Partner Analysis 1: Ryu & Ken

#1Mrpenguin454Posted 4/27/2012 12:04:11 PM
Why choose two almost identical characters to be represented above all of the other Street Fighter characters? I think that's a question we face when it comes to EVERY game that Street Fighter will be in. What's your opinion?

-Prefer Ryu or Ken?
-Angry that there are two shotos?
-Was this decided because of more SF reps?
---
Deadpool to Servbot "LEGO called they want their promo back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32L5-LuGYA
#2Arcangel22Posted 4/28/2012 12:53:08 AM
I much prefer Ryu.

I'm not angry at two shotos because this isn't a fighting game. Granted they could've been a little more creative with their partners, but the two got some pretty cool synergy going for themselves.

Why not add more SF? It's the series that turned fighters into what they are today. I can't really blame them for bringing more of them around. Granted I myself am not a huge SF guy as I much prefer different fighters to it, but I don't deny its popularity and history.
---
I think it's high time we gave Ragna the Bloodedge his much needed training montage.
Also patiently awaiting Anarchy Reigns.
#3KrischaosPosted 4/28/2012 1:19:40 AM
Mrpenguin454 posted...
Why choose two almost identical characters to be represented above all of the other Street Fighter characters? I think that's a question we face when it comes to EVERY game that Street Fighter will be in. What's your opinion?

-Prefer Ryu or Ken?
-Angry that there are two shotos?
-Was this decided because of more SF reps?

considering their moves have different properities, the juggles would be different so its completly fine, as said earlier the synergy keeps them going
#4SDBZPosted 4/28/2012 7:30:43 AM
Who would not want to see a double shoryuken? That was awesome in Namco X Capcom!
---
I'm just a Kamen Rider passing through. You'd better remember me! - Tsukasa Kadoya, Kamen Rider Decade. PSN ID - KamenRiderShinzo
#5The_CPoCPosted 4/28/2012 8:44:15 AM
Mrpenguin454 posted...
Why choose two almost identical characters to be represented above all of the other Street Fighter characters?

Because they're the faces of Street Fighter. Player 1 and player 2 in the very first game, even. Besides, when you take NxC into account, it's doubtful that they'll be the only SF characters in the game.

Mrpenguin454 posted...
Prefer Ryu or Ken?

Personally, I prefer Ken, because red is my favorite color, and because I always liked his playstyle more than Ryu's. Though, the latter might not come into play quite as much in a game like this, so it might be a moot point.

Mrpenguin454 posted...
Angry that there are two shotos?

Not at all. This isn't a fighting game, so it doesn't matter, anyway.

Mrpenguin454 posted...
Was this decided because of more SF reps?

Possibly, but who knows. One thing to keep in mind here is that the cast was chosen by Banpresto, not Capcom. Another thing to keep in mind is that character choices will affect the storyline pretty deeply (because it's an RPG, the story will be pretty important), and having these two team up just seems like the natural thing to do when you consider their history.
---
Official Adam Warlock of the Marvel vs Capcom 3 boards
#6Oxo_64Posted 4/28/2012 11:18:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Street Fighter series, but I was a little surprised Ryu wasn't partnered up with Chun Li.

As far as I remember Ryu and Ken were/are very similar characters (moves and stuff) but Im sure they chose Ken for a reason though. Ryu/Chun Li combo too obvious maybe?
---
3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1717 - 5353
#7The_CPoCPosted 4/29/2012 11:36:05 AM(edited)
Oxo_64 posted...
I'm not a huge fan of the Street Fighter series, but I was a little surprised Ryu wasn't partnered up with Chun Li.

Well, since you're not a huge fan of the Street Fighter series, I guess it would make sense that you'd be surprised those two aren't partnered up. While Chun Li may be "the first lady of fighting games", Ken makes a lot more sense to partner up with Ryu than Chun Li. In the SF storyline, Ryu and Chun Li do know each other, but very rarely interact. Chun Li usually tends to interact more with Guile and Cammy (and Charlie, when he was still alive).

Oxo_64 posted...
Im sure they chose Ken for a reason though.

Yes, they did. The reason is because they're best friends, and spent most of their lives training together. No other character fits better with Ryu than Ken, and vice-versa.

Oxo_64 posted...
Ryu/Chun Li combo too obvious maybe?

There's nothing obvious about it. The only thing about them is that they're the most represented SF characters, each for individual reasons: Ryu because he's the main character, and Chun Li because she was the first female character of the series. But the two really don't belong together, as far as the story goes. And like I said previously, this is an RPG, so the story will play a big part.

---
Official Adam Warlock of the Marvel vs Capcom 3 boards
#8Teeleaf57Posted 4/30/2012 5:37:22 AM
I'm little disappointed Ryu/Chun li aren't teaming up, if for no other reasons then to match-up alongside Namco and Sega Jin/Xiaoyu, Akira/Pai pairs respectively.
And for someone to invevitably hang a lampshade on why it is that most fighters always seem to have a gruff, loner Japanese guy who's close friends with a perky, more upbeat Chinese girl.