How to save before switching characters

#1saltal3220Posted 12/5/2012 2:13:40 PM
So ive realized that when you switch characters you lose the gold and xp that the character received since the last save. This is really irritating me because i like to switch characters alot and im losing hundreds of gold from this bug. I cant find a way to force the game to save before i switch my skylanders. Any ideas? Also im playing on wii u if it matters. I just posted here because that board is dead.
#2DahvooPosted 12/5/2012 2:44:43 PM
The experience and gold amounts are written to the figure automatically as you get them. So if you collect 400 gold from a treasure chest then immediately switch to another Skylander, that 400 gold was already saved to the first Skylander. This applies to all console version except for the 3DS version (they handle writing the info back to the figure a little differently).

Either the problem you're having really is a Wii U bug, or maybe you have a faulty portal that isn't saving the info to the figures properly.
---
GT/PSN: Dahvoo
3DS FC: 0946-2251-0734
#3saltal3220(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 2:53:15 PM
Dahvoo posted...
The experience and gold amounts are written to the figure automatically as you get them. So if you collect 400 gold from a treasure chest then immediately switch to another Skylander, that 400 gold was already saved to the first Skylander. This applies to all console version except for the 3DS version (they handle writing the info back to the figure a little differently).

Either the problem you're having really is a Wii U bug, or maybe you have a faulty portal that isn't saving the info to the figures properly.

I thought the same thing but i found this on the official website:

Q: How do I stop losing collected items whenever I remove my Skylander Champion from the Portal?

A: Try waiting a few moments before you move your Skylander Champion from the Portal. The game does not save to your Champion constantly so removing it from the portal before a save happens may cause you to lose what you have collected.

So it leads me to believe that its a normal issue. Can someone test out if this happens to them?
#4DahvooPosted 12/5/2012 3:32:19 PM
saltal3220 posted...
I thought the same thing but i found this on the official website:

Q: How do I stop losing collected items whenever I remove my Skylander Champion from the Portal?

A: Try waiting a few moments before you move your Skylander Champion from the Portal. The game does not save to your Champion constantly so removing it from the portal before a save happens may cause you to lose what you have collected.

So it leads me to believe that its a normal issue. Can someone test out if this happens to them?

Hmm... that should still mean only have to wait a few seconds before switching characters from the last piece of treasure/experience you received. That wouldn't explained why you'd lose data from what I imagine is a significant amount of play.

How about trying to put a hat on or switch a hat before removing the figure. That should write data to the figure and force it to save.
---
GT/PSN: Dahvoo
3DS FC: 0946-2251-0734
#5saltal3220(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 4:19:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Do you think you can do a quick test for me. Just go smash a few barrels and collect a few coins, then switch to another skylander and switch back. If it doesnt save can you test the limits a bit to see how long it does take to save.
#6saltal3220(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 4:26:13 PM
I called customer support. The guy said that youre not really supposed to switch your skylanders more than maybe once every 5 minutes. If you do then you risk losing all the progress your skylander made in the last few minutes. Im not sure whether this guy was giving me a load of crap or hes telling the truth. I think if this were true more people would notice.
#7RossmacdaddyPosted 12/5/2012 9:11:00 PM
saltal3220 posted...
I called customer support. The guy said that youre not really supposed to switch your skylanders more than maybe once every 5 minutes. If you do then you risk losing all the progress your skylander made in the last few minutes. Im not sure whether this guy was giving me a load of crap or hes telling the truth. I think if this were true more people would notice.

I'm sorry but that guy is talking complete BS. I can pull a Skylander off hte portal as soon as i finish collecting gold. I have never lost experience, gold, hats, or anything else due to switching.
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#8bnmpPosted 12/5/2012 10:27:20 PM
Just my 2 cents from my experience:

In switching Skylanders, I've never noticed losing anything big - like a hat or experience or money from a treasure chest. However, I have noticed it for smaller amounts of coins.

Take level 2 of S:SA, for instance - I use Drobot to open a tech gate, but then switch to another character to collect the rest of the coins. To unlock the gate and activate the bridge, Drobot collects the first couple of coins, but then when I put him back on again, that money upgrade isn't always there. It's a small thing, but I have noticed it.

I haven't noticed anything like this in Giants, so I think it does a pretty good job in saving, even when my nephew is switching out characters faster than a tornado.