So, in terms of Athleticism, is LeBron>MJ?

#1nighthawk247Posted 1/8/2013 7:03:02 PM
Had this argument with some of my friends today, and even though I have never seen MJ play, I have seen LeBron play, and LeBron is a freak of nature, and an amazing athlete. What do you guys think?
---
My rule in life is simple, Power is only for ones who can control it. I'm a leader! http://www.scribd.com/doc/114319899/Untitled
#2SatoshiMutouPosted 1/8/2013 7:16:46 PM
Somewhat. The standard of athleticism was different in the NBA back in the 1990s. Centers and PF's were the only guys who were strong and powerful, but they werent very fast. SF's back then were like PF's when 1st come into the league, they were tall and lanky. The PG's and SG's were very fast and very tone (like Lin and Nash are now a days). The NBA had different rules and players trained a lot differently.

In today's era you have guys like Westbrook who are PG's that are super athletic and strong. The players are built a lot different now than they used to be. Jordan went through alot different training than a SG would go through today. Plus in today's NBA, theres more emphasis on strength instead of speed, especially for SF's.

Also Lebron is a SF, not a SG, so for his position you expect more height and more weight. SF's now a days are quicker and stronger than SF's of the past.
#3ZechsPeacecraftPosted 1/8/2013 8:06:44 PM
LeBron James is the most athletic player in the history of Professional Sports. 6' 8", 250 lbs, and is one of the fastest players from baseline to baseline; it doesn't get much better than that.
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#4McGriff67Posted 1/8/2013 8:11:35 PM
You are just trying to start an argument. I refuse to take the bait.
---
I finally get to change my sig! The New York Knicks are no longer laughing stocks! 2012-13 Atlantic Division Champs! 11/20/12
#5nighthawk247(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 8:15:17 PM
McGriff67 posted...

Nah, just want to hear people opinions. I think LeBron is tops IMHO. I'm not gonna change my opinion, and I'm not gonna change any other opinion, I just don't believe in that kinda stuff. If you guys wanna argue, you have every right to do so.
---
My rule in life is simple, Power is only for ones who can control it. I'm a leader! http://www.scribd.com/doc/114319899/Untitled
#6SatoshiMutouPosted 1/8/2013 9:09:01 PM
Its hard to say that Lebron is(and I wouldnt say out of any sport, just basketball) since this era of the NBA is a lot different than previous eras. NBA players, unless they were PF's or Centers, traditionally didnt pick up weights. They focused more on their endurance and trying to run up and down a court for 48 minutes instead of their strength. Athleticism is becoming a lot more popular than it ever was before in basketball, it never used to be as big as it was now.

Currently I guess you can say that he currently is the most athletic player, but then again Magic Johnson was also considered potentially the most athletic of all time as well. He is more comparable to Magic than Jordon due to his position. Lebron is a SF, you cant compare him to any type of Guards since they are trained to play a different way.

You see BG and D12 a lot more athletic than previous Centers and Forwards, they arent as heavy and are quicker as well. Thats because the NBA has different zoning rules than it did before and players are now playing a lot different as a result. We would have had way more athletic players if the game was played now than it was before.

I dont think its fair to compare their athleticism due to being in two eras with different standards and both of them playing two different positions. Its not a fair comparison. The game is changing and only recently has it started to get this way.
#7ich3roPosted 1/8/2013 9:17:15 PM
Lebron is 250 pounds.
Jordan was 220 the most.

I have never seen a 250 pound guy flopping around like lebron. He flops like he's 180 pounds. I know ppl that i play ball with not even flop as hard as him its rediculous.
#8Son_of_SnoopPosted 1/8/2013 9:22:02 PM
McGriff67 posted...

Says the guy who pulled the race card in the soundtrack topic...
---
Memphis Tigers, Go Big Blue!
Not changing this signature until the Memphis Grizzlies win the NBA Championship. YAGB
#9LakerFanBoyPosted 1/8/2013 10:12:03 PM
Yes, LeBron is more athletic. The dude doesn't have a position. You could put him anywhere from PG-PF. And considering the centers, even half of those in the league on certain occassions. LeBron is bigger then MJ, just as fast, and has better court vision.

I do agree, the eras are completely different. But just throwing it away, he is just for the sake of an argument.

A better argument would be if Magic and Prime Laker Shaq was the most athletic player in history.
---
I'm like Doug Funnie, "I'M EATING THESE BEATTTTTTSSS"
#10DuceDestinyPosted 1/8/2013 10:52:28 PM
LakerFanBoy posted...
A better argument would be if Magic and Prime Laker Shaq was the most athletic player in history.

No, just no... Magic does not even belong in the conversation.
---
If you like big men, it would be Wilt Chamberlain. Or if you're racist you're gonna pick Larry Bird - Horry