System requirements?

#1GibbeynatorPosted 12/9/2012 12:41:23 PM
I'm researching whether or not my computer will run this game, and I'm running into two contradictory sets of system requirements. The pre-release set of requirements are as follows (taken from http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/21/dark-souls-pc-system-requirements-mic-needed-for-mp-render-eternal-damnation-on-1gb-ram/):

Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support

And a second list of system requirements post-release, on the Steam page:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+ or AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 GHz+
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 8GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX+ or ATI Radeon HD 4870+
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE, Microsoft Xbox 360® Controller for Windows® (or equivalent) is strongly recommended.
---
It is pitch black in here, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue *CHOMP* Well... I warned him...
#2ShieftainPosted 12/9/2012 1:48:25 PM
I'd say the Steam one is closer to the requirements.

What are your computer specs anyway?
---
"Why must the good die young?!" - Sheen, from Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius
#3Gibbeynator(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:53:16 PM
Pretty much standard. 4 gigs of memory, quad core processor, 9800 GT graphics card. YouGamers already says I'm short on graphics.
---
It is pitch black in here, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue *CHOMP* Well... I warned him...
#4temgunPosted 12/9/2012 2:14:38 PM
Remember that if you are going to use the DSFix (which is almost mandatory), the system requirements are higher.
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#5NingishzidaPosted 12/9/2012 5:37:45 PM
System requirements are always, always exaggerated, without fail. this is cuz most ppl who use PCs are bumbling noobs who bog down their OS with loads of malware running in the background.
should be able to run DSFix at 1080p/60fps with ease
#6ShieftainPosted 12/10/2012 7:29:03 AM
Ningishzida posted...
System requirements are always, always exaggerated, without fail. this is cuz most ppl who use PCs are bumbling noobs who bog down their OS with loads of malware running in the background.

Um, no. I have a GTX 660 Ti (which is at least 4x faster than a 9800GT) and even then in some parts (like Blighttown and Oolacile Township Dungeon) the game will drop down to 30 fps. And I also have my CPU overclocked to 4.2 GHz ('tis an i5 2500k). So yeah...
---
#7Neo_HeartlessPosted 12/10/2012 8:26:56 AM
Shieftain posted...
Ningishzida posted...

Um, no. I have a GTX 660 Ti (which is at least 4x faster than a 9800GT) and even then in some parts (like Blighttown and Oolacile Township Dungeon) the game will drop down to 30 fps. And I also have my CPU overclocked to 4.2 GHz ('tis an i5 2500k). So yeah...

That's just poor optimization though.
---
This is more intense than that time I forgot how to DO A BARREL ROLL!
Then I remembered to press Z or R twice.
#8ShieftainPosted 12/10/2012 8:38:02 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
Shieftain posted...
Ningishzida posted...

That's just poor optimization though.

Exactly. That is why the game most likely won't run as well as our buddy Ningishzida says it will on TC's rig.
---