The Mavs

#1SatoshiMutouPosted 1/5/2013 9:52:05 PM
This team should be a lot better with Dirks return. Since he came back in 2k i havent lost yet online with playing with them. Lots of great compliments to Dirk, lots of great new shooters, drivers, passers, etc.

Its weird they lost tonight but I expect them to make it to the playoffs somehow.
#2SesshoruPosted 1/5/2013 10:02:45 PM
They've gotten worse in every way since their championship run two years ago. Dirk's absence has shown that the Mavs offense is virtually nonexistent without him. Now that's he back it will help them out a lot to be sure but Dirk is getting older and he's no longer fighting for his first ring. I think he can still bring them to an eighth seed but they're going to get destroyed in the first round by OKC, Spurs, Clippers, etc.
#3Stephen A SmithPosted 1/5/2013 10:50:21 PM
They have a completely new squad since last year.

Y'all are right, Dirk isn't going to fight to get that ring anymore. Maybe not until they get that key free agent. If they could have landed DWill I would expect a totally different out come and attitude, even from Dirk. Since Dirk won the championship he seems completely at ease. Doing interviews while he is hurt, doing a little announcing on the sideline during games, etc. etc. The Mavs have a decent roster, especially with OJ playing like an all-star, but they just have to mesh things together. OJ has been struggling since Dirk came back.

The absence of Delonte West is hurting them as well, as they are weak at the PG position. Their bigs are pretty decent (Brand, Wright, Kaman) but they aren't game changers like Tyson was.

If they are lucky I can see them getting the 7th or 8th seed, but the west is so deep, I doubt they even get that. They have to contend with LA, Portland, Houston, Minnesota, Utah, Denver.
---
North Carolina, boorrrrnnnn and raaissseedddd
"Ssssssla-va. Med-Va-Den-Ko......."
#4ZechsPeacecraftPosted 1/6/2013 12:52:59 AM
Stephen A Smith posted...
They have a completely new squad since last year.

Y'all are right, Dirk isn't going to fight to get that ring anymore. Maybe not until they get that key free agent. If they could have landed DWill I would expect a totally different out come and attitude, even from Dirk. Since Dirk won the championship he seems completely at ease. Doing interviews while he is hurt, doing a little announcing on the sideline during games, etc. etc. The Mavs have a decent roster, especially with OJ playing like an all-star, but they just have to mesh things together. OJ has been struggling since Dirk came back.

The absence of Delonte West is hurting them as well, as they are weak at the PG position. Their bigs are pretty decent (Brand, Wright, Kaman) but they aren't game changers like Tyson was.

If they are lucky I can see them getting the 7th or 8th seed, but the west is so deep, I doubt they even get that. They have to contend with LA, Portland, Houston, Minnesota, Utah, Denver.

Maybe he is saving his career by resting when he knows they don't stand much of a chance.

And I hate to say it, but Dallas is a premier team in the league, especially with Dirk playing at least all star level and Mark Cuban the owner. Maybe Dwight comes in to town permanently, maybe some one else does. The Mavs, sooner than later are going to be very competitive; it's practically in their DNA.

More along the lines of Dirk, he is one of the players who is going to age exceptionally well. How much energy does he really expel on a nightly basis. He always has an open shot, and is creative and good enough at shooting that for him, there really isn't any bad shots.

He'll be fine, and once he can actually compete, will get that mental focus for gold and the league will be in some trouble.
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#5Stephen A SmithPosted 1/6/2013 3:59:04 AM
I agree. Dirk will age fine and Dallas will contend again before his career ends, that's for sure. But this season I don't see them getting anywhere at all.

They are def. going to need a key pick up to help them in the off-season. Dwight would be good for them, but they don't even need someone of his caliber. They've never had an actual dominate center, and they don't need one. Just one to block, rebound, and defend. Dwight wouldn't be happy with the touches he would get, so I doubt he goes there.

They need a PG more then a C. They could settle for a PG like Eric Maynor who is a great facilitator and player overall.Could raise the stakes and even try to get Lowry or Jose Calderon who are both FA. Brandon Jennings is a FA but I'm not for sure if he could work with OJ and Dirk needing the touches.

I am interested to see what Mark Cuban has up his sleeve though. Last year didn't go as well as he planned. Luckily he signed OJ and got Chris Kaman and Elton Brand (both been giving Carlise good minutes)
---
North Carolina, boorrrrnnnn and raaissseedddd
"Ssssssla-va. Med-Va-Den-Ko......."
#6Omega1024Posted 1/6/2013 9:53:16 AM
I'm a mavs fan n I will say it's been hard to watch us play this season. Hopefully either collison will get consistent or we will bring in another facilitator that can help our offense run a little smoother
---
J-E-T-S
#7BludFalkonPosted 1/6/2013 11:14:58 AM
Nowitski has a big Dirk.
#8osiris605Posted 1/6/2013 8:40:35 PM
My favorite thread by far. I'm starting to think that They need a new coach. I was watching the Heat game the other night and with 1:30 left we had 3 timeouts and I believe that we were either ahead, or the game was tied. By the time that there was 45 seconds left in the game, we had 0 timeouts. That is absolutely unacceptable. Coach Carlisle has been doing this a lot lately and I am getting sick of it. He used to be the best in-game coach out there. I think he's losing it.
#9SatoshiMutou(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2013 9:17:47 PM
In 2k they seem like they should be a top team strangely. VC is still decent (for a bench player), Shawn Marion isnt that bad either, OJ Mayo is pretty solid, I like Collision, Kamen is good for a Center, Brand can be good at times and Dirk is still amazing The bench needs a bit more help but its not as bad as other teams.

I could still see them making the playoffs, Dirk being off that team made a huge difference. He is an MVP, its like taking away Kobe from the Lakers, they would be a worse lotto team than they already are.

I dont see Minny making it to the playoffs, too many injuries and no stability. Utah is overrated, Denver could slip they seem like they are not living up to the hype, Portland is only making it if nobody else can make it and I dont see the Lakers going to the playoffs.

I dont think the Mavs will get past the 1st round, but then again nobody ever thought they would get past the 1st round when they won the championship. The team they won with realistically wasnt anything special until they actually won, if you shown anyone the Mavs team from 2010 at the beginning of the season, nobody would have thought anything of it. Plus Carlon Butler getting hurt, to me any team could always win it with 1 good player and some decent supporting cast.
#10ZechsPeacecraftPosted 1/6/2013 10:35:06 PM
Carlisle is a good coach, he just doesn't have the best pieces. Everyone is basically on their way out due to how they structured their contracts, and nobody is really playing for anything except Mayo.

They'll turn it around though, Dirk is possibly the most under rated player of all time. Easily top 50 all time, but you wouldn't know it by listening to other people. Not saying they're gonna contend, but they can survive enough to make the playoffs as a first round out.

Man the Western conference is heavy.
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft