Why is this game so bad?

#11pipo_snake_jc3Posted 1/16/2013 3:22:57 PM
ManOfChap posted...
pipo_snake_jc3 posted...
ManOfChap posted...
The game just isn't that fun at all. Can't really explain it.

Also the weapons/defense seem a little off.

Then maybe this isn't your kind of game. I'm having tons of fun with it. Wish I had more time to make everything I've already thought up.

I said in the 1st post I thought ModNations was a pretty Good game. I like Mario Kart as well. Theres just not a whole lot happening in this game.

I wouldn't really bundle this game in the same group as Mario Kart. Maybe Modnations, but not Mario Kart. I feel this game focuses more on creating than actual racing. Mario Kart is great for straight racing, Modnation for attention to detail, and LBPK for creating.

But yes, I agree, there is not a whole lot going on this game and until that changes, I can't really recommend this game to anyone. Especially considering we haven't even gotten the costume patch for this game yet. Kinda embarrassing tbh...
---
PSN: Naruga418
#12Jon_GodPosted 1/16/2013 5:49:56 PM
The reason I say it's on par with ModNation, is that I've enjoyed it a lot more, and had many more people play it split screen with me, and enjoy it more than MNR.

I like some of the things in MNR, but the balance was terrible. Instead of fixing the balance, they took stuff out, and reduced the balance spikes, but dumbed down the gameplay at the same time.

I still have played more of this than MNR in the end. I'd love for a sequel to this that brings more of MNR back, and adds more options.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#13JkoolPosted 1/16/2013 8:21:25 PM
Jon_God posted...
The reason I say it's on par with ModNation, is that I've enjoyed it a lot more, and had many more people play it split screen with me, and enjoy it more than MNR.

I like some of the things in MNR, but the balance was terrible. Instead of fixing the balance, they took stuff out, and reduced the balance spikes, but dumbed down the gameplay at the same time.

I still have played more of this than MNR in the end. I'd love for a sequel to this that brings more of MNR back, and adds more options.

Yea for sure. A combo of the MNR and LBPK would be sweetness!
---
FORUMS: A place a person can ask a serious question & receive rude replies that have nothing to do with the question!
#14SpacePirateKhanPosted 1/22/2013 10:28:02 PM(edited)
Don't forget sucky character customization!
ModNation had fantastic sticker application, decorations, etc., possibly better than LBP, and LittleBigPlanet let you use stickers and decorations to really make Sackboy whatever you want.

Their love child has sucky sticker/decor application on characters. And the Thermometer is pretty harsh...

But, the track creator is still better than ModNation Racers, despite all of its flaws. The ability to make custom objects and weapons - even entire game modes - is a huge leap forward.
---
"The best things in life must be taken... by force!"
~Captain Khan
#15lunayoshiPosted 1/23/2013 12:44:34 PM
To answer your questions:

For Community problems, the answer is mostly "the servers are weird."

Specifically for the Dive In getting "unable to join games for some reason," (I'm assuming you're using the Dive In because that's MOSTLY where I get it), it's because there's nobody in that track anymore, so there's no one to join. You can START a new session, but sometimes, even in the time it takes to load the planet and show people in the game, they've left and there's no one to join again. Or they're in the voting screen. I think it might not let you auto-join if they've beaten it and at the voting screen for a new stage. ALSO, the game doesn't update how many are in the game every second, so backing out of the planet then going back in is the only way presently to see who's still in what level. Give that a try?

I don't understand what you mean by "lack of a good lobby system." It works fine for me. Put stickers on, change character and kart, all buttons work, press start to access menus.

Players quitting mid-race is their problem, unfortunately, and there's nothing other players can do about it.

I don't know what you mean by P4P levels. Do you mean 4v4?

I know there's a lack of 4players-on-one-system levels, but it's bypassable if you have two players on another system join yours. I know it's a stretch and no fun at all, but if you want your four players to play together, it's the best and only way to do everything in Story mode. I'd recommend trying some high-rated tracks or Designer Chosen (forgot the name) tracks made by players if you want to play 4 players on one system. I -think- it works fine that way. (I can't be sure; I don't have one right in front of me)

If by "slow kart speed" you mean your speed sucks compared to CPU racers or even other racers, it's probably because 1. the CPU is a bit broken on some tracks, and 2. the other players know EVERY in-and-out of the course and know how to keep skids going for maximum boosts. It's hard to get the hang of, but it comes with experience.

BTW, did the game designers at E3 not note that this was an LBP game created using the ModNation Racers engine? Because that's what it is, and might be why some things aren't transferring well. I.e., LBP name, MNR team.

Sorry I can't respond to every qualm, but based on my experience, some things are really just internal but fixable problems with the game itself or the servers (I assume... that Unable to join thing seems like a server thing to me) and will likely be fixed in an upcoming patch.
---
Yoshi/Sonic Artwork
#16DJPLACEPosted 1/23/2013 4:12:28 PM
the one thing i did not like about MNR was you had to drive with the R2 Button... i just wish there was a way to drive with the X button...
---
Not A Nintendo Lover anymore... But A Sony Lover...
PSN=DJPlace I play FIghters and co-op's and other games.
#17Ms_AndryPosted 1/28/2013 3:37:12 PM
There's so so sooooooooo many horrible decisions in this game. The gameplay itself is already not very good (not terrible) but the problem is this game just doesn't want anyone to play levels online. I don't understand it at all.

