Granite Crusher

Sprocket

Flashwing

I'd really appreciate the help
---
Black FC: 3224 4870 9223
B2 FC: 2108-6473-3624
#2RossmacdaddyPosted 11/13/2012 10:22:10 AM
You should read the character ratings topic on the Wii board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/666531-skylanders-giants/64543436

Anyway...

Tree Rex - Treefolk Charger. Lumbering Laserer isn't bad, and the damage on the charged laser is high, but he really starts to get into trouble speed wise. Treefolk Charger is more useful IMO.

Cynder - Shadowdancer. Without a doubt. Nether Welder isn't useful since you wont be able to squeeze off all four hits of the Black Lightning in most cases. The dash moves and the Ghosts add up fast though.

Jet-Vac (regular and legendary) - Bird Blaster. Since you have both, take one down each path... you might as well. The Vac-Packeteer path gives him a very strong Suction Gun... but I'm sorry that move is terrible. He takes too much damage when using it. The Vac-Blaster becomes piercing on Bird Blaster, which is quite a welcome upgrade.

Shroomboom - Paramushroom Promotion. This path makes Shroomboom an excellent spammer. If you hold Attack 3, he will constantly send up three Paratrooper Mushrooms. If you mash Attack 1 while doing this, he'll fire a Bouncing Boomshroom inbetween shots. You can walk while doing this. The damage adds up like mad. Barrier Boost just doesn't have much in the way of damage output. :/

Chop Chop - Vampiric Warrior. He needs the sword upgrades. BADLY. Chop Chop is pretty terrible no matter what you do, but focusing on the shield doesn't make much sense.

Pop Fizz - Best of the Beast! Pop Fizz can be a little tricky to play, but he seems to be at his best on his beast path. He can keep the beast timer up by fighting, and you can switch potions to deal different special moves while in beast form. Mad Scientist is a little disappointing... your potions get stronger and you can "combine" potions... but doing so is frustrating to pull off and hurts his damage output reliability too much.

Fright Rider - Joust Jockey. Fright Rider is freakishly fast on this path, and he has three way to deal damage while jousting: the joust itself, 360 Degrees of Spear, and Entombment Strike. The latter deals 128 (IIRC) damage. It takes a little practice, but he makes an excellent Skylander.

Legendary Slam Bam - Blizzard Brawler. Thanks to Sleigh Me, he doens't have speed or range issues like he did in Spyro's Adventure. Go melee on your opponents and never look back. :)

Legendary Ignitor - Soul of the Flame. The Flame Form is even stronger in Giants because you leave blue flame trails with your Wow Pow power. Ignitor is better balanced on SotF... Blademaster just isn't worth it.

Granite Crusher - Rock Grinder. Crusher is pretty straightforward. Focus on his hammer attacks. Rubble Master is good too, but he really needs the combo opportunities on Rock Grinder otherwise his DPS suffers too much.

Sprocket - Operator. Sprocket sets great traps on this path. One of her melee combos flings mines in all directions. The Gearhead Path is too focused on the tank and makes Sprocket REALLY slow.

Flashwing - Super Shards. Flashwing spams very well on this path and gains a way to heal herself. Super Spinner is a bit of a letdown and feels redundant since her Soul Gem power basically does the same range of damage and her upgraded spin attack.
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#3sirocco23Posted 11/13/2012 9:13:34 PM
Would the Legendary variants of Slam Bam and Ignitor get Wow Pows though? They're not marked as series 2 to my knowledge. Ignitor might not matter, but if Slam Bam doesn't get Sleigh Me, that might make a difference in choosing his path.
---
Platinum FC: 2664 8120 9567, Name: Justine
#4DoctorSenseiPosted 11/14/2012 9:55:41 AM
Legendary Slam Bam and Ignitor count as S2's so they do get their Wow Pows. They also work in the first game, but appear as their regular colors instead.
#5bnmpPosted 11/14/2012 12:44:40 PM
Ross does his homework and does it well, and I agree with his choices on most of these:

Tree Rex - for me, the speed boost in the charge is nice and the elbow slam is fun, too.

Jet-Vac - being able to suck up a chompie to use for a more powerful shot is great.

Chop Chop - Improved sword attacks are better than the shield ones (this is one where I have played both power path choices).

Sprocket - The three bouncing betty mines are very useful. I would love to have the upgraded tank, but it isn't as practical most of the time.

Flashwing - Self-healing is great, and when she gets in smaller spaces, the extra shards really tear it up.

