Ben and Kenny are horrible. - SPOILER!

#11JCChronoPosted 12/24/2012 6:53:54 AM
XRizeleaX posted...
GrrPHC posted...
Lmao, I LOVE how people act they'd be the voice of reason, super hero, greatest guy on earth in the case of a zombie apocalypse. You'd be selfish and only thinking of yourself and loved ones too.

Who knows.The world isn't in the middle of an apocalypse yet.But seriously,I would think the only logical thing is being the voice of reason,and to watch out for others since you're possibly the ONLY living people on earth.

I would combine these two thoughts together. In times like The Walking Dead, the best survival tactic is to develop a strong team that trusts each other. You protect them, they protect you. So technically, taking care of others has a selfish element to it. The only difference I could see between people is how large of a group people are willing to make. Omid's group prefered the two person route, Lily's group was a small collection, the dairy wanted to protect just their own family, the cancer survivors chose to band together with those they could trust. Everyone will react differently.
---
My corgi breathes fire.
#12Tactician_LordPosted 1/8/2013 1:31:20 PM
GrrPHC posted...
Lmao, I LOVE how people act they'd be the voice of reason, super hero, greatest guy on earth in the case of a zombie apocalypse. You'd be selfish and only thinking of yourself and loved ones too.

1- Generalizing makes any and all arguments erroneous.
2- You generalized...therefore your argument is moot.
---
You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch.
#13dragonstar13Posted 1/22/2013 2:37:39 AM
I'm going to let the beginning parts with Ben slide a bit, because he later on explains that the bandits said they had his friends. Which is more understandable, then him being a coward and offering the bandits stuff.
What I do find annoying about Ben is how 'accident' prone he can be, and how he leaves Clem by herself. First time he ran away, leaving Clem alone with zombies. Yeah, I wanted to kill him, but maybe he learned his lesson. 2nd time you ask him to watch Clem and he goes, "I dunno where she is, in the backyard maybe?" I was ready to just kick him out. He's whiny, and when he tries to redeem himself it's almost like he doesn't take it seriously enough. This is why I don't like him. But despite him being whiny and accident prone, he does seem to want to help out the group. So he isn't a bad guy.

Kenny, I actually liked through most of the game. I hated how he got angry at me(Lee) so quickly sometimes, despite that I try to be the peace keeper and even defend what he's doing. Episode 3-5, his character grew on me even more. It felt like, yeah, he thinks about his family the most, but I feel like I can trust him.
---
Abel is probably to Xenosaga what Neo was to the Matrix. - archmageraist
Claimed Misha Arsellec Lune and Lyner Barsett
#14xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 1/31/2013 7:52:08 PM
I couldn't disagree more, I thought that Kenny and Ben were both amazing. Both of these characters are so real it's startling. I wanted to knock Kenny upside the head a few times, and by God I was tempted to drop Ben, but I stuck by them both until the very end. Kenny does what he feels he has to do to protect his family. Kenny helped his own son first, and then just froze up. He does feel horribly about it afterward though, and you honestly can't say what you would have done in that situation. He's hard headed, and can be stubborn as a mule, but has a good heart.

Ben's a good kid, but he's not the brightest, and he's afraid. He's a coward and does a lot of stupid things throughout the story. It's true, he may have gotten a lot of people killed through his cowardice, but despite that he isn't a bad person. You can blame every single death on Ben, like Kenny does, but it's just not that simple. I swore that he was dead after he left Clementine in part 4, I told myself that he just doesn't deserve to live anymore. Then the game told me to put my words into actions. If Ben had been screaming "I don't want to die", I might have just let him go.

It was his sacrifice that made me reconsider, as stupid as it was, he realized he was worth more dead than alive. I waited until it got right into the red, but I just couldn't drop him in the end. Killing him was probably the right choice for the good of the group, but I just felt like that decision wasn't mine to make. I also want to note that the scenes between Kenny and Ben in part 5 are some of the best in the game. The resolution between Kenny and Ben was literally jaw-dropping, I found it even more powerful than the final scene.

TL:DR Maybe the TC would have preferred a story-line where he can choose to join Crawford.
#15AWorldUnitedPosted 2/3/2013 3:16:41 PM
grand_kaizer posted...
And if Ben hadn't been making the deal with the bandits they might have attacked while Lee and Kenny were out, completely overwhelmed the pitiful resistance Lilly put up and murdered Ben and Duck, dragging Clementine and Katjaa away to do terrible, monstrous things.

People never consider what would have happened if the bandits hadn't been dealing with Ben.

Still, Kenny and Ben are just unfortunate truths about humanity. Yeah, a lot of us, in that situation, would actually be totally useless. Some of us would be dumb enough to try and help and just make things much worse. Some of us would be selfish, putting ourselves above others, and some of us would care for nobody outside our own families. Some would manipulate, lie, cheat and steal to stay alive when the world is on its knees, and I deny anyone telling me it would be different.

People don't like Kenny and Ben because those two are reminders that we're not all superheroes, or even fundamentally righteous.

preach!!!#!
#16XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 2/4/2013 12:35:11 AM
grand_kaizer posted...
And if Ben hadn't been making the deal with the bandits they might have attacked while Lee and Kenny were out, completely overwhelmed the pitiful resistance Lilly put up and murdered Ben and Duck, dragging Clementine and Katjaa away to do terrible, monstrous things.

People never consider what would have happened if the bandits hadn't been dealing with Ben.

Glad I'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong there was a couple times I wanted to shoot the guy for being such a coward like when he let Clem almost get killed but I don't think what he did at the inn was so terrible. The problem was him not telling the group. Then again if he had told them and they said no, like gk said you never know what would've happened. I'm sure he was thinking as much about the group's survival as he was his own.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#17Ghetto_ninjaPosted 3/1/2013 3:32:53 AM
I hate Larry I couldn't wait for him to die same goes for lily I mean she shot Carly Lee's last shot at tang. Ben pissed me off cus he didn't fess up for the bandits and got Carly shot not to mention his other screw ups. I liked Kenny but he was too quick to just off anyone and didn't care about that lady in the street.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!!!
#18giled_tolgraPosted 3/4/2013 8:44:42 PM
Ben was not responsible for what the bandits did or the zombies bitting Duck. Poor guy was a freaking Klutz but he at least tried. Even Kenny gets over his hate on him.

Larry was an ass but he was trying to protect the group, especially his daughter, he didnīt really deserve dying like that. Lilly on the other had **** her. Kenny was pretty selfish and an hypocrite but not really a bad guy, he is more similar to Larry if anything.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=Windsupernova
Play Whatever. No fanboyism. PW.President of the Biased club
#19NovaKaneXPosted 3/15/2013 4:52:56 PM
Ben might not have been a superhero, but he was damn sure a liability (sp)...to everyon. I had no problems lettin' him go, especially after he left Clem to die in these streets. I was so happy when I was given the option in the tower.

Kenny pissed me off a lot, but he was way more useful alive than dead. I pieced him up when it was needed, but I still made sure to get along with him. I honestly think he redeemed himself by the end. I had to salute him when saved Christa.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!