So, about PS Vita region lock...

#1Demo_TargetPosted 6/26/2012 3:25:41 AM
I haven't really followed the Vita news but there is starting to be a few games that interest me... let me make sure: if I buy a Vita in Europe and sign up for the Euro PSN store, I can still buy import games but just not their dlc, right?
#2Modest_ModsoulPosted 6/26/2012 4:06:32 AM
I think so.

The games are not region locked, but the DLCs are.
---
SPREAD THE WORDS!!!
PS3 exclusive game YAKUZA DEAD SOULS English version released in March 13th 2012!!!
#3lambchipsPosted 6/26/2012 5:15:20 AM
you can also sign up for multiple psn accounts, its just that you can only have one active on your memory card

f you have an EU psn, you'll be able to get the game to run as well as gain trophies... but you wont get the dlc from the JP store (unless you switch your psn)
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#4miyuki308Posted 6/26/2012 6:45:51 AM
It's not even memory card. The PSN is associated with your Vita system. In order to change account you need to factory reset the system.
---
Playing: Persona 4 the Golden, PSO2 OB
Anticipating: Nayuta no Kiseki, Project DIVA f
#5DraythonPosted 6/26/2012 10:43:03 AM
miyuki308 posted...
It's not even memory card. The PSN is associated with your Vita system. In order to change account you need to factory reset the system.

Wait.... I dont know There this one PSN For One VIta!!!!
Oh great... Now I Cant decide... To choose USA PSN Acc(Mostly Soon JAP games change to ENG Games) or JPN PSN Acc (Just for This Game DLC and SOoner later games playing in JAP)

Someone Decide My fate Before the Miku Vita Pre-order Release* (Pull Hair & Wack head to The nearest Wall)
---
She is Born to sing. She has Sang Over A Thousand Songs. She Have Beaten Many Singers.
As She Stand At the Concert Stage, Chanting.Unlimited Negi Works! ~Miku~
#6Demeanor190283Posted 6/26/2012 11:53:36 AM
Let me clear this up since I've had the very same doubts and after a great deal of struggling and cursing I think I've got it :) tested it actually

-> the machine itself (PS VITA) is totally region free and you don't need to concern yourself with the HW. A Vita bought anywhere has the potential to play anything bought anywhere

-> the problems arise when you consider the accounts: there are 3 regions that I know of: US, EU and JP. In order of quality/content: 1) JP, 2) US, 3) EU.
Each Vita is tied, strongly (but NOT irreversibly) to ONE account. To access PSN etc you need to bind the VIta to one account. The heart of the problem here is that if you want to switch account (it can be done on the same mem card) you need to FIRST unbind the vita to current account, then bind it again to another. Is this simple like with the PS3 (1 second)? HELL NO

Here's what I have to do to switch my VIta from US account to EU account:
- sync trophies so you don't lose them
- restore the vita system to unbind it to the current account (there are detailed guides on the net)
- give the restore command another spin to revert system to base setting, do NOT NOT NOT format the memory card or you'll lose all your data, saves etc
- the vita resets and now comes the annoying part: not only you lose all system data like icon placements, background setting etc, you need to watch again the intro movie (not skippable), set time and date and timezone, suffer all beginner hints and tips and set the wlan password all over again >_<
- the vita is then reborn on the new account. Your data (demos, installed games, saves etc) is NOT lost, if you switch back to the prev account it will be there for you.

Here is what you CAN and CANNOT do:
- you can play any hardcopy of a game on any account
- the first time you play a game it "links" itself to the current account and you can earn trophies only on that account (tested: my EU hardcopy of Gravity Rush earns trophies on my US account)
- to play any PSN downloaded content you need to be on the respective PSN Account (so I downloaded DIsgaea3 from US store -> can only play it on US account)
- this is the idiotic part: DLC (tested with Gravity Rush, I don't know if it's true for ALL games) only works with its region account, DESPITE the hardcopy being region free and despite trophies being linked to the first account. This means I have a US account, a EU hardcopy GR, a free DLC unlocked on the PSN through codes. My trophies are linked to US account (the first I played GR on), my DLC can only be downloaded and installed if my Vita is bound to the EU account, it works in the game if I am linked to EU account (I've seen the DLC column with the missions in-game, but couldn't take them because I was too early in the story) but if I switch to my US account the DLC column in-game gets BLANK.

