I am an honest person...to a fault, apparently.

#1MottmanPosted 9/12/2012 12:20:02 PM
I went into my local video game store today just to browse...and I saw a stickered copy of the Kirby's Dream Collection box on their shelf today. Of course, knowing that the street date isn't until Sunday, I approached the employees at the register and said, "Is this for sale already?" and one of them said, "I didn't see a street date on it, so I guess so."

But then, that pesky honesty got in the way, and I said, "I think you ought to make sure; if you can sell it, I'd be thrilled to pick up my pre-order today, but I don't think it comes in until Sunday, in which case you'd better get this off the shelf and stored in the back until then." And of course upon further review, they discovered it was street dated for Sunday (duh, right?) and they thanked me for keeping them out of trouble.

Congratulate me for being honest, or ridicule me for not taking advantage of a possible chance of getting the game four days early; I don't care either way. But I've been unemployed before, and I wouldn't want to inadvertently be responsible for anyone else sharing that fate just so I can exploit someone's mistake and get a game a few days early.

(On the other hand, they could have rewarded my honesty by finding a way to get me my copy early anyways...nah, heh.)
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
This message sponsored by the "Chibi-Robo for Smash Bros!" organization.
#2Dr_Jungy_BrogenPosted 9/12/2012 2:03:03 PM
the clerk could have lost his job over that, you did the right thing my friend.
#3Mottman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 2:11:21 PM
Dr_Jungy_Brogen posted...
the clerk could have lost his job over that, you did the right thing my friend.

Yeah, all wisecracks aside, I'm not at all sorry I did it. It would've been nice to get the game early, but I'd feel lousy if someone got fired over it. Anyone can make mistakes.

Adding to the irony was that the store's local Nintendo rep came into the store only five minutes after I reported the game being on the shelf early to the store employees. That could've been bad if THAT person had seen the error.
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
This message sponsored by the "Chibi-Robo for Smash Bros!" organization.
#4DescentorPosted 9/12/2012 3:44:56 PM(edited)
I applaud you for that, its hard to find many honest people anymore...
And you're right, getting a game 4 days earlier is not worth someone losing their job over...
---
Pkmn Black Name: (Chris!!) FC: (2541 5761 3414)
Intel Core i7-870 | GeForce GTX 560 | 12GB DDR3 1600
#5enigmatic alexPosted 9/12/2012 7:26:56 PM(edited)
if this was a facebook status I would "like" it. Too few honest decent people out there these days :)

btw I did a similar thing when the guy told me a week earlier they had gravity rush for Vita and I reminded him of the correct release date (was in doing another preordeR)
---
I will use every cannon, every bomb, every bullet, every weapon I have down to my own eye teeth to end you! I swear it! I'm coming for all of you! -Laura Roslin
#6PlasdurockPosted 9/13/2012 7:09:00 AM
I see you everywhere, you've just earned some more respect from me.
---
Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't. -Mark Twain