Kratos is one of the worst video game character ever created.

#121Eureka_Seven_RLPosted 3/14/2013 9:46:41 PM
Blueprotoss posted...
Eureka_Seven_RL posted...
EliteGuard99 posted...
To the smart, this is already common knowledge TC, but to those who are not they will never understand and defend their jerk of a character to the death.

For those willing to take that extra step and understand why Kratos is one of the worst characters in gaming, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtgA6SaHHa0

And we have a winner! True answer
/Topic

How is insulting a character based on violence and looks fair. If thats the case then wouldn't Mario be on the top of the list based on how many things he's killed in the name of Peach.

Did you even watch that? Where did Mario come from?
---
Free month of Gamefly: http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/lP6fg
http://psnprofiles.com/crow-sama
#122SlaveofHeliosPosted 3/14/2013 9:58:11 PM
Kratos being the cause of his own tragedies is exactly what is supposed to be happening. It's the major theme of Greek mythology: everybody, even the gods themselves, fall victim to hubris.

The problem is, people have grown up on the sanitized versions of the Greek stories (Clash of the Titans, Disney's Hercules, Legendary Journeys, etc, etc), so they don't realize that Kratos is in some ways NICER than the original heroes and deities.
#123NeotheLightPosted 3/14/2013 10:04:56 PM
Kratos is a villain.

Destroyer
Homicidal maniac
Jerk
Psychopath
Tragic Villain until GOW 1.
---
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
#124simonsteelePosted 3/14/2013 10:09:49 PM(edited)
Kratos is the worst video game character of all time. He screams and yells all the way through games, throws hissy fits, etc, and because he is so strong his hissy fits turn into bloodbaths. An antihero, by the way, is likeable by definition. That is what makes them an antihero and not a flat out antagonist.

I really hate the misogynistic undertones of this series too, or the blatant overtones in the third. Once you smash that princess in the grinder I was done with the game. How am I supposed to be connected to the character at all at that point? The problem is a lot of these games don't have real writers, just developers who don't understand character or narrative. Ah well. Video games will wallow in the shallows of mediocrity for a long time if this series is held up as the current pinnacle. Game narratives need to achieve much, much more to be taken seriously.

And the original myths feature a cast of gods and demigods that were very unlikeable, true, but this isn't the B.C. era, our cultures tend to not gravitate to that story telling anymore. And even then, ancient myths had very likeable heroes and antiheroes. Hector from the Iliad is about a likeable a hero as you can find, and Odysseus is a cunning antihero that is easy to go for, for example. Kratos misses the mark completely.
---
Check out my new zombie novel, "Archetype" www.simonleezombie.com
#125SlaveofHeliosPosted 3/15/2013 5:33:00 AM
You're not supposed to be connected with Kratos. He's a horrible, disgusting wretch.

Do you feel connected with Achilles when he throws a fit over Agamemnon stealing his captured slave girl?
#126BlueprotossPosted 3/15/2013 6:58:12 AM
Blueprotoss posted...
EliteGuard99 posted...
To the smart, this is already common knowledge TC, but to those who are not they will never understand and defend their jerk of a character to the death.

For those willing to take that extra step and understand why Kratos is one of the worst characters in gaming, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtgA6SaHHa0

And we have a winner! True answer
/Topic

How is insulting a character based on violence and looks fair. If thats the case then wouldn't Mario be on the top of the list based on how many things he's killed in the name of Peach.

Did you even watch that? Where did Mario come from?

That video is a joke just like most videos on youtube. Oddly enough Mario could be described similar to Kratos since he kills millions in the name of Princess Peach for revenge. Either way that list can twist most characters into what they actually aren't like Kratos. Kratos was just a Sparta general that cared for his family enough to make a blood oath with Ares while he keeps on putting his family in front of his mind because he loves them so much while the bloodthirsty rage of revenge shows through every now and then. Plus you shouldn't forget that his time period is in Ancient Greece not modern times, which is pretty much a basic Greek story. Btw you should know that most hack n' slashes have heroes/heroines that are in similar scenarios, backgrounds, and characterization to Kratos like Dante, Conan, Ryu Hayabusa, Bayonetta, and Raiden to name a few examples.
#127BlueprotossPosted 3/15/2013 7:00:37 AM
NeotheLight posted...
Kratos is a villain.

