Guide on how to play defense for guards.

#1ich3roPosted 1/4/2013 1:34:32 AM
So basically alot of people on this board do not know how to play defense so i will make a guide for guards

In my player i am averaging 5.5 steals a game on HoF easily so i know what im talking about.

First off if you are a PG or SG perimeter defense is key and will most likely result in easy points if you steal passing lanes. As a guard you will mostly play Man-to-man defense or 2-3 zone.

If you are going up against teams with a very good backcourt such as:

Bucks
Nets
Warriors
Knicks
Rockets

You need to play 2-3 zone and bring the double EVERYTIME on the perimeter and put hands up with the right analog stick up/down. This will make you tip the ball or steal which leads to easy buckets. I also noticed that when you play 2-3 zone your teammates attempt steals in passing lanes more often. The best time to bring the double is when the ballhandler is 3-5 feet behind the 3 point arc. This is the best time to double.

The only time you play man-to-man is when you are the PG and once the opponent inbounds the ball to the PG you must fullcourt defense 1v1 and harass the ballhandler but DO NO REACH. Keep bumping into the ball handler while holding LT to either force a 8 second rule or a bad pass. It's fairly easy to predict which way the ball handler is gonna go especially if the PG is super slow. You should only attempt steals when you do bump animations on the backup point guard because backup pointguards are usually slower and have less ball security.

Also if you have a matchup who is atleast 3" or more taller then you are, you cannot contain them no matter what on man-to-man. I had my 6'3" PG (coach starts me at SG) who had to guard joe johnson who is 6'7" and they kept feeding him the ball and he kept destroying me. In this case you must play 2-3 zone and always keep hands up.

If you have any questions please let me know. I also know how to play defense for Center positions.
#2B_RightePosted 1/4/2013 2:02:56 AM
but what does it mean
---
Halo invented FPS.
#3TitanicHornetPosted 1/4/2013 6:50:03 AM
Sounds like double team cheese.
---
You dont win silver, you lose gold!
#4ich3ro(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 11:18:51 AM
TitanicHornet posted...

Sounds like cheese??? And let me guess, playing the CPU on HoF they arent cheese right?? I guess you know everything about this game because you sound obnoxious. Go have fun guarding 5 players on HoF thats if you even play on HoF.
#5TimJabPosted 1/4/2013 2:24:01 PM
TitanicHornet posted...

Sounds like cheese??? And let me guess, playing the CPU on HoF they arent cheese right?? I guess you know everything about this game because you sound obnoxious. Go have fun guarding 5 players on HoF thats if you even play on HoF.

irony of this post is astounding
#6DEATH2SONYPosted 1/4/2013 2:51:46 PM
You might be an elite player, but I wouldn't suggest the 2-3 for the average player. You'll just get SLAUGHTERED by auto-threes. All the 2-3 will do is discourage auto-dunking. Its harder for your opponent to bull his way in, where he can get an automatic dunk animation regardless if those two or even three grown men standing in front of him :).

You'll only shut that down, trust me. But when you shut ONE exploit down, they simply go to another. Your opponent will switch to auto-threes for as long as you're in the 2-3...they beat the 2-3 with smart passing! But if the developers make it easy to just bull by your opponent and dunk, or hit a three as easily as a layup, why not do that :)?

Its up to YOU to find a DEFENSIVE exploit. 2-3 leaves only TWO defenders on the perimeter as the auto-dunk is shut down. Dude :)...you can be as good a perimeter defender as you want. They'll simply "play catch" on the arc. Keep passing the ball back and forth on the perimeter until they eventually find an opening to launch the auto three. Go ahead, try it :)!

You need a more BALANCED zone, the 1-3-1. Put double-team on EVERY player, tight D on-ball, leave off ball to "auto". Go to coaches profile and increase the defense settings. This will provide BALANCED smothering in the paint AND perimeter. In fact, anything in the paint is smothered by a double (even TRIPLE) team, while the perimeter...is still kinda open, but better covered than the 2-3. You have to anticipate what guy is standing open, and be prepared to run over there to close him out. Act like you don't know that guys open, while you're watching him the whole time. They've throw it out of the double team to that guy, and try to go for the steal or a hard close out.
---
Before you ask about the username, I'm a reformed Sega phanatic from the Sony-Sega wars! I accept Sony now, and I even own a PSP :D!
#7DEATH2SONYPosted 1/4/2013 3:28:45 PM
I'm trying to simplify the strategy, so its basically double on all the players. Not just the 5 on the court but EVERYBODY :). Tight on-ball D on EVERYBODY. Leave off-ball at "auto".

I also go to coaches profile and put defense to max, and doubling to max. This all takes me...about minute of the pause timer.

The game starts, as soon as you're on D, switch to 1-3-1.

How your comp teammates will behave on these settings...when they attempt that bull-in to dunk, they-at times-be met by a wall of 2 or even THREE fenders :). The comps perimeter behavior isn't as ferocious, and this is where your work is...the ball handler will be doubled on the perimeter, but the other 1 or 2 shooters out there will get "loose" D from your comp defenders.

