I keep finding new secrets!

#1avengahPosted 1/28/2013 8:21:52 PM(edited)
There's a surprising amount to find in these levels. I was looking for some tough flagpoles in the main game, so I could practise reaching the top for Coin Rush mode. Mainly, the third level of Platform Panic has a nasty flagpole that I struggle to reach sometimes, so I was going through looking for the level with a similar shaped structure before the flag, and I found it in World 3-5.

Now, since there's a Gold Flower right at the start, I thought I might as well go through and grab everything to increase my coins, and I found something I hadn't found before... in the room with the second Star Coin, there's a Starman on the far left wall in a hidden block, then a couple more Starmen in blocks that would normally be coins back in the main part of the level.

It's funny, because normally I know when there's something like that due to the placement of the blocks. For instance, if there are single coin ? blocks spaced out through the level, it often means there's a hidden Starman, like in World 3-1, but for some reason I never noticed anything amiss in 3-5 - although I decided to check that part of the level because something looked odd about the wall. Then there's that other water level (4-5, I think) with the Gold Flower right at the start and the hidden Starman immediately to the right of it - that's something you're almost sure to find, since it's practically right in your path. I'm really liking the level design; I managed to find all the Star Coins and secret exits myself because there are always little clues, which I'm getting used to spotting.

Incidentally, I don't think the flagpole in 3-5 is that similar to the Platform Panic third level; I'll probably have to practise the Coin Rush pack itself. I had a really good run going, with over 11500 points before the third flagpole, then I hit just below the top for +50 instead of x2. Gutted!
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#2abbyhitterPosted 1/30/2013 9:06:01 PM
Nice.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#3avengah(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:24:20 AM
Not to give anything away, but there's a lot more to Coin Challenge Pack C than I originally thought, especially in the first level. You can actually get a higher score by skipping the first Star Coin...

Which leads me to something about the Mystery Adventure Pack - again, skipping Star Coin 3 in the first level can lead to a much higher score. It's a shame; I wish there was more incentive to actually use the Mini Mushroom in those levels. And then there's all those secrets in Challenge C's second level, but they're wasted as even with all the hidden coin roulette blocks, you still get more coins on the route that takes you to Star Coins 2 and 3. And again, the Mini Mushroom pipe at the start isn't worth enough coins to be worth bothering with. They could have made it worth it simply by putting more Gold Mushrooms or a Gold Flower down there, but it's not a big deal really.

There really is so much to the DLC - the level design is outstanding. Mystery Adventure level 3 (the Bob-omb maze) is really intricate - I love it! So I saved 30,000 on Mystery Adventure as my shared record. I'm so glad I ended up getting this game and all the DLC; hours of Mario goodness never gets old and I can't put the game down! Up to just over 4m coins and counting.
---
#4avengah(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 2:09:39 AM
Sorry, a small correction. After testing, I've now discovered that the most coins can be found in Coin Challenge C 2 by going on the main path but taking the route that avoids all three Star Coins.
---
#5Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 2/1/2013 7:58:17 AM
For each secret in this game, I find 12 in Mario World.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#6MarioMan847Posted 2/2/2013 6:35:28 PM
Yeah, they really did pack a lot into NSMB2. It's nuts.
---
Video games are awesome.
#7rush86Posted 2/6/2013 3:19:51 AM
Yea this game is packed with secrets. I love it
#8avengah(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 11:47:21 AM
My current challenge is working out how to get 30,000 on Coin Challenge Pack C. So I can get 1858 on the first course before timer & multiplier, with usually about 90 remaining on the clock, +/- 10. Then on Course 2 I get myself up to over 12000 after multiplier I think (not sure exactly at the moment) with a bit of Koopa kicking against the wall, and getting +20 and +50 flagpole bonuses from the Fire Snake and my reserve Fire Flower. In Course 3 I release the four Gold Mushrooms near the start but leave them until I grab the Gold Flower, and I turn most of the blocks into coins in the checkpoint room. Even with all that, then finally getting +20 at the flag from my reserve Leaf, I'm usually getting around 29100 or so. Where are the rest of the points coming from?

I'm getting 50 from all five Coin Roulettes in course 2, and I'm finding loads of hidden Gold Mushrooms... but it's still not quite enough... someone's done it, according to the official site.
---