Is the combat really this horrible?

#31legendriderPosted 7/5/2013 9:54:26 PM
IfOnlyForOnce posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
no skill involved with the combat

So I take it you can craft perfect combos that break shields as quickly as possible, miss almost no attacks, land maximum criticals and cross hits, all with zero effort? I find it hard to believe you're even landing many criticals in your first hour of the game.

To be fair, it's not really skill involved, more reaction time, and just precise timing.
Then again, I guess that qualifies as a skill.
I guess....then again....choosing the most efficient order of attack requires some though. So I suppose it does require skill.
Do you count reaction timing as a skill?
I mean, genuine question, I dunno.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#32ZerothmaPosted 7/5/2013 10:37:13 PM
legendrider posted...
IfOnlyForOnce posted...
Sailor Goon posted...

So I take it you can craft perfect combos that break shields as quickly as possible, miss almost no attacks, land maximum criticals and cross hits, all with zero effort? I find it hard to believe you're even landing many criticals in your first hour of the game.

To be fair, it's not really skill involved, more reaction time, and just precise timing.
I guess....then again....choosing the most efficient order of attack requires some though. So I suppose it does require skill.

A skill is simply your ability to do something well. Something that requires skill is something that requires you to do something well.

In other words, since you get better at landing crits while you practice, you develop that skill.
A large amount of combat is just remembering what is best and when. The rest is executing it well. Experience will help remove the active remembering part and it will become automatic, which can be a good sign of skill. I seem to crit like crazy with Chun-Li and Ichiro because I actively practiced with them.
---
Cleaning up inaccuracies on the internet, one idiot at a time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#33talesfan215Posted 7/5/2013 10:41:33 PM
troytholomew_3 posted...
talesfan215 posted...
People saying that you only need to mash a button to win in this game are just as bad as people saying that you can beat FF13 with just auto battle. I'm completely shocked that people this ignorant exist, I sure hope they are just trolling.

Indeed. It truly does reminds of the days when Final Fantasy XIII came out. "All the battle system takes is mashing X/A." I would laugh and think to myself how nice it must be to be that ignorant/ naive.

You often need to keep changing paradigms in FF-13 manually so you can handle the tougher bosses. Auto-battle may be useful for some scrubs, but late bosses and side-quests will eat you alive if you only rely on auto-battle.
---
It's funny, people say Vita has no games, yet defend a port to no end like MH3U, then hate on P4: Golden like its a direct, direct port. Hilarious irony.
#34ZerothmaPosted 7/5/2013 10:44:18 PM
talesfan215 posted...
troytholomew_3 posted...
talesfan215 posted...
People saying that you only need to mash a button to win in this game are just as bad as people saying that you can beat FF13 with just auto battle. I'm completely shocked that people this ignorant exist, I sure hope they are just trolling.

Indeed. It truly does reminds of the days when Final Fantasy XIII came out. "All the battle system takes is mashing X/A." I would laugh and think to myself how nice it must be to be that ignorant/ naive.

You often need to keep changing paradigms in FF-13 manually so you can handle the tougher bosses. Auto-battle may be useful for some scrubs, but late bosses and side-quests will eat you alive if you only rely on auto-battle.

That complaint was still valid because over half the game I would literally (yes, I do mean literally) not even have to look at the screen to win battles. One day I did laundry while "playing".
---
Cleaning up inaccuracies on the internet, one idiot at a time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#35Sailor Goon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:46:15 PM
legendrider posted...
IfOnlyForOnce posted...
Sailor Goon posted...

My point was that timing really is irrelevant when all I'm needing to do is spam A to get large combos and easily win fights. I see people saying "but there's other moves... there's timing involved". Yeah sure there is... but what's the point with all of that when it's made meaningless by the fact I can just sit there, hit A repeatedly at random and win? I like the rest of the game, but the combat is horrid.
---
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#36jonnovision1Posted 7/5/2013 10:47:13 PM
Zerothma posted...
talesfan215 posted...
troytholomew_3 posted...
talesfan215 posted...

That complaint was still valid because over half the game I would literally (yes, I do mean literally) not even have to look at the screen to win battles. One day I did laundry while "playing".

it's true for run-of-the-mill battles but you can barely do that on the early bosses let-alone late-game ones.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#37tallgeeseIVPosted 7/5/2013 11:07:28 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
legendrider posted...
IfOnlyForOnce posted...
Sailor Goon posted...

My point was that timing really is irrelevant when all I'm needing to do is spam A to get large combos and easily win fights. I see people saying "but there's other moves... there's timing involved". Yeah sure there is... but what's the point with all of that when it's made meaningless by the fact I can just sit there, hit A repeatedly at random and win? I like the rest of the game, but the combat is horrid.

Timing is relevant though, randomly attacking will lead you to missing a number of attacks and lower your damage output and that is ignoring ideal timing for critical hits.
It isn't a big deal in the early game, but later on when higher HP grunts and varied weight classes become common you will really feel the difference between randomly attacking and stringing crits together.
---
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9742/fodderkg8.png
-_-'
#38singhellotakuPosted 7/6/2013 12:20:25 AM
Yes, its boring as sin
#39KillDozer123Posted 7/6/2013 12:42:39 AM
Sailor Goon posted...

But that's the thing, you don't hit A repeatedly at random...in fact, you can't.

If you're going to rant about this game, actually PLAY the game. It's like ranting on a Mario game, yet you're playing a Final Fantasy game. XD
---
They see me Kahn'in'! They Hatin'!
#40impossible2beatPosted 7/6/2013 2:45:15 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]