM
Well don't worry, even LittleBigPlanet's own multi-path tracks aren't perfect ... you know Night Rider where on the 3rd lap, you jump through the mouth of the dinosaur? I've been in an online race where one of the AI have gone so fast up front, that the switch hasn't activated for that 3rd lap route ... and everyone's had to take the grapple hook swing route 'over' the dinosaur's teeth just like laps 1 & 2.

It's annoying because the top times are untouchable unless you get that glitch to work for yourself.

On my track, I have doors which are only designed to open for lap 3, opening a shorter route. I just drove round the track as fast as I could and monitored my time ... one very fast lap can be done in 52 seconds, and even that's rare, so:

Lap 1: 52 seconds
Lap 2: 52 seconds
= 1 minute 44 seconds = 104 seconds.

I made the pause time of my hinges 104 seconds I think, and they're always ready for lap 3 then, because the "3,2,1" countdown at the start of the race eats into that time as well, so you've got a safety net / nobody will reach those doors and see them closed on lap 3.

The downfall is, if somebody is 'so' slow ... they might be able to use the doors on lap 2, but hell, if they're that far behind, they'll probably need it and will be being lapped anyway.
#3Jkool(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:15:10 AM(edited)
OMG! I just started fresh & made a new track & put a gate on with a sensor & it wont even work!

I need some tips please! Thanks!

PS...I think it is more of a settings issue from the sensor & the hinge unless I am way off?

---
FORUMS: A place a person can ask a serious question & receive rude replies that have nothing to do with the question!
#4Manlius10APosted 12/12/2012 10:38:12 AM
The best way to do this is with a character progress sensor on the start point linked to a threshold logic item.

Choose a representative spawn point (preferably the one that will be the 1st player human spawn point) and place a progress sensor on it. Connect the progress sensor to the threshold logic item. You can set ranges on the progress sensor to represent the players position. For a 3 lap race:
0-33% is the first lap
34-66% is the second lap
67-100% is the third lap

Once the desired range is specified, hook the output of the threshold logic to the desired mechanics to alternate the race track. Add pathfinders to any fences blocking a route to help guide AI.
---
My Modnation Tracks: Christmas in the City, Wildcard's Stadium, Drillbit's Construction Yard, Carey's Castle, Sacred Grove, Sailor's Point City and more!!
#5Jkool(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 5:01:17 AM
Thank you my friend. I will try this. I figured out what the problem was for the most part with the help of a friend. You must actually test race and not test track ( up on D pad ) if the sensor is set to over 1 lap.
---