Dark Souls PC Frame-rate problems.

#1FirdeyePosted 10/10/2012 10:33:23 AM
I know people have posted about getting stuck on 10-15 FPS on Dark Souls PC a lot... but I have tried literally everything.

So I have a Nvidia 670 Gigabyte, a quad core intel 6600 2.4 ghz, and 4 gigs of ram Win 32 xp, and I just started the game (in Undead Berg) at the moment, and my FPS is literally locked at 10-15, it will not budge an inch.

I have tried configuring the Nvidia control panel, turning every on highest,lowest, medium, I have tried all kinds of fixes and nothing has worked, I checked the specs and I seem to meet the recommended requirements fine. Any tips or anything will be appreciated. Thank you for your time. PS: I am running no mods, I have turned AA and motion blur off, I just have the regular Dark Souls on PC, It was running find in Firelink, AMAZING, but then I got to Undead Berg.
#2daredevilwljPosted 10/10/2012 11:36:53 AM
i am in the same boat as you. I am stuck at 15 FPS. When i am going through areas where there is nothing going on -- I will stutter in the 20s, but whenever there is action on the screen it always goes to 15 or below. I have basically given up trying to get it fixed. I have tried almost everything I can find. As long as it stays 15 or more it is very playable. However, I am a 360 "veteran" so I have alot of experience with the game. If I was a noob it may be alot harder to deal with the 15 FPS.

My laptop isn't a powerhouse but I can run Borderlands 2 30 FPS + and Guild Wars 2 at 50 FPS, so Dark Souls shouldn't be a problem.
#3BoswerLKPosted 10/10/2012 2:33:24 PM
for starters, you want to upgrade to win 7 64-bit. 32 bit OS's can only use around 2.8gbs of ram, so a good chunk of yours is being absolutely wasted

that said, the game is mostly cpu intensive, since it's more or less a badly made 360 emulator. it doesn't use gpu that much, and your card is pretty good, so I doubt that's your bottleneck

I'd suggest trying to optimize your cpu more for this game (closing background programs, OC'ing, etc). probably not worth all the effort just for 1 game though
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"stupidity is a cure for itself"
#4Dex_PyromaniacPosted 10/10/2012 2:56:38 PM
Configure both data.exe and darksouls.exe to the following in nvidia panel

Power management mode - prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering anisotropic sample etc. - on
Texture filtering quality - performance
Texture filtering trilinear optimization - on

I did this, turned off AA and motion blur in game, and have been flawlessly running it at 30 fps ever since (with a 660 gtx laptop card so yours should handle it easily)
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
#5ebonystallionPosted 10/10/2012 4:17:36 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...

I did this, turned off AA and motion blur in game, and have been flawlessly running it at 30 fps ever since (with a 660 gtx laptop card so yours should handle it easily)

How would I do this on an AMD card?
#6BoswerLKPosted 10/10/2012 8:23:31 PM
ebonystallion posted...
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...

How would I do this on an AMD card?

catalyst control center, or ati tray tools
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"stupidity is a cure for itself"
#7psiIocyborgPosted 10/11/2012 1:56:18 AM
Must be your operating system. You want windows 7 64 bit, and maybe a bit more ram and overclock your CPU (get a decent fan for it). I have the same processor as you, but overclocked to 3.4ghz, 8gb ddr3 1600, and a gtx 570. Game runs at 30 fps with dsfix, 1920x1200. Motion blur / AA off.
#8daredevilwljPosted 10/11/2012 9:15:35 AM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...

i did this and my frame rate did increase somewhat. it still fluctuates like crazy, but it isn't always on 15 fps
#9daredevilwljPosted 10/15/2012 8:03:44 AM
I am definitely confident now that it is completely the software's fault that I only get 15 FPS on a regular basis. I purchased Batman Arkham City the other day and I am getting 50 FPS...no problem. There is no way in hell that Dark Souls in alot more advanced technically than Batman AC.
#10Edge_of_AdaPosted 10/15/2012 11:35:20 AM
Weeeiiird. I have a gimped ATI Radeon HD 5450 and an AMD Athlon X3 processor, four gigs of ram, and no slowdowns except a teeny bit with bonfire resting and the white light leading to the Kiln.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die