how do i use Xbox 360 controller on PC?

#1rutgurtPosted 9/24/2012 7:24:26 AM
I can't wait any longer for a keyboard/mouse mod that may or may not come. I have given up and will play the game with a controller, but I don't know how to hook up my Xbox 360 controller to the PC. The "official" way of doing it requires some receiver, according to the Xbox 360 Microsoft website. This seems ridiculous since the Xbox 360 wireless controller can still communicate with the Xbox 360 via USB. How do i make it work for PC?
---
Currently playing: Kingdoms of Amalur, Star Wars Old Republic, Mass Effect 3
#2Rimmer_DallPosted 9/24/2012 7:26:35 AM
Get a wired controller. Plug it in. Play.
---
http://www.quakelive.com/#!profile/statistics/Cat
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rimmer7
#3rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 7:28:49 AM
that is utterly stupid.
---
#4rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 7:29:35 AM
So i have to spend more money just to play Dark Souls using a controller i don't even like.
---
#5Sputnik1337Posted 9/24/2012 7:33:35 AM
This seems ridiculous since the Xbox 360 wireless controller can still communicate with the Xbox 360 via USB

this is where you went wrong
---
z
#6rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 7:36:26 AM
well it's kind of strange, because i've had WiFi controllers that wouldn't establish a connection with the Xbox 360 until I had it plugged into the Xbox via USB. I thought it was some kind of wireless problem between the U.S. console and a UK controller.
---
#7HollowNinjaPosted 9/24/2012 7:53:52 AM
well it's kind of strange, because i've had WiFi controllers that wouldn't establish a connection with the Xbox 360 until I had it plugged into the Xbox via USB. I thought it was some kind of wireless problem between the U.S. console and a UK controller.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL
#8Sputnik1337Posted 9/24/2012 8:09:24 AM

most likely because you didn't (properly) link the controllers to the xbox before plugging the charging wire in. The wire will link the controller to the console and provide power, but it doesnt actually send information between them.

yeah, its stupid, just like pretty much every thing involving microsoft's accessories, but thats how it is.
---
z
#9TheDarkone21Posted 9/24/2012 8:11:13 AM
HollowNinja posted...

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Yea I'm inclined to agree with hollow on this one. I've bought controllers straight from China off ebay and they work fine with my Xbox. Do you not know how to sync then with the console our something?

On topic: just get a cheap PC gamepad and use that. I'm using an old Logitech dual action with some program (xpadder maybe?) and it's working perfectly.
---
http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/2191630/real-men-o.gif
GT: IwuzPh34rless
#10Slyde1052Posted 9/24/2012 8:42:48 AM
rutgurt posted...
I can't wait any longer for a keyboard/mouse mod that may or may not come. I have given up and will play the game with a controller, but I don't know how to hook up my Xbox 360 controller to the PC. The "official" way of doing it requires some receiver, according to the Xbox 360 Microsoft website. This seems ridiculous since the Xbox 360 wireless controller can still communicate with the Xbox 360 via USB. How do i make it work for PC?

The Wireless controller needs a proprietary usb reciever for pc. The 360 has said hardware built in. I suggest getting a wired xbox controller (Most will work, though if you can get an original wired 360 controller, that's your best bet). I use it to great effect. It only needs a driver to work.

Barring that, if your computer has the right Bluetooth hardware (Or you get the right one as a USB dongle), you can use several methods to connect a PS3 Dualshock wirelessly. This however can get a bit complicated as you'll be bouncing around drivers and such to devices that, no offense (Serious, no offense), you probably don't know exist within your machine, as your misuse of terms and seemingly confused way you talk about this indicate you might not be experienced with these types of setups.

Just based on that I would suggest getting a wired xbox 360 controller then downloading the driver corresponding to your version of Windows (If you don't know, right click "my computer" and select "Properties", it should tell you there.) from here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support

And to clarify, the USB plug for the wireless controller is just a power cable. It is for use with the battery pack, but will power the controller even if the pack is removed. The 360 and controller are still communicating wirelessly.

And finally I think there actually IS a mod for better KB/M controll.
---
GT: Rivvik