So, looks like I need to completely remake my PvP character.

#21Cvdf3Posted 10/10/2012 12:11:11 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
Cvdf3 posted...
r2 always thrusts, instead of thrust, then upward slash

Extremely useful for getting rollbsd

-_- everything can get you roll bs'd (spears may be the hardest due to their range and speed, but staying out of range and chipping health isn't exactly "skillful" play...)

It's one of the bigger flaws with the pvp combat in the game and why the idea of competitive pvp is a joke (not that people min/maxing builds and having competitions and stuff is bad; I do it too). Everything has a counter except roll bs (a good one any way, but if you are messing up roll bs's you are going to have bigger problems). Simply wait for attacks, iframe through them, critical attack, pvp.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#22ArucardPosted 10/12/2012 9:31:23 AM
@Foxhound3857
@Fafnir

It is as Cvdf3 said, the pure pvp system in this game (and its predecessor) isn't exactly deep. If you go deep into it you will break it quite easily and the way the rolling/cartwheeling mechanic works (the invincibility frames in particular) certainly has something to do with it.

For people like you guys who just love the thrill of highly organised 1v1 battles I would actually suggest disallowing rolling. And to make it more interesting I would also suggest fighting in an area with a lot of geographical diversity so the terrain becomes a more important factor in the fight.

As for your reply to me, Foxhound3857. Do note that your original post poses no questions or suggestions apart from asking to be Dex_Pyromaniac's apprentice. Something you could have easily done via private message.
---
Straight to the pointless.
#23Dex_PyromaniacPosted 10/12/2012 9:59:07 AM
Rollbs only works on certain weapons, spears are actually one of them (if you use flip ring) and even then ONLY if they play with lock on. A slight change of angle and most of the time unless you are godly at predicting, you arent gna be rollbsing crap

The way I like to look at skill in PvP in this game is as follows:

There are certain levels of PvP maturity:

-PvP newcomer - has very little clue about PvP but in general fights with very similar style to how they do in PvE, thus usually hiding behind shields and swinging at the most expected times. They can either mature into the PvP noob, or the PvP student.

-PvP noob - complains about everything which makes him lose, especially sensitive to backstabs, and has a tendency to call them 'lagstabs'. Usually doesnt move on from this maturity level but sometimes whether due to an outside stimulus or a divine intervention might move up to become PvP student

-PvP student - has a slight clue of at least whats going on, knows about how latency works and keeps complaining to a minimum (but still complains nevertheless) also can abuse latency with a few tricks more or less. Usually moves on to become PvP over-eager student, and sometimes skips that stage to become PvP adept

-PvP over-eager student - this is the vast majority of people, they know about everything there is (dead angles, pivotstabs, etc. you name it they know it) but can only use about half of them effectively, and also puts way too much emphasis on these things importance in pvp even if they are far from it. Can sometimes mature into PvP adept but usually gets stuck at this level

-PvP adept - these guys know whats actually important and viable in pvp, and also know how to use these things and also how to avoid/counter them. He wont usually get too much into 'theory' behind pvp but rather just plays. Can later on mature into PvP old timer

-PvP old timer - No longer pays attention to anything in pvp just uses the things pvp adept also does from a gut feeling, and punishes a lot of things punishable. Can at times still derp out, just as everyone else

Its kinda silly to look at it this way but it actually works if you think about it.
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
#24Foxhound3857(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 11:11:44 AM
Arucard, I make a lot of threads because I like to talk to people and promote conversation and game-related discussion. So far it's been pretty good, and so far you're the only one who has a problem with it.

Just go with the flow man.
---
My Guitar Hero 3 Wii FC: 4038-8152-2179
#25L10nH34RtPosted 10/14/2012 2:55:04 AM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
WALL O' TEXT

LOL needs a new level just for me. PvP over-eager old timer.
#26ArucardPosted 10/14/2012 6:55:42 AM(edited)
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
-PvP over-eager student - this is the vast majority of people, they know about everything there is (dead angles, pivotstabs, etc. you name it they know it) but can only use about half of them effectively, and also puts way too much emphasis on these things importance in pvp even if they are far from it.

Judging from my experience playing the PS3 and PC version I would say most people do not fall within this category. Certainly not when it comes to knowledge of the mechanics of PVP.

Ironically, I think that actually makes the game more fun to play...
---
Straight to the pointless.