So long story short: PSN downloaded content is tied to the account, DLC is tied to the account (and it's a pain since hardcopy games are NOT), trophies bind themselves to the first account they're played in, and switching accounts is a PAIN that takes 10-15 mins.

I've conducted these tests JUST for PD f, I'm going to buy a harcopy but only play it on the JP account, so I won't have future problems with DLC. I sure hope they either:
- make the account change easy and fast like with the PS3
or
- make all games DLC available on all region stores (unlikely)

Hope that helped.
#7DraythonPosted 6/26/2012 6:03:48 PM
Demeanor190283 posted...
Let me clear this up since I've had the very same doubts and after a great deal of struggling and cursing I think I've got it :) tested it actually

-> the machine itself (PS VITA) is totally region free and you don't need to concern yourself with the HW. A Vita bought anywhere has the potential to play anything bought anywhere

-> the problems arise when you consider the accounts: there are 3 regions that I know of: US, EU and JP. In order of quality/content: 1) JP, 2) US, 3) EU.
Each Vita is tied, strongly (but NOT irreversibly) to ONE account. To access PSN etc you need to bind the VIta to one account. The heart of the problem here is that if you want to switch account (it can be done on the same mem card) you need to FIRST unbind the vita to current account, then bind it again to another. Is this simple like with the PS3 (1 second)? HELL NO

Here's what I have to do to switch my VIta from US account to EU account:
- sync trophies so you don't lose them
- restore the vita system to unbind it to the current account (there are detailed guides on the net)
- give the restore command another spin to revert system to base setting, do NOT NOT NOT format the memory card or you'll lose all your data, saves etc
- the vita resets and now comes the annoying part: not only you lose all system data like icon placements, background setting etc, you need to watch again the intro movie (not skippable), set time and date and timezone, suffer all beginner hints and tips and set the wlan password all over again >_<
- the vita is then reborn on the new account. Your data (demos, installed games, saves etc) is NOT lost, if you switch back to the prev account it will be there for you.

Here is what you CAN and CANNOT do:
- you can play any hardcopy of a game on any account
- the first time you play a game it "links" itself to the current account and you can earn trophies only on that account (tested: my EU hardcopy of Gravity Rush earns trophies on my US account)
- to play any PSN downloaded content you need to be on the respective PSN Account (so I downloaded DIsgaea3 from US store -> can only play it on US account)
- this is the idiotic part: DLC (tested with Gravity Rush, I don't know if it's true for ALL games) only works with its region account, DESPITE the hardcopy being region free and despite trophies being linked to the first account. This means I have a US account, a EU hardcopy GR, a free DLC unlocked on the PSN through codes. My trophies are linked to US account (the first I played GR on), my DLC can only be downloaded and installed if my Vita is bound to the EU account, it works in the game if I am linked to EU account (I've seen the DLC column with the missions in-game, but couldn't take them because I was too early in the story) but if I switch to my US account the DLC column in-game gets BLANK.

So long story short: PSN downloaded content is tied to the account, DLC is tied to the account (and it's a pain since hardcopy games are NOT), trophies bind themselves to the first account they're played in, and switching accounts is a PAIN that takes 10-15 mins.

I've conducted these tests JUST for PD f, I'm going to buy a harcopy but only play it on the JP account, so I won't have future problems with DLC. I sure hope they either:
- make the account change easy and fast like with the PS3
or
- make all games DLC available on all region stores (unlikely)

Hope that helped.

Wait That Means.... If we Pre-order the Hatsune Miku Project Diva F Special Edition (The Vita Miku)... We are force to make a JPN Acc???
---
She is Born to sing. She has Sang Over A Thousand Songs. She Have Beaten Many Singers.
As She Stand At the Concert Stage, Chanting.Unlimited Negi Works! ~Miku~
#8lambchipsPosted 6/26/2012 6:48:34 PM
Draython posted...
Wait That Means.... If we Pre-order the Hatsune Miku Project Diva F Special Edition (The Vita Miku)... We are force to make a JPN Acc???

only if you want the dlc, since the dlc can only be bought in the JP store

vitas from all regions can have their system language set to english (JP vitas included) and be using the US store
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#9AlphusUltimusPosted 6/26/2012 10:21:46 PM
now which region will dj max touch will be on...
---
XBOX360 GT: AlphaUltima
#10miyuki308Posted 6/26/2012 11:24:41 PM
Korea, Japan, and US.
---
Playing: Persona 4 the Golden, PSO2 OB
Anticipating: Nayuta no Kiseki, Project DIVA f