Tanooki Mario =/= Raccoon Mario.

#11Cosmic_CoyotePosted 9/3/2012 7:41:27 AM
I see only underaged kids and Super Mario Land 3D developers (who I assume are also underaged) replied this thread.

There was once a game called "SMB3" in NES before your were born and even before your parents met each other.

In that game it featured a new power up for mario called RACCOON Mario and the power up was displayed with either a red / brow and a rare green leaf, it gave Mario a pair of raccoon ears and a tail that could spin and the ability to fly.

There was ALSO another power up in that same Mario game called Tanoki Mario it was almost a secret power up as it was rare and the power up was displayed with a little Raccoon doll which turned Mario into a full Raccoon suit able to fly, spin his tail AND transform into a stone statue which was invincible and was even able to kill some enemies.

As you see one is a damn LEAF and the other is a damn RACCOON DOLL is very different and the power up is different enough not just in looks but in rarity and in the Statue ability so stop sating is the same and most important stop saying the atrocity that is making Mario turn into Tanoki Suit with a simple leaf instead of the right power up is ok, it is not and they should feel bad for such stupid mistake.

Is as if a Green Mushroom turns you into fire Mario just no.
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#12FakatopaterePosted 9/3/2012 7:47:56 AM
They do know the difference between the two powerups. The Tanooki suit just looks much more different than the regular Mario, as opposed to the Raccoon suit.

If you find it so bothersome, I guess I can't do anything else. I have played SMB 3 and I know that Raccoon Mario =/= Tanooki Mario, but they are still similar.

The green mushroom, however, is completely different from the fire flower, so the last line of your argument in invalid.
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".
3DS FC: 0302 - 0503 - 0747
#13Cosmic_CoyotePosted 9/3/2012 8:13:35 AM
It is not, is not the same and it is stupid to have ANOTHER power up giving you a Tanoki suit.

you get the idea and Tanoki suit have already itīs icon.

Would you be ok if a feather turns Mario into Racoon Mario instead of Cape Mario? Both can fly and both are Mario power ups so why not? they are similar right?

Or what about if you get a Hammer Power Up and it turns you into a Boomerang Hammer Bros? they are also similar they both belongs to the "Bros" so why not?
---
#14FakatopaterePosted 9/3/2012 9:48:58 AM
Cosmic_Coyote posted...
It is not, is not the same and it is stupid to have ANOTHER power up giving you a Tanoki suit.

you get the idea and Tanoki suit have already itīs icon.

Would you be ok if a feather turns Mario into Racoon Mario instead of Cape Mario? Both can fly and both are Mario power ups so why not? they are similar right?

Or what about if you get a Hammer Power Up and it turns you into a Boomerang Hammer Bros? they are also similar they both belongs to the "Bros" so why not?

Ok, good point with the cape feather. I just think it's silly to hate 3D Land (assuming you do) because the developers decided to mess around with the powerups. I think such a factor shouldn't make or break a game.
---
#15Cosmic_CoyotePosted 9/3/2012 9:57:16 AM
nope I actually like Mario Land 3D a lot but that donīt take away the bad taste in the mout of every time I got a leaf and it turned me into Tanoki
---
#16quittaboi78Posted 9/3/2012 9:06:19 PM(edited)
Well, keep in mind Shigeru Miyamoto himself doesn't consider Mario to have a continuity. Sure, some games such as the Yoshi's Island and RPG series do retain some sense of a timeline, but as far as the creator's concerned there is no canon. Also keep in mind what I posted earlier about Raccoon Mario being "Tail Mario" in Japanese - the enemies of SM3DL were translated with "Tail [name]" rather than "Raccoon [name]", so while they went over the localizers' heads it shows that Nintendo absolutely did not forget about (what we call) the "Raccoon" form in SM3DL. It also reinforces the idea of the Tanuki / Tanooki / "Tanoki" / whatever form is really just a 'finished' form of Raccoon Mario.

I guess the leap wasn't as strange in Japan since they are viewed very similarly - again, both forms are supposed to be raccoon dogs, a type of canine and certainly not intended to be your garden variety raccoon. Tanuki, as we all know thanks to the Internet, are Japanese raccoon dogs. A lot of times, Tanuki in Japanese games or other media were translated simply as raccoons because we generally don't know about them or the cultural implications. Heck, in some folklore, some Tanuki use leaves to augment their power, so it's even less of a stretch for Tanuki Mario to come from the Super Leaf. I can totally understand why they chose to bring back Tanooki Mario - it was an aesthetic choice that the designers felt made the Mario model stand out in 3D. Not saying it makes much sense against the "Tail" enemies that also come from Super Leaves, or why there's a separate Statue Leave later in the game, but again continuity is flimsy.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#17Mrockz2Posted 9/3/2012 10:21:10 PM
What you are getting upset about is an aesthetic name change, like when Princess Toadstool was changed to Princess Peach and King Koopa was changed to Bowser, the only difference is that the Raccoon and Toonoki suit both haven't been seen since SMB3, so really call it whatever you want to call it, it's a game dude. I grew up on this stuff but the thing is you need to let things go sometimes.
#18jEr3mYPosted 9/4/2012 5:23:23 AM
Brown leaf from 3D Land = Tanooki Mario (first appearance)

Gives Mario a tail, ability to spin and attack enemies. Also has the ability to float down to get to hard to reach area. It can not make Mario fly, only float.

Grey leaf from 3D Land = Statue Tanooki (first appearance, but the "statue" ability hasn't been seen since SMB3)

Exactly the same abilities as Tanooki Mario, but he can turn into an invincible statue, that'll kill most enemies. Usually has a red scarf to identify the difference between this and regular Tanooki Mario

Brown leaf from NSMB2 = Racoon Mario (hasn't been seen since SMB3)

The suit looks similar to Tanooki, but a more complete suit. Has a tail that he can use to attack enemies, float down etc etc.. BUT this suit makes Mario fly for a short time.

Status item (or something like this. I don't think it was a leaf item) from SMB3 = Statue Racoon

Same abilities as Racoon suit but he CAN turn into a statue, like Statue Tanooki suit. He can fly for a short time as well as float... This suit has only been seen once, which was Super Mario Bros 3. It isn't Statue Tanooki Suit. This suit isn't in NSMB2 nor 3D Land.

They make all looks the time and act very similar but they're all DIFFERENT!! The main, and pretty much only difference is Racoon suits can fly, Tanooki suits can't.

If you're still confused after this post, then you're just plain stupid!
---
Non-Specific Action Figure has to be in the next Super Smash Bros game. If you agree, send me a message. Number of people who agree: 12
#19FakatopaterePosted 9/4/2012 5:36:17 AM
^The Tanooki suit was in SMB 3 and Tanooki Mario could fly.
---
#20SpunkySixPosted 9/4/2012 5:38:01 AM
The Tanooki leaves come from new species of trees, hence why they give different abilities. Problem solved.
---
Tissues to the extreme!