love the game..........hate the soundtrack

#41McGriff67Posted 1/6/2013 12:20:10 PM
kungfuj0 posted...
McGriff67 posted...
Why do I have a feeling most people complaining about all of the hip hop are white?

I'm black, and I didn't care for most of the songs on this thing. I like all kinds of music, from blues to hip-hop...hell, I even have some country in my mp3 collection. To me, its not about hating rap or whatever. I've just never been that big a fan of Jay-Z. There are one or two songs here that I kept, but most of it was highly mute-able to me.

And I don't really care what the world thinks of him or how he's rated or whatever. When it comes to stuff like this, its all about me and what I'm going to be comfortable listening to. I do alot of association stuff when playing this game. That means alot of time in the menus and whatnot, which also means alot of time with the music playing. If I'm going to have stuff playing for all that time, it BETTER BE stuff that I can actually stand to hear.

That is why when I get ready to do a new association or fantasy draft or whatever, I use my own custom soundtracks. Even though there are 2-3 songs on this thing that I actually like, listening to those same 2-3 songs over and over again will eventually make you HATE them!!! I now cannot stand the song "Basketball" by Kurtis Blow because my nephew fell asleep with his Like Mike dvd still playing in his room. That song played OVER AND OVER AGAIN all damn night!!! Now I shudder every time I hear it!

That's why I said most and not all.
---
I finally get to change my sig! The New York Knicks are no longer laughing stocks! 2012-13 Atlantic Division Champs! 11/20/12
#42ZechsPeacecraftPosted 1/6/2013 1:10:15 PM
Omega1024 posted...
Personally I feel like the 2k11 is my favorite do to the diversity of the soundtrack but this years isn't too bad, I'm just not a fan of how much they chopped up the songs.

Is that the one with Electric Feel -MGMT? if so you're awesome and I concur.
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#43AOTP_HERO34Posted 1/6/2013 3:23:26 PM
Having skill as a rapper is different than having skill in sports and things along those lines. Unlike skills of lets say an athlete, its more opinion based, some might determine the skill of a rapper by examining their flow, lyrics, story telling ability, punchlines, or ability to rap on any beat. Sure Jay-z has been a BIG influence on the music industry but that doesn't leave me and many others to believe he possesses enough skill to live up to all the hype he has.
---
My cats breath smells like cat food.
#44McGriff67Posted 1/7/2013 10:28:09 PM
AOTP_HERO34 posted...
Having skill as a rapper is different than having skill in sports and things along those lines. Unlike skills of lets say an athlete, its more opinion based, some might determine the skill of a rapper by examining their flow, lyrics, story telling ability, punchlines, or ability to rap on any beat. Sure Jay-z has been a BIG influence on the music industry but that doesn't leave me and many others to believe he possesses enough skill to live up to all the hype he has.

Make up your mind, one second he has no skill at all and now according to you and your imaginary friends he doesn't have ENOUGH skill to warrant the hype. What you said earlier is the same as someone saying a Hall of Fame quarterback made it to the Hall without any skill. Like I said before put Jay Z number one or number ten, it doesn't really matter but to say he doesn't have any skill or enough skill to be on that list is insane. The most absurd thing you said is when you listed the criteria for being a great rapper and all of those things are his strong points. Dude, have you ever listened to The Reasonable Doubt album?
---
I finally get to change my sig! The New York Knicks are no longer laughing stocks! 2012-13 Atlantic Division Champs! 11/20/12
#45ZechsPeacecraftPosted 1/8/2013 1:05:41 AM
AOTP_HERO34 posted...

Nooo, there is a clear standard for what makes a good rapper. Jay-Z, through out his career, has easily met those standards. Has he put out crappy stuff? Sure. Has he put out amazing songs? Better believe it.

You can not like him, but you can't deny he has skills
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#46AOTP_HERO34Posted 1/8/2013 4:13:24 PM
McGriff67 posted...
AOTP_HERO34 posted...

