There should've been a way to... SPOILERS

#1SkaigearPosted 8/31/2012 11:47:16 PM
..save characters.

I like episode 1 where it makes us choose between Carley or Doug, I thought "that's great, it's going to change the whole game!".. only to see Carley died so needlessly in Ep 3, before she can make any special impact. IMO, this game should've taken a page from Heavy Rain, or maybe even a step further and allow us a plethora of branches.

- In Ep2, you can choose between Ben or his friend (forgot his name).
- You have the chance to save Mark.
- Kenny could've been stopped crushing Larry's head. (this would result in Lily not being paranoid)
- Doug could've not been bitten had you shot faster.
- If Lily is paranoid, you can stop/reason with her so she'll not shoot Doug/Carley.
- Lily could've shoot Ben (or his friend).
- You can stop Katjaa from suicide.
- Etc, etc

Choices like this could've given us endless playthrough possibilities, instead, while the story is excellent, I feel as if I'm just going down a linear path, and the only things I really have control of is whether Kenny likes me, or if Clem is happy...
---
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code: 2878 6063 3010
#2digitalwill2000Posted 8/31/2012 11:55:22 PM(edited)
The price of only having 2 month intervals between episodes.

oh and lol @ saving Carley

Anyways, you seem to have this confused with Mass Effect. This isnt about finding the best solutions, this is about CHOOSING alternative decisions thrust at you. I'm
not a fanboi by any means though, TT keep doing this thig where they make it look like your actions means something in order to throw you off and not see a death or wtv coming. I mean srsly, does who you give your food to really matter? Does finding the water and the food for Duck this episode actually matter? I gave food and the axe to Larry and he still accused me of 'really hating' him.

I dont think it should attempt Heavy Rains level of branching but it should still have branches considering thats what its selling itself as. Its facepalm worthy that just because theres a popup that says "this person saw you do something" that people go "ZOmG Dey Really thought of everythang!" JUST because of a poip...because you know, game developers have totally never lied to us about his before cough cough
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#3587DeathkingPosted 9/1/2012 7:23:23 PM
It's the walking dead, people die
---
If I was a copy, why would beat myself up?
#4pillerofautumnPosted 9/1/2012 9:37:19 PM
You're comparing a blockbuster with a popular developer and one of the biggest publishers in the world in Heavy Rain, to an arcade game? Seriously? Do you guys not understand that the amount of work that goes into doing something like Heavy Rain isn't going to be done for $20-25? There are these people called programmers, and composers and artists and others who work for money cause they need to support themselves. And there's this thing called time, Heavy Rain was in development for over 4 years, not a couple of months.

Anyway, to answer Digital's questions, yes they do matter. You're being told a story, and people react to you differently depending on the choices you make. If you're expecting a completely different story depending on choice, that's your own fault for expecting that. Sure my subsequent playthroughs might be a little dull cause it's basically the same thing, but I'm enjoying my story the first time through. Including how my choices affect things. Also, refer to my first paragraph.
#5FoofyheadPosted 9/1/2012 11:44:38 PM
587Deathking posted...
It's the walking dead, people die

Say it 500 more times, and maybe ignorance will cease to exist. Everyone will die at the end, most like.
---
"F*** that loser." (Diablo III lead designer Jay Wilson, regarding Blizzard North co-founder, David Brevik)
Users who RP are also the most respected.
#6nydv8erPosted 9/2/2012 6:07:45 PM
People expect too much out of telltale

Do you know what kind of budget you would need to provide scripting, voice work and animations for a bunch of branching paths which also means that there are inevitably going to be scenes that people will never see and experience based on how much the paths branch.

It's a downloadable title that i think is working wonders with the resources it's given. The entire package is $25 and even just playing up to episode 3 i've found more value out of this game then full $60 titles
---
False Hope is a Great Motivator ~ Futurama
#7FoofyheadPosted 9/2/2012 8:41:06 PM
And this is why low budget companies fail. Silver Spoons will always find a way to crap on their games.
---
"F*** that loser." (Diablo III lead designer Jay Wilson, regarding Blizzard North co-founder, David Brevik)
Users who RP are also the most respected.
#8PARAMYTASPosted 9/3/2012 12:24:09 PM
I personally like the story, though the idea of choosing your own path in a story and setting it up (Carley and Doug) literally fails in the eyes of an average gamer who has previously made choices like those in other games: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Heavy Rain, ect. Choices for the average gamer for Walking Dead seems weak or terrible since their choices really don't matter, kind of like the ending to Mass Effect 3. Just my two cents.
---
It's not the games fault you have the attention span of a squirrel.
#9pillerofautumnPosted 9/3/2012 2:11:49 PM(edited)
PARAMYTAS posted...
I personally like the story, though the idea of choosing your own path in a story and setting it up (Carley and Doug) literally fails in the eyes of an average gamer who has previously made choices like those in other games: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Heavy Rain, ect. Choices for the average gamer for Walking Dead seems weak or terrible since their choices really don't matter, kind of like the ending to Mass Effect 3. Just my two cents.

None of those games you mentioned are arcade games and are made by blockbuster developers.

Seriously, how are you not getting the correlation? Or are you guys trolling? Cause at this point, you'd have to be to compare blockbuster games like Mass Effect and Heavy Rain that took years to make, to something from basically an indie developer who made these episodes in a few months. If you can't understand that arcade games simply cannot be compared to full retail games, then I wonder how you can work a computer properly.
#10Falling DownPosted 9/3/2012 2:18:29 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
PARAMYTAS posted...

None of those games you mentioned are arcade games and are made by blockbuster developers.

Seriously, how are you not getting the correlation? Or are you guys trolling? Cause at this point, you'd have to be to compare blockbuster games like Mass Effect and Heavy Rain that took years to make, to something from basically an indie developer who made these episodes in a few months. If you can't understand that arcade games simply cannot be compared to full retail games, then I wonder how you can work a computer properly.

Disgaea hour of darkness and it's 7 different endings say "hi".
---
DOOD!!! ~Prinnies