Super Mario 3D Land is better than this game

#21CheatFreak47Posted 12/10/2012 8:54:06 AM
Tidus9rules posted...
Super Mario 3DLand was not that great. Take away the 3D effect and it really isn't anything to write home about. The controls were sluggish. Trying to run and jump was broken. Nintendo used nostalgia of the Raccoon suit to rope people in, but took away the flight. You can't forgive a company for such evil marketing bull crap. I can just see them laughing at consumers, especially that nut Miyamoto. He just wanted to lure 2D Mario fans into his little 3D trap. It was like buying a beef burger and sinking your teeth into tofu.

I disagree, i felt it was styled like a 2D game but with an extra dimension thrown in- and the controls were only adjusted slightly to compensate. Honestly I felt it controlled well. When you died in that game-- it was your fault and you felt like it was too. Mario games have always been good with providing challenging level design without being downright unfair. That alone is a feat in game design. Sure, Nintendo has been shooting these Mario games out like crazy lately, but it's still impressive, nonetheless.

I feel like people were expecting another Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy when they bought this game, and it wasn't that at all. What we got instead was a more faithful attempt at bringing the 2D gameplay of Mario into 3D.

The power-ups were balanced well, the graphics were vibrant and colorful, the game made amazing use of the system's 3D capabilities in both gameplay and general use, the game's controls worked well, and the game had an astounding amount of content, especially for a handheld game.

Nintendo has never done anything particularly original with their handhelds before in the Mario series. Let's look back at the previous systems.

-The Game Boy had Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. SML was half-decent at best and a lot of basic 2D mario staples were thrown out-- like momentum and jump controls. SML26GC was a slight improvement over that, coupled with some fluid level design. Still just 2D Mario though. Been done before.
-The Game Boy Color had Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a port of the original Super Mario Bros. and the Japanese Super Mario Bros.. 2, with some Game Boy Printer junk thrown in. Fair enough. Not anything new though.
-The Game Boy Advance had... ports of classic mario games. Nothing to see here. Same old games with updated graphics.
-The DS had New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64 DS. New Super Mario Bros. was another 2D Mario game, but for what it lacked in originality, it made up for in awesome level design, and since it had been so long since a new 2D mario game had came around, it felt fresh and, well-- New. Going back to it now. It feels about the same as any other New Super Mario Bros. Game: Unoriginal. Super Mario 64 DS was a fair remake of Super Mario 64 with some iffy touch controls-- had more levels and stars, but still not original.

Which brings us to the 3DS. Where we have Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2. You already know how I feel about Super Mario 3D Land. Finally getting to the game this board is for. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game. It's basically 2D Mario with a well executed coin collecting gimmick. It lack originality, but there is at least something more to it than solid platforming.

Just my 2 cents.
---
Join My Nintendo Clan! http://tinyurl.com/nintyzone
I still play Brawl for fun. PM me with your FC if you wanna go a few rounds. 3DS: 5026-4841-9381
#22360pagesPosted 12/10/2012 1:02:26 PM
Didn't 3D land sell better worldwide then NSMB2
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
#23rush86Posted 12/13/2012 5:33:32 PM
Tidus9rules posted...
Super Mario 3DLand was not that great. Take away the 3D effect and it really isn't anything to write home about. The controls were sluggish. Trying to run and jump was broken. Nintendo used nostalgia of the Raccoon suit to rope people in, but took away the flight. You can't forgive a company for such evil marketing bull crap. I can just see them laughing at consumers, especially that nut Miyamoto. He just wanted to lure 2D Mario fans into his little 3D trap. It was like buying a beef burger and sinking your teeth into tofu.

IM sorry but htis is just false to me. You really just have a closed mind.
#24ElizabethLakePosted 12/14/2012 8:23:09 PM
I quite like the mix up of differently themed worlds of 3D land. Breaks up the monotony of a whole set of just ice, desert, ect. levels.
---
"you will find you spend a good deal of your life sitting at red lights"