Minor problem. Loading screen is completely white and is just dreadful to look at, especially since loading times are much longer in this game than LBP 2.

More problems: When you want to race online with people, you only get the same levels EVERY time to pick from. You get maybe a max of 3 community made levels to choose from and the rest are story levels. I didn't buy this game to play story levels, believe it or not. I want new levels and I want to be able to play with human beings.

Then, when you return to pod, you are almost always returned back to the very beginning of your pod. That means if you had searched for something specifically, put tags in, went down a few pages of races, you lose all your results and have to start over. You'll never find people playing any other levels, and if you do, then once the race is over, you go back to the same story levels and same 3 community levels again.

I was also in the beta for this game as well, and I'm just dumbfounded at how they didn't fix any of these problems when people complained about them. The only thing they DID change was when doing "Free Roam" and waiting for online players, you used to be able to go off track, and go backwards and have fun. Now if you try to do that, your sackperson kills itself. Why? What is the purpose of this? Why did they take away something actually kind of fun to do while you waited for people?

This brings me also to my next point. If you play a level online and no one is there, the game only waits 60 seconds. No one ever makes it to your random level in 60 seconds, so of course you end up just playing with the AI again and of course once the course is over, its the same 3 levels to pick from.

Everyone has complained about the gameplay enough, so I don't feel its necessary for me to go into details really. Most creators just use default items and speed, and from what I've seen, there are very few actual good race tracks.

I'm just extremely disappointed in this game. I love LBP2 more than any game, and this just seems to take a dump all over it. It tries to copy its ways, but fails at almost every turn. There's not even any way to make custom music.

At the very least though, the music in this game is very nice and I enjoy that. But that seems to be the only thing I can enjoy now that I've found I can' t play random levels with random people anymore. All I can hope is that they actually change these horrible horrible decisions they've made and maybe I'll be able to come back and enjoy this game for what it is.

A place to race random people on custom tracks. Which it just is not right now.
#18bfist1stPosted 1/29/2013 10:15:36 AM
Ms_Andry posted...
There's so so sooooooooo many horrible decisions in this game. The gameplay itself is already not very good (not terrible) but the problem is this game just doesn't want anyone to play levels online. I don't understand it at all.

Minor problem. Loading screen is completely white and is just dreadful to look at, especially since loading times are much longer in this game than LBP 2.

More problems: When you want to race online with people, you only get the same levels EVERY time to pick from. You get maybe a max of 3 community made levels to choose from and the rest are story levels. I didn't buy this game to play story levels, believe it or not. I want new levels and I want to be able to play with human beings.

Then, when you return to pod, you are almost always returned back to the very beginning of your pod. That means if you had searched for something specifically, put tags in, went down a few pages of races, you lose all your results and have to start over. You'll never find people playing any other levels, and if you do, then once the race is over, you go back to the same story levels and same 3 community levels again.

I was also in the beta for this game as well, and I'm just dumbfounded at how they didn't fix any of these problems when people complained about them. The only thing they DID change was when doing "Free Roam" and waiting for online players, you used to be able to go off track, and go backwards and have fun. Now if you try to do that, your sackperson kills itself. Why? What is the purpose of this? Why did they take away something actually kind of fun to do while you waited for people?

This brings me also to my next point. If you play a level online and no one is there, the game only waits 60 seconds. No one ever makes it to your random level in 60 seconds, so of course you end up just playing with the AI again and of course once the course is over, its the same 3 levels to pick from.

Everyone has complained about the gameplay enough, so I don't feel its necessary for me to go into details really. Most creators just use default items and speed, and from what I've seen, there are very few actual good race tracks.

I'm just extremely disappointed in this game. I love LBP2 more than any game, and this just seems to take a dump all over it. It tries to copy its ways, but fails at almost every turn. There's not even any way to make custom music.

At the very least though, the music in this game is very nice and I enjoy that. But that seems to be the only thing I can enjoy now that I've found I can' t play random levels with random people anymore. All I can hope is that they actually change these horrible horrible decisions they've made and maybe I'll be able to come back and enjoy this game for what it is.

A place to race random people on custom tracks. Which it just is not right now.

I second this.
Exactly my thoughts.
---
=bRo= .:speCOopz:.
PSN/GT: IPh1zt
#19BigTlovesBEERPosted 1/29/2013 10:52:21 PM
Soem of the crap this game is gettign int his thread is rediculous. The loading screens dont' look pretty?? Really?

It's a dumb kart racer. Best ever on a console? No. But beyond the silly nitpicking it's actually a pretty fun game. Sorry you think like a critic and feel the need to find everything wrong with it. I hope you find joy in that somehow.

P.S.: When I play a truly crappy game, I ignore it and don't want to think about it too much after that. The last thing I want to do is go into an enthusiast-centered message board and argue with people who I KNOW LIKE THE GAME and try to convince them the game they like isn't as good as they think it is. These people are simply looking for an argument. They're either children or they're the annoying people who occupy barstools and hold court to a bunch of people who don't really listen to them.
#20Movie64Posted 2/3/2013 10:26:39 PM
I don't think this game is bad at all. It's just for compared to the crazy amount of customization you can do for Modnation Racers, it pales in comparision. Also, in the actually racing area, Sega's crossover racing games, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing and Transformed have better designed tracks, and more refined gameplay.