Does anyone else feel like this episode was used to remove potential story..

#1LUEshiMemoryPosted 8/31/2012 11:39:12 PM
*potential spoilers below*

potential story branches? At least until now we had the Doug Carley branch, which was bigger than small bits of differentiated dialogue.

I mean, pretty much every major significant decision you made has now been nixed thanks to some plot turns, except for maybe Kenny?
---
...i'd x your onewingedangel ;) - TezzaLovesBarryB
#2digitalwill2000Posted 9/1/2012 12:47:55 AM
Maybe the story really IS Kenny? I mean seriously, he is the only unpredictable character in my eyes in terms of your choices. You can be totally on his side and then one disagreement will make him furious, and depending in what that was, he'll treat you good in some
scenarios but badly in others. I've only had one disagreement with him (not helping him crush Larry) and he still trusts my Lee but makes snide remarks now and the and didnt help my Lee when he was trapped under the door
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#3jsquad4136Posted 9/1/2012 7:04:55 AM(edited)
Hate to say it but there might be some truth in what you are saying. Now before people come in with pitchforks and torches let me explain. Tell-tale are having a hell of a time with getting the episodes out in a timely manner. It's not THAT hard to see that they would cut out the Doug/Carley angle so they don't have to make as many different scenarios to save on time.

The ONLY thing that Tell-tale has left in the game so far to change up the scenarios now is slight difference of dialogue. Now normally this wouldn't be an issue but every time you start up an episode the game says 'the game caters to your choices' or whatever. This seems to show that perhaps the game isn't turning out how they originally intended. When you are on a time limit you have to cut corners.

Great game none the less. BUT it would have been better if they didn't get their selves in this damn hole in the first place. They should have waited till the game was completely done THEN send it out on PSN or they should have never said 'monthly release' because as it stands I get the feeling they aren't giving us their original vision because of time constraints.

Hell, some people are still getting gamebreaking glitches. So if they don't have time to work out these sort of fatal glitches from the lack of time then what makes people think that the story isn't getting cut down for the same reason? Damn shame because the game IS good for what it is.
---
"I haven't been a child since I was 9 years old."
#4CyricZPosted 9/1/2012 7:11:06 AM(edited)
jsquad4136 posted...
The ONLY thing that Tell-tale has left in the game so far to change up the scenarios now is slight difference of dialogue. Now normally this wouldn't be an issue but every time you start up an episode the game says 'the game caters to your choices' or whatever. This seems to show that perhaps the game isn't turning out how they originally intended. When you are on a time limit you have to cut corners.

They said in the PAX panel yesterday that the story was mapped out well in advance, so either they always planned on removing that arc, or they anticipated the work it would take to maintain two of them, or both.

Great game none the less. BUT it would have been better if they didn't get their selves in this damn hole in the first place. They should have waited till the game was completely done THEN send it out on PSN or they should have never said 'monthly release' because as it stands I get the feeling they aren't giving us their original vision because of time constraints.

Actually, they mentioned that one of the reasons they're keeping to episodic development is because it allows them to react to how the players react. This doesn't mean they'll change the story for the players or keep/kill a character based on how much a player likes them, but their goal was to make it so decisions split 50/50, so they wanted to see how players' react to Choice X so they could make Choice Y that much harder to find a "right choice" on going forward.

Also, we have spoiler tags, bro. Use those instead of A) not putting a spoiler tag on the topic title, and B) making your spacing like two lines, which is about as effective as a limbless zombie.
---
CyricZ - We weren't allowed to talk about Episode 3 at the panel. >_>
#5jsquad4136Posted 9/1/2012 7:41:34 AM
'but their goal was to make it so decisions split 50/50, so they wanted to see how players' react to Choice X so they could make Choice Y that much harder to find a "right choice" on going forward.'

I dunno. The way things are going it seems that choice X will pretty much be the same as Choice Y. As in no decision you make will really affect anything. Hell I can imagine a lot of people playing this game won't even go through it again knowing that the 'hard choice' in episode one yields the same results in the end.

'guess I'll mark spoilers since the topic wasn't marked with them'

What WOULD have maybe perhaps worked out better is if they really HAD to kill off Doug and Carley then to at least make it done at a different time and different reason. I mean seriously, both of them die defending that worm Ben? Seriously? This guy is really worth that much trouble to them? Granted Doug's death played out better during that scene but they could have killed Carley at a different time. Instead she gets shot in a cat fight over the same exact thing.

'end spoilers'

Whether or not this really WAS how the story was intended it doesn't change the fact that THAT particular scene could have been handled waaaaay better.
---
"I haven't been a child since I was 9 years old."
#6lephi85Posted 9/5/2012 9:49:57 AM
CyricZ posted...

Actually, they mentioned that one of the reasons they're keeping to episodic development is because it allows them to react to how the players react.

That's interesting. I would guess that's mostly dialogue changes--Carley's repeatedly mentioning the battery incident, Lee's annoyance at Duck, and probably a lot of the talks with Clementine.

As for Doug/Carley's death, I honestly thought they were going to kill them off in episode 2. It would get increasingly difficult to maintain as Lee made more decisions. I don't think they were defending Ben so much as trying to keep some bits of humanity in the group. Lee and Clementine were the only others ones attempting to do so.
#7IAmNotNormalPosted 9/5/2012 1:27:44 PM
It doesn't matter when everyone dies at the end anyway. Chuck will be the last person standing.
---
If you can't take the heat, don't go into a hayfield with a flamethrower.
#8embrandedonePosted 9/5/2012 6:13:57 PM
Makes sense, really. The Bandits were hyped in the cliffhanger and were gotten rid of in one QTA sequence.

I'm disappointed that TellTale dug themselves in this hole.
#9decepticondevilPosted 9/7/2012 3:02:43 AM
When I heard Carly say something to the effect of "You're not going to let me forget about the battery incident, are you?" my first thought was that they had probably put that in as a reaction to complaints from the community about how stupid it seemed.
#10flintastic123Posted 9/8/2012 9:51:11 AM
absolutely, that was why i was disappointed in the episode.
---
Chrono trigger was awsome