Need help with 'erase track' and spawn points

#1ninjakrakenPosted 12/12/2012 5:18:44 PM
I'm up to creating my third track which is a little more ambitious than my previous tracks, and have been met by a few problems. I have built the scenery so that I can ultimately erase the track and race on the scenery itself however I have had many problems with spawn points after erasing the track. Note that the scenery is made of material, not terrain.

After I erased part of the track which is high in the air on a block of material, if I forced a death I would re-spawn on the floor, to the left of where the track is. To fix this I thought that I would erase all spawn points and use custom spawn points, but then my kart would no longer start the race at the original spawn point, which has custom game camera and custom kart speed.

My last resort will be to bury the track just under the scenery which will take a lot of time to do, I was wondering if anyone had a possible solution.

Also, I remember one other thing giving me problems with 'erase track', when driving on an erased track within the bounds, I often get 'off-track', 'wrong way' or 'out of bounds' messages popping up frequently, it is very annoying! I can fix this usually by putting breadcrumbs all over the damn place but this makes the AI completely stupid. Not a big deal in my current track (1 player only), but annoying nonetheless. I noticed that if you erase track and have a particularly long jump, this can also cause you to be 'out of bounds'. In my previous level I had to combat this by breaking the long jump into 3 smaller jumps and reduce overall distance, which diminished the effect I was going for. A solution to this would be helpful also.
---
PSN: lady_mystic
Mind your blasted manners! Uncivil, uncouth, uncultivated! - Lady Smith
#2nordwestPosted 12/13/2012 4:20:45 AM
Not sure if I can offer much, but I remember someone else posted that setting the Re-Spawn from the default 'Normal' to 'Extreme' (its in the Global Setting menu, not the custom spawn logic) can help with some 'Out of Bounds' issues - try it?

For erased track, on a current under-construction project I've used that buried 'terrain track' method as it really minimises AI problems. Breadcrumbs seem fine for short complex areas or long simple ones, but I notice the height each breadcrumb gate is set at can become crucial. This could be worth looking at too - ? Hope this is some help.
---
beep
#3ninjakraken(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 3:24:35 PM
Yes, after messing around with my track I've come to the conclusion that simply burying the track is the best thing to do. Every single time I erased track I would run into problems.

Unfortunately, I still run into problems if I delete a bit of track for a jump, especially if the jump is high and/or long. It won't say 'out of bounds' or anything, it'll just delete my kart and re-spawn me further on. I've only been able to combat this by reducing the length of the jump. Breadcrumbs help in some instances but not all. Any more tips on how to improve jumps would be appreciated.
---
PSN: lady_mystic
Mind your blasted manners! Uncivil, uncouth, uncultivated! - Lady Smith
More topics from this board...
online codeps3rock12327/30 8:30AM