Destroyer
Homicidal maniac
Jerk
Psychopath
Tragic Villain until GOW 1.

How is that when Ares was the villian for most of the series until Zeus took up that role in God of War 2 hence why Ares and Zeus earned the title of antagonist while Kratos earned the title of protagonist.
#128BlueprotossPosted 3/15/2013 7:21:55 AM
simonsteele posted...
Kratos is the worst video game character of all time. He screams and yells all the way through games, throws hissy fits, etc, and because he is so strong his hissy fits turn into bloodbaths. An antihero, by the way, is likeable by definition. That is what makes them an antihero and not a flat out antagonist.

I really hate the misogynistic undertones of this series too, or the blatant overtones in the third. Once you smash that princess in the grinder I was done with the game. How am I supposed to be connected to the character at all at that point? The problem is a lot of these games don't have real writers, just developers who don't understand character or narrative. Ah well. Video games will wallow in the shallows of mediocrity for a long time if this series is held up as the current pinnacle. Game narratives need to achieve much, much more to be taken seriously.

And the original myths feature a cast of gods and demigods that were very unlikeable, true, but this isn't the B.C. era, our cultures tend to not gravitate to that story telling anymore. And even then, ancient myths had very likeable heroes and antiheroes. Hector from the Iliad is about a likeable a hero as you can find, and Odysseus is a cunning antihero that is easy to go for, for example. Kratos misses the mark completely.

It sounds like you neither understand how someone would have lived in Ancient Greece nor feel when your family is killed right in front of you. You do realize that most anti-heroes including Kratos are protagonists unless if the story calls from them to go against another protagonist because they would become an antagonist. While this can happen to anyway even Superman has become an antagonist from time to time based on the story thats presented alone.

How is Kratos misogynist when he treats everyone equally whether they're in his way or out of his way. He doesn't promote violence against women but he will kill to survive just like most people is his time would do. It seems like you're jumping the gun here because you think there's no narrative, no character development, and no "real writers" solely based on the violence that occurs while I wonder if you say that about every M-rated video game.

Yet you forget that the story is based in Ancient Greece not modern times and likability of characters are based on opinion. You do realize that Odysseus is a hero while he's no knight in shining armor like Superman. A Greek example of an anti-hero would be Achilles since he did what he wanted based on his "immortality" while he was no basic image of an anti-hero. Heck you could say that Hercules was a hero, anti-hero, or both based on what ever angle you look at based on everything that he did in Greek mythology.
#129Dark_MetalSonicPosted 3/15/2013 8:01:02 AM
Ares tricked Kratos, he said so himself, to make him a great warrior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29oAqm4iCpw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m38s
#130FatCrampedWristPosted 3/15/2013 8:57:35 AM(edited)
Hardly anyone "gets" the ancient Greeks. The Iliad was essentially their bible, young Greek boys memorized it, and the exemplary hero of this "bible" was Achilles NOT Hector. Kinship was important to these people (ex - two cousins run into each other on the battlefield, they trade armors, and return and claim they killed the other guy). However, being the courageous master butcher under emotionally-out-of-control circumstances was what was expected of you at that time. Describing a guy sleeping with all of a father's daughters under one roof (i.e., Hercules and Thespius's 50) and a mother ripping her son's head off (Euripides' Bacchae) were acceptable norms of storytelling in Greek culture. Ripping a goat limb from limb (i.e. sparagmos) was an acceptable ritual in Greek culture. The list goes on and on and Kratos happens to reflect some of that throughout these games. So if you find ancient Greek culture distasteful then you should come right out and say it instead of framing the issue as being simply a crappy plot.

When the Penny Arcade narrator (in the video posted earlier) says that the games need to be held to a higher standard he needs to indicate that he means "his" standard, and not necessarily that of the ancient Greeks who inspired these games. Yes, these are ultimately modern stories and no they are hardly perfect but I stand behind Santa Monica's artistic license in telling them.

What next? If you read actual books like Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield will you then go on a video game forum and cry about how especially brutal and unfair life could be back then and how that kind of "art" doesn't belong in a video game?