Where I don't (yet?) agree:

Cynder - I haven't played the Shadow Dancer path, and I don't doubt that Ross is more informed on this one. I simply enjoy the Lightning upgrade path. Lightning + exploding ghosts is more fun for me than just lots of ghosts.

Crusher - Again, I haven't played both paths, so I don't know how good the other combos are, dps info and such. I just like his Rubble Master moves (eg. the falling apart and exploding makes me laugh).
#6RossmacdaddyPosted 11/14/2012 1:08:03 PM
bnmp posted...
Where I don't (yet?) agree:

Cynder - I haven't played the Shadow Dancer path, and I don't doubt that Ross is more informed on this one. I simply enjoy the Lightning upgrade path. Lightning + exploding ghosts is more fun for me than just lots of ghosts.

It's too hard to set up. If the ghosts exploded like Fear Eater Ghost Roaster's ghosts it might be worth more consideration. But they don't. :/ The slowdown on the ghosts on Shadowdancer can make a big difference too. Cynder is good at stacking damage with weaker attacks, but she was never good at dealing high damage without getting hit hard in return. It boils down to how many ways she can deal damage on Shadowdancer: the dash, the ghosts (+ slow), black lightning, haunted ally. Dashing through your opponent to spam more and more ghosts adds up fast, and gives your haunted ally a lot of time to get shots in too. On Nether Welder, you have to turn around and shoot. By the time you've done that, your opponent should have a better position, and then you have to react... etc.

Crusher - Again, I haven't played both paths, so I don't know how good the other combos are, dps info and such. I just like his Rubble Master moves (eg. the falling apart and exploding makes me laugh).

Rubble Master is very good. I actually like it more than Rock Grinder for style purposes. HOWEVER... Rubble Master is minutely less effective. You are essentially walking invisible while your rocks are rolling around. Just like Swarm's Swarm Form... it's far too easy to get away from. The detonations are decent, but again... you're walking. Ranged attacks and/or chargers can get to a safe distance really easily. It's actually pretty easy to throw your hammer if someone is scrambling out of Crusher's melee range.
---
#7bnmpPosted 11/14/2012 9:27:19 PM
Ross - I could be wrong, but I think part of our difference in view is due, in part, to difference in what we play. I get the impression from your posts that your focus is primarily on PvP and how the characters match up one one one vs. another player.

I mainly play Story and Arena mode, where the a.i. is generally lacking in much "i" and it's really not that difficult. I've already got Stealth Elf and Drobot for DPS and PvP and such; so, for characters like Cynder, I generally just focus on what's fun for me to play. And Black Lightning + exploding ghosts is more fun (for me). :)
#8RossmacdaddyPosted 11/15/2012 7:03:56 AM
bnmp posted...
Ross - I could be wrong, but I think part of our difference in view is due, in part, to difference in what we play. I get the impression from your posts that your focus is primarily on PvP and how the characters match up one one one vs. another player.

I mainly play Story and Arena mode, where the a.i. is generally lacking in much "i" and it's really not that difficult. I've already got Stealth Elf and Drobot for DPS and PvP and such; so, for characters like Cynder, I generally just focus on what's fun for me to play. And Black Lightning + exploding ghosts is more fun (for me). :)

I try to keep both in mind. My ability to play PvP has dropped off considerably since the first game. The few people who played it with me lost interest quickly. Most of the analysis I do now is based on what playtesting I can accomplish with my kids... who don't quite hold the same challenge, let's say. :)

Truth be told, there are only a few Skylander paths that are absolute garbage and make the character just plain bad due to lackluster upgrades that feel incomplete or like a debuff. For example:

Tesla Dragon Zap - bouncing bolts limit your shot count even MORE, still have to manually electrify slimes.
Earthen Avenger Dino-Rang - I actually suggested this path once upon a time. *shudder* Damage output is too low on this path and traps are unreliable and for some reason don't get elemental bonuses on damage.
Artilleryman Zook - Fungal Barrier is useless and he can't defend himself without the Cactus Barriers. His HP is too low.
Blaze Dragon Sunburn - You can barely move when your breath is at full power... and it takes long to charge anyway. His other moves become mostly useless as well.
Wind Master Warnado - All he can do is summon the elemental. His spin attack deals pathetic damage and he has NO OTHER ATTACKS.

Otherwise, the "less preferred" path according to my list is still totally viable. Is Nether Welder BAD? No. I just find it less effective. It limits Cynder's options and takes away from her strongest attribute - her speed.
---