what is the "official" chronological order of the God of War series?

#1zaiwenPosted 12/15/2013 9:04:22 PM
being an avid Playstation supporter, i have only played the original God of War for under an hour... With the xmas break coming, I can expend a few days of gaming so I'm in the market of picking up the GoW saga... But my dilemma is should I pick Ascension? Or get the GoW saga which from my understanding that all 5 games are included. I just don't want to risk either being spoiled or end up confused and lost in the story.
---
GT & PSN: zaiwen3
#2mung_feverPosted 12/16/2013 12:17:02 AM
I recently picked up and finished Ascension, and it renewed my interest in the series too. I finally got around to playing CoO and am looking forward to GoS.

To answer your question though, the chronological order is:
GoW:A > GoW:CoO > GoW > GoW:GoS > GoW II > GoW III

The order of release is:
GoW > GoW II > GoW:CoO > GoW III > GoW:GoS > GoW:A

If you donít want to be spoiled, the order of release is probably the safest bet. But you really only have to play GoW first since it reveals Kratosí backstory, which the other games may spoil. After that, you can probably go back to Ascension and continue in chronological order if you want.
#3PLUG-28Posted 12/16/2013 1:46:46 AM
Zaiwen, get the God of War Saga first without doubt, it is a much, much better purchase.
GoW: Ascensiůn is a good game but is the second worst game in the series.

Excellent: GoW II, GoW III
Very Good: GoW, Ghost of Sparta
Good: Ascensiůn, Chains of Olympus
#4Hotel_SecurityPosted 12/16/2013 9:37:50 AM
TC, definitely play in release order. They basically assume you know the story of GoW1 in all of the games that come after, even the prequels. Ascension's a mess so only grab it if you really like the series and want to try them all.
#5SlaveofHeliosPosted 12/19/2013 10:40:14 AM
Start with GoW1. Then do the two PSP games, Chains and Ghost. Then GoW2 and 3.

I feel like that's the best balance between story and gameplay evolutions without back- or side-tracking.
#6CLupulaPosted 1/2/2014 7:52:44 AM
For someone new to the series, I usually recommend the play in chronological order, CoO, GOW, GoS, GOW II, GOW III, but having beaten Ascension yesterday, there's no way this game should be played first.

It's a weird prequel in that it still requires you to know the other games. You can start with Chains of Olympus fine, with no previous knowledge of the series. In fact, it doesn't really spoil anything. I had a friend who started with it and she was still surprised at the reveal in GOW that it was Kratos who killed his family. All CoO does is say that they're dead and he works in service to the gods. Plus, it has the worst gameplay, so you're taking a big step up, going from that to GOW.

With Ghost of Sparta, which I think works amazingly well if played between GOW and GOW II.

Ascension, on the other hand, if it's your first God of War, I'd imagine the story would be a sparse, confusing mess. It's not great having played the others, so I can only imagine with no previous knowledge.

So, I'd recommend chronological order except for Ascension, which should then be played after GOW III.
#7Hotel_SecurityPosted 1/2/2014 9:57:04 AM
I usually recommend the play in chronological order, CoO, GOW, GoS, GOW II, GOW III

For one, CoO does not happen before GoW1 so this is incorrect anyway. For two, NO suggestion should involve someone not playing GoW1 first. It explains the family getting killed and itís presented in a way that is nicely done and itís really the only decent storytelling in the series. All the other games assume you know this happened, even for the prequels, so anything else would spoil it.

With Ghost of Sparta, which I think works amazingly well if played between GOW and GOW II.

I donít. Itís an after-the-fact concept where they came up with some flimsy reason for Kratos to want to attack the godsí cities. Another attempt to make him sympathetic. We didnít need it before. Donít need it now.

Ascension, on the other hand, if it's your first God of War, I'd imagine the story would be a sparse, confusing mess.

Iíd say they all will since any new gamer would have no clue what happened to Kratosí family since itís never said right out what happened. But, yeah, Ascension would be the worst of any to start first. Not to mention that itís the worst game so if want someone to actually like the series, itís best to not start with the game that is far worse than the others. I wouldnít want them to play CoO first for the same reason.
#8CLupulaPosted 1/2/2014 2:16:04 PM
Chains of Olympus does happen before GOW1
#9Retro_JunkyPosted 1/2/2014 2:51:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Retro_JunkyPosted 1/2/2014 3:02:24 PM
If you are referring to the actual story line is in this order...
God of War: Ascension
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War: Betrayal
God of War II
God of War III

And their releasing time is in this order:
God of War (PS2)
God of War II (PS2)
God of War: Betrayal (Mobile)
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)