Why did this game get so much criticism?

#1StykmeisterPosted 12/28/2012 11:49:04 AM
I got it for Christmas and it's my joint favourite 3DS game, along with MK7. I love 2D Mario platformers and this is just as great as all the others - fantastic responsiveness and fun. I love the collection of coins system (won't stop playing until I get 9,999,999 - I'm a perfectionist). Why are some people complaining, with some magazines giving less than great reviews?
---
3781-6464-7859 Goldeneye
1289-9437-4855 3DS
#2SmokedChiliPosted 12/28/2012 12:54:36 PM
Because being less than original and giving you a goal many would find meaningless are SINS for a Mario game, especially when asking for an opinion from "elite" communities.
---
"Audible gasp."
-- Lelouch, Code MENT
#3StarmanJuniorPosted 12/28/2012 3:18:41 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't have been criticized if they put more effort into it, but everything is copied and pasted from the previous two titles, including character design, level design, world themes, boss battles, backgrounds, and every song in the soundtrack, making it feel more like a romhack rather than an original title.
---
It's been a long time, Buzz Buzz
#4SpunkySixPosted 12/28/2012 4:51:03 PM
SmokedChili posted...
Because being less than original and giving you a goal many would find meaningless are SINS for a Mario game, especially when asking for an opinion from "elite" communities.

Or there was just no effort put into it and you're fooling yourself if you think this was any more than a cash in that was given to the B team because Nintendo wasn't even trying with it. Just look at the vastly superior NSMBU we got mere months after this was released, there's no comparing the two.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Don't be racist to elephants, now.
#5gamestar3000Posted 12/28/2012 7:10:13 PM
Just because it has mario in it, doesn't mean it's always going to be treated well.
---
The wii u sounds like a fire siren...
#6SmokedChiliPosted 12/29/2012 3:02:58 AM
SpunkySix posted...
SmokedChili posted...

Or there was just no effort put into it and you're fooling yourself if you think this was any more than a cash in that was given to the B team because Nintendo wasn't even trying with it. Just look at the vastly superior NSMBU we got mere months after this was released, there's no comparing the two.

Well, the "no effort" statement makes some sense considering it took nine months to make this game, but really, these two games are different in complexity. NSMB2 was meant to be more of a simple game with a different goal in mind, while NSMBU has more complex design thanks to different Toad House minigames, the choises you can make while selecting between worlds, and some other elements improved from NSMBW. Also, I don't see this as a cash in, but as an unfortunately timed game which could've used more time to be polished.
---
"Audible gasp."
-- Lelouch, Code MENT
#7RazieruPosted 12/29/2012 3:24:48 AM
The only one complaining is YOU TC with your willful ignorance. All Nintendo did with this, which amounts to the laziest romhack in history, is copy and paste every single element from every other NSMB game, then wrapped it up in a nice little 3DS case for you to waste your money on.

It's bad enough you have to buy it at retail on the E-Shop AND the physical copy at that. Wake up and play better Mario games (specifically the NES/SNES ones) and much more developed platformers opposed to Mario, the severely overrated one.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#8MarioMan847Posted 12/29/2012 6:03:16 AM(edited)
Apparently, the game gets ridiculed for being "more of the same" in the same generation of games where we're constantly being bombarded by repetitive sequels.
---
Video games are awesome.
#9TrueBlue91Posted 12/29/2012 7:41:35 AM
MarioMan847 posted...
Apparently, the game gets ridiculed for being "more of the same" in the same generation of games where we're constantly being bombarded by repetitive sequels.

This isn't a sequel, it's a romhack. Even COD outings are less lazy.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#10MarioMan847Posted 12/29/2012 7:54:36 AM
I've seen rom hacks, NSMB2 is nothing like one. I wasn't just referring to CoD games, I was referring to the fact that most games these days lack originality and depend way too much on stuff we've seen before. As opposed to the earlier gaming days, where most games were actually original.
---
Video games are awesome.