what is the best order to play the god of war series in?

#1AccolonPosted 2/17/2013 10:34:05 AM
Including ascension of course.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XAMp8.jpg
#2QuadManXPosted 2/17/2013 10:57:50 AM
The chronological order.

Ascension, Chains of Olympus, GoW, Ghost of Sparta, GoW2 and lastly GoW3.
---
To become Chibi: Hold your prana like "Gyuu", squeeze it like "Myuu" and harden it like "Gachi" -- Rider (Eco Rider Kanzenhan)
#3ShengaliPosted 2/17/2013 12:06:57 PM
They say for a first EVER playthrough that you should do them in release order, so that the gameplay/graphic differences don't put you off - and that prequels don't ruin the magic of earlier installments. Personally, whatever - I've already played them all. So like the poster above, I play them chronologically.
#4Tbar67Posted 2/17/2013 3:09:29 PM
For your first time the answer is almost always release order. Whether its the story or gameplay you are after. Chronological order usually takes away from the experience somewhat, on your first playthrough.
---
I'M GETTING SLEEPY!! ..................... I FEEL ASLEEP!!
#5LordoftheCastlePosted 2/18/2013 1:28:32 AM
It's always production order. Anything else is wrong.
---
Meet me bak at mah castle 4 sum wiked storwies...
There will be delicious /cake/ :3
#6JimdbPosted 2/18/2013 1:40:17 AM
LordoftheCastle posted...

+1
---
You want bugs go play Lost Planet. This is war boy, no bugs or liberals allowed.
-Nick_GF
#7Argonar_AlfaranPosted 2/18/2013 6:47:24 AM
I disagree, considering story AND gameplay experience, I would definitely recommend playing the games in the following order.

Chains of Olympus, God of War, Ghost of Sparta, God of War 2, God of War 3.
Since I have never played Ascension I can not say too much about it, but since there are most likely lots of new Features, it should be played last.

I agree that the Console games should be played in order, but the handheld versions are watered down games (especially chains of olympus) so it's good to fit them before/between other titles, especially since the gameplay experience and their place in the story fit each other pretty well.

I played the games in almost that order (only ghost of Sparta after 3, because gos didn't exist back then) and looking back now, I would play them definitely in the order I suggested.
Going from God of War 2 back to Chains of Olympus can be a pain!
Ghost of Sparta is a lot better, but not as good as 3 and not as long as 2.
#8Hotel_SecurityPosted 2/18/2013 10:48:22 AM
^Donít listen to this at allÖ

Itís this. Itís always this. Play in order it is released and you will never, ever miss a single reference. People shouldnít even have to ask this.

You kidding? If he plays Chains first, he may not even want to play the rest.
#9ShengaliPosted 2/18/2013 11:59:53 AM
Hotel_Security posted...
^Donít listen to this at allÖ

Itís this. Itís always this. Play in order it is released and you will never, ever miss a single reference. People shouldnít even have to ask this.

As I said in my post, for a first EVER playthrough you go in release order. However, I feel like after that it isn't "wrong" to go chronologically. It gives the games a slightly different flavor, and you don't have to worry about those references - as you already know them (having played through before).

Also, while Chains is kind of horrible, it's thankfully short enough to not make the pain last. The end moment in the Fields of Elysium with Calliope will forever leave it's mark on me as one of the most painful things he's probably ever had to do (and, in a way, makes the whole game "worth it" to me... IMO, of course). Of course, I say this as a father myself, and not a rage-fueled killing machine.
#10Argonar_AlfaranPosted 2/19/2013 7:59:14 AM
Everybody who says that Production Order is ALWAYS the best doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. (Ever heard of Lufia? The first game spoils the ending of the second one after like 10 minutes or so.)

It's true that most of the time release order is better than any other order, not only because of the story, but also because the gameplay experience normally gets better and upgrade is always better than downgrade. But there are exceptions and God of War is one of them.

Chains of Olympus after God of War 2 is just plain awfull, most likely he wouldn't bother finishing it at this point. It's better to start with this game, where it only gets better afterwards.

And the same thing applies to Ghost of Sparta. Playing it after 3? That's when the story is over and the hype is gone. Why should someone play it after the seeing the climax of the story, it doesn't make any sense. Especially since it's only a sidestory.

Hotel_Security posted...

Chains of Olympus is the worst game, but it's not that bad and it's a good starting point, because
a) It just gets better from here
b) It's shorter and simpler, with less weapons
c) It's one of the prequels were you don't have to know anything about the story. I have to know, because this is the first game God of War Game I ever played.