Characters losing abilities/upgrades

#1BrentulusPosted 11/8/2012 4:45:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm posting with a problem I've been having since purchasing the Starter pack and some figurines for Skylanders Giants.

Every now and again, when I remove a figurine from the portal to use another character for a moment (e.g. to collect the contents of a chest, open a door, defeat a particular enemy etc.) then replace the original figurine, that figurine's upgrades, money, heroic challenges and level have been reset to an earlier point. In other words, the character's most recent progress has been lost.

This has happened several times with several characters, and is really annoying because it means that although I'm progressing through the game, the levels of the characters are not, and I keep having to do extra leg work to get the levels and upgrades back up to a strength that will allow the characters to make it through the next level.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong, or is it a sign that my hardware is faulty?

Brent.
#2RossmacdaddyPosted 11/8/2012 5:43:56 AM
Brentulus posted...
Hi all,

I'm posting with a problem I've been having since purchasing the Starter pack and some figurines for Skylanders Giants.

Every now and again, when I remove a figurine from the portal to use another character for a moment (e.g. to collect the contents of a chest, open a door, defeat a particular enemy etc.) then replace the original figurine, that figurine's upgrades, money, heroic challenges and level have been reset to an earlier point. In other words, the character's most recent progress has been lost.

This has happened several times with several characters, and is really annoying because it means that although I'm progressing through the game, the levels of the characters are not, and I keep having to do extra leg work to get the levels and upgrades back up to a strength that will allow the characters to make it through the next level.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong, or is it a sign that my hardware is faulty?

Brent.

That's really odd. From past experience I can say that data is written to figures almost immediately after something happens (i.e. getting gold, completing a heroic challenge, leveling up, etc.).

It sounds like your portal isn't writing data to characters consistently. This would account for some data saving to figures and some not. If possible, try to get your hands on another portal to test this. If you don't get any more data loss, you have your answer.

My other thought is if this is happening on more than one character... do you have a magnetic field anywhere near your figures? I suppose it's possible multiple figures would be losing data stored to them if this were true. Have you had any of these figures display error messages when putting them on the portal, or a forced reset due to corrupted character data on a figure?
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#3Brentulus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 6:24:55 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. I have had no other character-related errors, only the game has crashed a couple of times, but not while I was changing characters or anything. And the portal is in on a separate table in the middle of the room, so nowhere near any source of electricity or magnetism (except the other figurines standing around it, but I assume that's no problem?).

Normally the data seems to write fine, it's just every now and again this happens. And until now it has been fairly unpredictable, I'm sorry I can't offer any more specific information. I have played a couple of times at a friend's house, and it's never happened there, but as I said, it sometimes doesn't happen when I'm at home either. Weird.

Brent.
#4joecusPosted 11/8/2012 4:44:25 PM
Hello all - I am also having the same problem, losing upgrades when I remove char from portal. Very frustrating, any help would be appreciated. Joe
#5joecusPosted 11/9/2012 4:02:09 PM
I also noticied when playing "2 player" the life gauge counter did not appear for player 2. I got so fed up, I switched back to my original portal and that totally fixed all issues. Stinks for those who start with the "giant" series. Please let me know if anyone else has this problem. I don't know what I'm going to do since I want the second portal as a backup. thanks, Joe
#6Brentulus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 1:33:34 PM
Ok I now have a concrete example. After playing for a few hours and doing lots of switching without any problems, I switched from Hot Head to Tree Rex in chapter 11 to get into a life element zone. After collecting the treasure there, I came back out and swiched back to Hot Head, only to see that he had a different hat on. The level-up he had just gone through moments before and his most recent heroic challenges had also been wiped. This is now the fourth character of mine that this has happened to.

WTF? Is there a general quality issue with the new series portals or something? Is there any way of finding out what the exact problem might be? And what are the right channels for reporting/investigating this type of thing?

Brent.
#7RossmacdaddyPosted 11/10/2012 1:34:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it's your portal writing bad data to the figure.
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.