Make up your mind, one second he has no skill at all and now according to you and your imaginary friends he doesn't have ENOUGH skill to warrant the hype. What you said earlier is the same as someone saying a Hall of Fame quarterback made it to the Hall without any skill. Like I said before put Jay Z number one or number ten, it doesn't really matter but to say he doesn't have any skill or enough skill to be on that list is insane. The most absurd thing you said is when you listed the criteria for being a great rapper and all of those things are his strong points. Dude, have you ever listened to The Reasonable Doubt album?

Flow- Alright
Lyrics- No
Story Telling ability- No
Punchlines- Meh
Rap on any beat- Ya

Are you going to disagree with me on these? YES obviously because they are opinionated, There is no standards for what makes a great rapper. Ill admit saying he has no skill is stupid, he obviously possesses some but luck played a huge part on where he is today.The best way to become a big rapper is to get exposure, once that happens, the fans will love you no matter what you put out. The best way to get exposure is by sending tapes to big time producers and praying they even look at it, let alone enjoy it. Luck plays a big part in all that. Im saying this because any rapper could be in the position hes in if they are lucky enough (ex. Eminem.)
---
My cats breath smells like cat food.
#47whodeynotdatPosted 1/8/2013 4:46:29 PM
What song is amazing by Jay Z? Ill be honest, I haven't been a rap fan for too long(five years). The reason I love Eminem is because I can feel his struggles in the words. He also has songs where he's just completely screwing around(real slim shady). He raps slower in some songs(my name is to an extent is slow for rap) while no love is extremely fast. I just thought of two other guys who deserved an appearance: 50 cent and dre. Both are old school(which is what I enjoy more than mainstream rap other than the songs on the recovery album). Jay Z no doubt has talent, and him, Eminem, and occasionally lil wayne(best mainstream rapper but not an elite rapper) are the bet left today. Kayne west seems repetitive to me. To people excusing Jay-Z of being arrogant haven't listened to any rap obviously. Every rap does it, but only the mainstream ones do it annoyingly. I apologize for such a long paragraph, but I feel it was necessary to get my point across. And one last thing: the race argument. I'm white so the "white people hate rap argument is wrong" the problem is that most uninformed white people only hear about mainstream rap which is about drugs and sex. I hate to keep pointing to Eminem but his recovery album was about overcoming drugs which proves the theory that rap is only about doing drugs. My friends ask why I like rap and call it "ghanster music." I'm getting a bit off topic and will leave it at tht but its clear who attacks rap. In reality, every genre of music has good songs.
---
Michael Jackson was the king of pop. It's time to crown eminem the king of rap.
#48McGriff67Posted 1/8/2013 10:06:16 PM
AOTP_HERO34 posted...
McGriff67 posted...
AOTP_HERO34 posted...

Flow- Alright
Lyrics- No
Story Telling ability- No
Punchlines- Meh
Rap on any beat- Ya

Are you going to disagree with me on these? YES obviously because they are opinionated, There is no standards for what makes a great rapper. Ill admit saying he has no skill is stupid, he obviously possesses some but luck played a huge part on where he is today.The best way to become a big rapper is to get exposure, once that happens, the fans will love you no matter what you put out. The best way to get exposure is by sending tapes to big time producers and praying they even look at it, let alone enjoy it. Luck plays a big part in all that. Im saying this because any rapper could be in the position hes in if they are lucky enough (ex. Eminem.)

Ok, just by reading your ridiculous list of Jay Z's supposed shortcomings I'm willing to wager that you have never listened to The Reasonable Doubt album and to go further I doubt you have ever listened to any of his albums. I believe your opinion of Jay Z has been formed by his exposure on television and his radio songs. I tell you what, listen to "A week ago" and "Song Cry" and tell me you still feel the same way about Hova.
---
#49Son_of_SnoopPosted 1/8/2013 10:20:04 PM
I'm white and I hate this soundtrack. Oh, I'm also white and I like hip hop, but I still hate this soundtrack. Jay-Z is annoying as hell. So is Kanye West (Mercy is like nails on a mother ****ing chalkboard).
---
Memphis Tigers, Go Big Blue!
Not changing this signature until the Memphis Grizzlies win the NBA Championship. YAGB
#50makavelli923Posted 1/9/2013 2:49:53 PM
Jay-Z a top ten rapper lol maybe a top ten biter