How hard Is the nerve wrack pack?

#31gurgitoy2Posted 10/8/2012 10:08:04 AM
I don't mean to interrupt the arguing about difficulty, but I have a question.

I bought all 3 packs, and the nerve-wrack pack is the only one I haven't completed yet. I haven't gotten past the switch block level, only because I haven't really tried to memorize switch locations. I've died a lot. It's trying to get the star coins, and the switch running out that kills me.

Anyway, somebody mentioned the white raccoon suit making it easier...how? The switch level, I get, but the jumping on Koopas and then jumping on Bullet Bills...how does that work with the white raccoon suit, since you kill everything you touch with that? What happens when you do use that suit in those two levels?
---
"Now I have chortle time. Fawful scattered your minions like litter from a sad ugly cat."
#32emayerPosted 10/8/2012 10:55:07 AM
Fake Difficulty is such a stupid term. Completing all three of the Nerve-Wrack levels consecutively is legitimately more difficult than beating them separately and with checkpoints. You have to maintain your level of play for a longer period of time. I don't see how that's "fake."
#33SpunkySixPosted 10/8/2012 11:29:53 AM
emayer posted...
Fake Difficulty is such a stupid term. Completing all three of the Nerve-Wrack levels consecutively is legitimately more difficult than beating them separately and with checkpoints. You have to maintain your level of play for a longer period of time. I don't see how that's "fake."

Because in no way are the levels themselves any harder. Nintendo can superimpose time limits, life limits and whatever else it wants onto levels, but that doesn't make the design any harder. It just adds a cheap layer of frustration. Playing through two levels in order to practice the third is tedious and repetitive, not challenging.

IWBTG, for example, has Impossible mode, with no save points. Otherwise the game is exactly the same. It's not harder, just more frustrating, and although it's excusable in IWBTG's case as a parody, it also stems from bad design.

Not enjoying something =/= difficulty
---
Tissues to the extreme!
#34emayerPosted 10/8/2012 2:29:47 PM
Just because something is tedious or annoying doesn't make the challenge it presents fake. The design of the levels is the same, sure, but the task at hand is absolutely harder because it requires more consistent play. Again, I agree that we should have the option of playing the levels individually. I just don't think the term Fake Difficulty makes any sense. Is it Fake Difficulty if you die on the last jump of a level and have to go all the way back to the beginning or the checkpoint?
#35SpunkySixPosted 10/8/2012 2:56:56 PM
emayer posted...
Just because something is tedious or annoying doesn't make the challenge it presents fake. The design of the levels is the same, sure, but the task at hand is absolutely harder because it requires more consistent play. Again, I agree that we should have the option of playing the levels individually. I just don't think the term Fake Difficulty makes any sense. Is it Fake Difficulty if you die on the last jump of a level and have to go all the way back to the beginning or the checkpoint?

Go ask Ubisoft. They sure as heck knew what they were doing when they put a ton of checkpoints into the levels in Origins. Obviously one after every obstacle would be cheap because SOME extended focus should be required, but to answer your question in short, yes it is, to varying extents based on placement and level length.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
#36emayerPosted 10/8/2012 3:19:55 PM
I guess my point is that if people have a complaint about design, then they should represent it as such instead of tossing around broad terms that really don't have any inherent meaning.
#37SpunkySixPosted 10/8/2012 3:38:00 PM
emayer posted...
I guess my point is that if people have a complaint about design, then they should represent it as such instead of tossing around broad terms that really don't have any inherent meaning.

That makes sense, then. I think the popularity of the term fake difficulty comes from TV Tropes, but that doesn't really excuse misuse of language, so you have a point there.

My only question is, how would you label this type of design problem more accurately? It gets tiresome using the same explanation over and over, and having a short phrase to describe it helps to shorten things.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
#38Rexdragon125Posted 10/9/2012 3:39:49 AM
The design is fine. It lays out the challenges in plain sight so there aren't really any surprises if you're observant. You might just be bad at video games
#39krazykillerkowPosted 10/9/2012 5:51:35 AM
SpunkySix posted...

Because in no way are the levels themselves any harder. Nintendo can superimpose time limits, life limits and whatever else it wants onto levels, but that doesn't make the design any harder. It just adds a cheap layer of frustration. Playing through two levels in order to practice the third is tedious and repetitive, not challenging.

IWBTG, for example, has Impossible mode, with no save points. Otherwise the game is exactly the same. It's not harder, just more frustrating, and although it's excusable in IWBTG's case as a parody, it also stems from bad design.

Not enjoying something =/= difficulty

Well isn't called nerve wrack pack? its not called the give you a checkpoint every 30 seconds because your not very good at Mario.....pack.
---
That don't bother me, I don't exist.-carsauce on the subject of vitasurance
#40JayFermontPosted 10/9/2012 7:54:26 AM
The Nerve Wrack Pack is pretty challenging, but with regular playing you can master them easily. Nowadays I nearly never die within the first two levels, the third one always gets me though since I chose the difficult route (not the cheapskate route because thats for whimpers) and one wrong timing can be crucial (if you hold right, b and a you only die near the very end though which I find hilarious lol.