A VERY simple way to make NSMB2 much better (and SM3DL for that matter)

#1MarsfordPosted 6/8/2012 6:36:33 PM
Two modes - normal, hard.

Hard mode...

1. 500 coins = 1up (I'm not sure if this game has 1ups that way, but anyway)

2. Can't go backwards in a level (like they did in NSMB)

3. If you're powered up with a Fire Flower or Raccoon Tail, getting hit brings you all the way to being small (ala Lost Levels).

4. Make Luigi much more slippery (this could be done but it wouldn't make too much sense since there's co-op.)

5. Decreased time to complete a level. Still enough that you don't have to speed run it, but you can't dawdle.

I'm sure barely one of these will make it into the game, but it doesn't hurt to wonder. The programming and thought to implement these are minimal, but they can significantly up the challenge.

Why can't developers put harder difficulties in everything? *sigh*
---
---
Official Warrior General of the KDF.
Data is trolling.
#2DecaprePosted 6/8/2012 6:39:49 PM
Marsford posted...
---

great idea especially 3, 4, and 5.
To answer what I quoted Miyamoto.
---
Is it wrong to have a fangirl crush on Chun Li?
#3SMASHKING84Posted 6/8/2012 7:36:55 PM
i'd be all for it if they had a truly easy mode,no unlockables tied to hard levels OR assist blocks still appear in harder levels(seriously what since does it make to put them in the easy levels but not the hard levels maybe the ammount times you have to die is higher in hard mode or something but it should be in either hard mode and easy)

and please don't troll me sayng mario games are easy enough. the easy mode WOULD BE OPTIONAL OPTIONAL is some much to ask that default difficulty be easy and harder modes can be hard but never the default mode?
---
The Official Jester of The NDFi1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/TravyCD/TrayCD%20Album%205 /TravyCD%20Album6/Smash4Roster.jpg
#4Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 7:40:30 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
i'd be all for it if they had a truly easy mode,no unlockables tied to hard levels OR assist blocks still appear in harder levels(seriously what since does it make to put them in the easy levels but not the hard levels maybe the ammount times you have to die is higher in hard mode or something but it should be in either hard mode and easy)

and please don't troll me sayng mario games are easy enough. the easy mode WOULD BE OPTIONAL OPTIONAL is some much to ask that default difficulty be easy and harder modes can be hard but never the default mode?

Well for SM3DL the default difficulty (i.e. the first 8 worlds) were easy enough.

I thought NSMB was okay. Not too hard, but still a respectable amount of timing needed. Especially with Mini Mario runs =)
---
Data is trolling.
#5pikachupwnagePosted 6/8/2012 7:40:50 PM
Marsford posted...
Two modes - normal, hard.

Hard mode...

1. 500 coins = 1up (I'm not sure if this game has 1ups that way, but anyway)

2. Can't go backwards in a level (like they did in NSMB)

3. If you're powered up with a Fire Flower or Raccoon Tail, getting hit brings you all the way to being small (ala Lost Levels).

4. Make Luigi much more slippery (this could be done but it wouldn't make too much sense since there's co-op.)

5. Decreased time to complete a level. Still enough that you don't have to speed run it, but you can't dawdle.

I'm sure barely one of these will make it into the game, but it doesn't hurt to wonder. The programming and thought to implement these are minimal, but they can significantly up the challenge.

---

1. Sure

2. No. Its a old outdated and useless mechanic that unlike 1ups holds no nostalgia or charm.

3. I guess

4. Would unfairly disadvantage the second player and be kinda stupid I want to lose because of tough platforming not luigi being a clumsy ass! Sure he is more slippery in galaxy but those don't require nearly as much precise platforming and the spin can save you. Wouldn't work well for a 2D game at all.

5. No

How about we just make it as hard as NSMBW(Harder then NSMB) and then a decent length post game that brings levels that are more challenging and approaching super meat boy difficulty level near the end?

Honestly your idea seems like adding a bunch of archaic limitations and stupid crap. Difficulty in platformers should be tough levels.. Time limits are for speed runs and special challenges not forcing you to blast through levels at top speed even in more relaxed levels!
---
Proud owner of 3DS Vita and Ipad2. Suck it fanboys
Official Special ops beserker general of the NDF
#6Catcher_FreemanPosted 6/8/2012 7:44:00 PM
None of that makes the game any harder.

Well, it adds fake difficulty, which is never a good thing.

Lost Levels is a serious offender when it comes to fake difficulty.

I'd prefer real difficulty.
---
Swagodile's alt.
#7hyliamanPosted 6/8/2012 7:45:11 PM
Hard mode sounds good.

Indifferent toward 500 = one-ups. Lives have been meaningless since Super Mario 64 ( at least Super Mario World had save points. )

Don't like the idea of not being able to go back for something I missed.

Third idea seems fine.

Making Luigi more slippery seems fine. That's how he's meant to be anyway. I kind of want him to stick with his flutter jump if you hold the button. As for making the characters different, I don't see the problem. They did it for Diddy Kong in DKCR.

Don't really like time limits in general, I like to take my time on some levels. Take in the sights, mess around.
---
Complaints have a purpose. One voice becomes one hundred becomes one thousand. Enough common complaints among a crowd is sure to reach it's intended target.
#8DecaprePosted 6/8/2012 7:46:24 PM
Catcher_Freeman posted...
I'd prefer real difficulty.

So you want this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8
---
Is it wrong to have a fangirl crush on Chun Li?
#9Catcher_FreemanPosted 6/8/2012 7:48:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8

That's not real difficulty, and I don't see what a ROM hack has to do with my argument.
---
Swagodile's alt.
#10Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 7:57:25 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
How about we just make it as hard as NSMBW(Harder then NSMB) and then a decent length post game that brings levels that are more challenging and approaching super meat boy difficulty level near the end?

Honestly your idea seems like adding a bunch of archaic limitations and stupid crap. Difficulty in platformers should be tough levels.. Time limits are for speed runs and special challenges not forcing you to blast through levels at top speed even in more relaxed levels!

You're saying archaic like it's a buzzword. You are not going to have difficulty through level design in Mario platformers anymore. Casualization a la max. Don't even get me started on NSMBW - that wasn't that hard either.

Nintendo is trying to grab anyone and everyone with these games. Why would they alienate a whole cavalcade of potential casual gamers with frustrating difficulty?

And this would be OPTIONAL and probably unlockable. So you guys wouldn't have to worry about not being able to go back, because you already did in the first run of the game.
---
Data is trolling.