Ugh...

#11BringerOfPiePosted 4/26/2012 11:31:37 AM
The first two titles printed money for Nintendo. They were both very good but very safe games, but seeing how wide the appeal was for each, chances are lightning is gonna strike a third time here for Nintendo's bank account.

I think because of that, I've suddenly become a much bigger fan of Mario's 3D titles than the 2D ones. This game will both sell a billion more 3DS systems and do very well with critics, but even though this series is called "New" Super Mario Bros, it doesn't push the envelope anywhere.

I especially agree with you about the visuals, though. Wario Land: Shake It was a freaking gorgeous title, but even if they stuck with the same STYLE as the first two NSMB games, I kinda wish they'd at least try altering the environments.
#12DBeanPosted 4/26/2012 12:23:45 PM
I don't know if I'd call the second one "safe" since it was the first time Nintendo had done simultaneous co-op for their series.
#13Iggy_KoopaPosted 4/26/2012 3:22:48 PM
As far as sprites go, that's not really needed, as it is actually easier from a technical sense when using the 3-D models (meaning you don't have to make completely different sprites for the front, back and the side). The world themes however are a legit complaint. They have been sticking a little too close to SMB3. Themes like a city or a factory (even if that is more of a DK thing) would be plenty welcome change of pace.
#14pikachupwnagePosted 4/26/2012 3:47:24 PM
DBean posted...
I don't know if I'd call the second one "safe" since it was the first time Nintendo had done simultaneous co-op for their series.
---
I don't post often but when I do.....I triple post. Stay posty my friends -Lord Frood
Official Special ops beserker general of the NDF
#15BringerOfPiePosted 4/26/2012 4:09:19 PM
The co-op was the big sell of the Wii version, but the core game was still the same mechanics as the DS version, especially since the stages were still designed with single players in mind (I mean, maintaining your sanity in multiplayer beyond World 1 was near impossible).

Look, the stage design of these games is as brilliant as ever, but I've still gotten bored. (though granted, I've gotten bored of video games in general and haven't had the ambition to play anything more than 10 hours in the last few years)
#16BabyLuigiOnFirePosted 4/26/2012 4:25:19 PM
Nin3DSFan posted...
LeftyGreenMario posted...
The topic title sums up my reaction to this game nicely. Really? I'm tired of games based on Super Mario Bros. 3 and New Super Mario Bros. games.

OMG!!! A New Super Mario Bros. game based on New Super Mario Bros.? Never!

OMG!!! You totally missed how she said "games" in general and not "New Super Mario Bros. games"!
#17Nin3DSFanPosted 4/26/2012 4:47:12 PM
BabyLuigiOnFire posted...
Nin3DSFan posted...
LeftyGreenMario posted...
The topic title sums up my reaction to this game nicely. Really? I'm tired of games based on Super Mario Bros. 3 and New Super Mario Bros. games.

OMG!!! A New Super Mario Bros. game based on New Super Mario Bros.? Never!

OMG!!! You totally missed how she said "games" in general and not "New Super Mario Bros. games"!

She clearly said based on "New Super Mario Bros. games".

What's next? Mario Kart based on Mario Kart games?
#18LeftyGreenMarioPosted 4/26/2012 4:57:24 PM
Do you think sequels aren't based on the preceding games? :P This game is yet, another new family member of the New Super Mario Bros. series.
#19SonicFan188Posted 5/1/2012 12:23:51 PM
Iggy_Koopa posted...
As far as sprites go, that's not really needed, as it is actually easier from a technical sense when using the 3-D models (meaning you don't have to make completely different sprites for the front, back and the side).

This very much, 2D sprites are overrated. 3D models can produce better looking characters with less effort.