New Super Mario Bros. 2 Challenges

#1MarioMan847Posted 1/15/2013 2:21:06 AM(edited)
For anyone who wants to do some hardcore challenges in NSMB2, I've made multiple challenges where you have to play through the game while following the criteria of each different run. This is gonna be great for extending replay value of the game, and it'll be nothing short of challenging. For anyone who owns NSMB2, do THESE runs:

Speed Run:

Play through the entire game (5 Shiny Stars) in less than 6 hours (Use a real timer).

Extreme Coin Madness Run:

Play through the entire game (5 Shiny Stars) while trying to collect as many coins as possible. In other words, try to get extremely high coin counts on each level.

Coin-Reject Run:

Play through the entire game (5 Shiny Stars) while trying to avoid as many coins as you can. The polar opposite of the Extreme Coin Madness Run.

Mushroom Only Run:

Play through the main game (only World 1-6), the only power-ups you're allowed to use are regular Mushrooms and 1-Up Mushrooms. Since you only have to play through the main game, it IS possible to get through the game without using power-ups.

(And no, you can't get Giant Mushrooms or Mini Mushrooms)

Enemy Sympathy Run:

Play through the main game (World 1-6) without defeating a single enemy, only bosses. You can jump on Koopa shells and Dry Bones and stuff, but as long as the enemy isn't actually "killed" by your own hand, you're good.

No Death Run:

Play through the entire game (5 Shiny Stars) without dying once.

Zero Hit Run:

Play through the main game (World 1-6) without getting hit once. I repeat, only the main game.

NOTE: For the Mushroom Only Run, Enemy Sympathy Run, No Death Run, and Zero Hit Run, only save your game after you beat an entire World. If you mess up, you'll have to start the whole World over.

I haven't done any of these challenges yet, so I guess I'd better get started myself! *grabs 3DS* ^_^
---
Video games are awesome.
#2MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 1:54:07 AM
Just a reminder, this is gonna be sort of like a blog. In other words, I'll be keeping you up to speed on my progress of all of these runs. I'm gonna start with the Speed Run, since it should be the easiest.

Also, I DO have more challenges planned after these. Some that even involve Coin Rush. =)
---
Video games are awesome.
#3MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 2:22:57 AM
Wow, I breezed through World 1 in 16 minutes. I thought 6 hours would be somewhat challenging at first, but now I realize that I'm just too dang good at this game. O_o

Anyways, moving right along....
---
Video games are awesome.
#4MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 2:49:47 AM
Took me like 23 minutes to get through World 2, so I'm 40 minutes in now. I've been doing pretty good so far, besides dying a few times thanks to rushing too much. Gotta say though, I never realized how hard 2-Castle was until I started speed running it. XD

Guess I'll do World Mushroom next...
---
Video games are awesome.
#5MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 3:26:00 AM(edited)
Okay, I take back that thing I said about "doing pretty good". I died too many times, got hit too many times, and I had to restart some levels because I literally FORGOT where some Star Coins were (I know, crazy right?) It's amazing that I was still able to get through World Mushroom in under 30 minutes.... Especially considering the fact that there are 2 scrolling levels in that World. o_o

So far - World 1 was easy, World 2 was decent with some faults, and World Mushroom was horrid. Not much correlation there..... lol.

Gonna stop for now, but I WILL conquer World 3 and beyond when the time comes. >=)
---
Video games are awesome.
#6ElectricwingsPosted 1/15/2013 10:00:44 AM
MarioMan847 posted...

Mushroom Only Run:

Play through the main game (only World 1-6), the only power-ups you're allowed to use are regular Mushrooms and 1-Up Mushrooms. Since you only have to play through the main game, it IS possible to get through the game without using power-ups.

(And no, you can't get Giant Mushrooms or Mini Mushrooms)

Which levels can't be done this way?

I honestly don't remember any and am now curious.
---
To believe in god is to delude oneself.
#7MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 10:42:25 AM
Electricwings posted...
Which levels can't be done this way?

I honestly don't remember any and am now curious.

From my understanding, 3-B is the only level that you can't beat without a power-up as you need the Mini Mushroom. You can beat every other level without a power-up, there are just some levels that require power-ups to get Star Coins or secret exits - which is why the Mushroom Only Run can "only" (no pun intended =P) be done with the main game.
---
Video games are awesome.
#8MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 10:45:17 AM(edited)
Alrighty, gonna go for World 3 now. Hopefully I won't suck...

Oh man, those water levels are gonna be so degrading. <_<
---
Video games are awesome.
#9MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 11:23:36 AM
It's official: World 3 is my new least favorite World. The abundance of water levels and secret exits are really annoying.... I died WAY more than I should have. Took me a little over 30 minutes to get through World 3 thanks to how slow those water levels are. Fortunately, my overall time right now is still only an hour and 33 minutes. And with 5 worlds to go, I'd say that's a decent time.

Gonna do World Flower next because I'm not in the mood for snow. xD
---
Video games are awesome.
#10MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 11:31:15 AM
Ya know, it's amazing how many Star Coin locations I'm forgetting..... And how many times I'm dying. I seriously have no idea how my time is so good.... I'm failing pretty badly actually. >_<
---
Video games are awesome.