Your opponent knows he will get a wall in the paint so he can't do flashy dunks, AND his perimeter ball handler is getting doubled...so the only cheat he has available is to pass it to that 1 or 2 shooters on the other side of the arc that are getting the loose D, and get the open auto three. So there's where you have to play the "roamer" that runs around on the perimeter closing out HARD on whoever he passes to. He'll just play catch...sigh...trying to beat your closeouts and get the three cheat off...this is where you have to keep sharp and anticipate where he's passing it. You can tell a cheese...why don't he just use some smart passing to get around the zone? He KNOWS its easier to cheat :D!

Anyway...there's mind games to play....at times there will only be ONE guy wide open on the other corner of the arc as the ball handler is getting doubled. You KNOW he will pass to that guy, its obvious :). But just kinda linger near that open guy, like you don't know he's standing there open. Act like you're completely focused on the ball handler getting doubled. As soon as he passes the ball, DART in front of the open guy to attempt a steal :D! Sometimes you'll get the steal, sometimes you won't, but you'll STILL create havok as he scrambles to get the loose ball or gather himself to shoot :D.

Another thing I do is assign 7-footers to superstar players :D. I'll put one on 5-10 Chris Paul :D! It discourages that auto-shooting player from shooting and makes him pass. He even gets BLOCKED :D.

Some of my tactics, try it!
---
Before you ask about the username, I'm a reformed Sega phanatic from the Sony-Sega wars! I accept Sony now, and I even own a PSP :D!
#8melongstrikePosted 1/4/2013 4:23:07 PM
Literally laughing my *** off.

I see some people still don't know how to play defense. (Yeah pointing my finger right at you TC)

Before your t*****s get all twisted I play HOF as well but online is only All star (I think)

People please listen this is NOT how you play defense.

Saying lets play 2-3 zone against everyone is stupid. This is where having an understanding of who you are playing (team wise and opponent wise is crucial)

For example:

Random team = Trailblazers

During the setup you want to play

Lillard Close on ball and off ball screen go over or switch hedge hard or double
Matthews Close on ball and off screen go over or switch hedge hard or double
Batum Close on ball and off screen go over or switch hedge hard
Aldridge Close on ball and off screen go under no hedge
Hickson Sag Off on ball sag off off ball screen go under no hedge

Never set double teams auto call it when superstars (cheese) players touch the ball 2-3 feet away from 3 point line or anytime pass free throw range.

100% on ball is the only way to play defense otherwise you are leaving yourself open for auto 3's.

In extra defense options I think right analog stick you can choose lock down paint if you have a slash spammer

More to come.
---
Thanks, White_D3vi1: Most people are just putting dicks on dolphins and calling it a season.
#9DEATH2SONYPosted 1/4/2013 4:58:41 PM
I have to disagree with 100% on ball D for casual weekend warrior players :). Auto threes aren't the only exploit in the game...

Its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to stay in front of a ballhandler in this game. In a real game isn't, but the in THIS game, the developers haven't figured out how to make the defender "stick"to the ball handler latterally. Your HUMAN opponent is unpredictable, and can use wild, herky jerky lateral and CIRCLER patterns until the defender isn't properly aligned and blow right by...the ONLY way to stay in front of him is LIGHTNING fast anticipation.

your opponent knows this, and that's why he either dribbles back and forth or in an "figure 8" pattern until he can get you out of alignment and blow by you for an easy AUTO-DUNK. I didn't mention the OTHER defenders stepping in front of the rim, because the dunk animation ignores them :).

This is why you must spend most of your time as the SECONDARY line of defense BEHIND the comp guarding the ball handler. The comp is pre-programmed to mimic the movements of the ball handler WAY better than you.

Can they dribble by the comp? Sure! Especially if its tight D. But the point is, that comp defender is MERELY a stumbling block to give you the extra split second you need to stop the drive. You're lingering right behind your comp teammate. Sometimes he can't get by the comp and passes the ball to reset the dribbling pattern. Sometimes he's able to get by, but THEN he's met by YOU, he has to pick up his dribble, pass, and reset the dribble pattern :D!

Only play on ball when you're closing out on an open shooter that just got a pass. Play the ROAMER, floating around the court behind the comp defender.

If it appeared that I know a lot about online players' behavior and tendencies, its because I do, after eating many auto-threes and auto-dunks :D.
---
#10DEATH2SONYPosted 1/4/2013 5:18:08 PM
Some people look at this game as if its a real basketball game, and solutions that may work in break life apply hear :D! Your mindset should be, this is a flawed video game made by flawed developers, and I need to know how this game was programmed so I can make a strategy to counter the flaws :D!

Guys are dunking THROUGH three 7-foot 250 pound bodies, with 6 arms, 6 hands, and 30 fingers on those bodies :D!

Guys are making threes at 80-90% like they're breakaway layups :D! You can miss a three wide open, they're that hard to make in real life!

Guys make jumpshots with hands ON their face, not just in it :D!

So you see, hardly anything in this game is REAL :D! Or will be contained with real world thinking!
---