How are you guys figuring out builds and weaknesses

#1NepheraelPosted 4/30/2013 8:34:51 PM
Maybe I'm just not picking up on it but in my limited play time I haven't been able to figure out any monster weaknesses or specific spell builds.

I've seen many people post stuff that suggests that I should know this stuff though like talking about builds like a blood build or why I shouldn't be using a root spell at a certain time but to be honest I'm flying blind here.

Am I missing something that describes this stuff or is this just smart people that are passing along useful information? Up to this point I've just equipped the spells that seem the most useful with the most casts but I have no idea which elements for which monster
---
PSN: Nepherael /// Why did I keep going back?
Because some people still appreciate common decency --> http://tinyurl.com/72s9lwv
#2Drake_ErifPosted 4/30/2013 8:41:00 PM
Most of the people posting builds for certain bosses have just figured it out through trial and error. What I do when I face a new creature is bring my fav spells and just try to win, after I know the bosses moves and whatnot I bring 1 of every element spell and fight it again to find it's elemental weakness, once you know how it fights and what it's weak against you can then put together and effective build for that boss. Trial and error man, stick with it and you'll be fine.
---
PSN: Demon_Phoenix
GW2: Ehmry Bay: Drake Erif - Haven Community [HC]
#3Nepherael(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 8:42:43 PM
Right on. When you're testing for weakness what is the tell? Does the boss react differently to a spell it's weak against?
---
Because some people still appreciate common decency --> http://tinyurl.com/72s9lwv
#4CedicusPosted 4/30/2013 8:44:53 PM
Drake_Erif posted...
trial and error.

Divine is working out pretty well for me.
---
PSN/Vita: Cedicus
3DS FC: 2707-1599-6445
#5TetheallaPosted 4/30/2013 8:55:47 PM
Nepherael posted...
Right on. When you're testing for weakness what is the tell? Does the boss react differently to a spell it's weak against?

Believe it says "Vulnerability" or "ARchfiend Vulnerability" when you hit a weakness.
---
HDN: 22/46[] RoAW0: 2/44[] Mugen Souls: 19/51[]
[PSN: ArcanaXIII]
#6Drake_ErifPosted 4/30/2013 9:09:51 PM
Cedicus posted...
Drake_Erif posted...
trial and error.

Divine is working out pretty well for me.

I'm actually going neutral, I'm enjoying it.

Tethealla is correct, if you strike a normal monster with it's weakness it says vulnerability in the upper right of the screen the first time you hit it in that mission, if it's a boss it will say Archfiend weakness. Spam the weakness on the boss until you get it stunned then get some free shots in before "detonating" (this is what I call it, idk the official term) it.

Let's use the Harpy for example. Harpy is weak to fire, run up and start using fireroot tri or imp pitchfork until the harpy gets stunned (it will have fire around her, she'll stop moving and "flame hell" should pop up on the top right of the screen) hit it with blood, or anything else really, for a few seconds then detonate it with and ice spell to get "skillful strike" which will knock the harpy down for a while allowing you even more free hits. This is the basic idea when making a spell set for a boss.
---
#7Nepherael(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 9:13:40 PM(edited)
Then I either haven't noticed or haven't hit anything with its weakness yet lol.

So now there's the skillful strike thing. How do I know what spells to combine for that?

Also, just a random question. Did you play FFXI? Detonation is a term I remember well from my years in that game
---
#8lapot1Posted 4/30/2013 9:20:41 PM
Look at the built in manual, near the back is the ele wheel, to.do the skillfull attack or whatever you just do it backwards. Like frost beats heat, BUT to blow up u do hellfire stun then hit with frost. Page 31/53 in the game manual.
#9Drake_ErifPosted 4/30/2013 9:21:09 PM
I believe it goes like this
Fire -> Ice -> Thunder -> Stone -> Poison -> Fire...

so if it's in flame hell use ice to detonate it, if it's in frozen hell use thunder so on and so forth.

Also yes I played FFXI for a about a year :P
---
#10Nepherael(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 9:36:17 PM
Drake_Erif posted...
I believe it goes like this
Fire -> Ice -> Thunder -> Stone -> Poison -> Fire...

so if it's in flame hell use ice to detonate it, if it's in frozen hell use thunder so on and so forth.

Also yes I played FFXI for a about a year :P

Thanks this has helped a lot. Also rock on, I loved FFXI for years. Nepherael on Titan server. Still to this day consider going back sometimes... Too many good games though XD
---