Question: Anyone here likes Kratos as a character?

#1Grandy12Posted 4/30/2012 6:24:23 AM
I mean, okay, GoW is a solid game and deserves a representative, I'm not denying that.

But I can't imagine why would anyone like Kratos as a character at all. He's got no personality other than rage and murder, he doesn't think about his actions, he's terminally sociopathic...

He'd be a poor protagonist even in greek tragedies. They worked because you cared about the protagonist and felt sorry for him when comeuppance arrived, but for Kratos it's like "Meh", because:

1 - He doesn't sway us (me) into thinking he doesn't deserve anything that happens to him.
2 - Nothing actually happens to him which he doesn't shrug off.

Keep in mind I only played GoW 1 and 2. Feel free to correct me on any character development that may have happened past these two.
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#2Nate_DihldorffPosted 4/30/2012 6:25:23 AM
He's not a protagonist. He's an anti-hero.
---
http://kotaku.com/5811665/2011-is-all-about-the-gun-barrels
#3TaizukuPosted 4/30/2012 6:32:01 AM
Everyone says that, but he was driven to the point of rage by his intense sadness and depression. In GoW 3 once he saves Pandora he doesn't smile, but he is clearly happy to be with her, and cares about her safety. He also regrets letting her escape and feels bad. Then he also acknowledges all he's done wrong at the end. Kratos is not as one dimensional as people like to act like he is. They just don't like his behavior.
---
Skullgirls > The World
PSN: MobileFlame
#4trollhunter2Posted 4/30/2012 6:32:16 AM
he doesnt need personality he just needs to be a bad ass character
mario doesnt have personally too
he doesnt talk much
#5TaizukuPosted 4/30/2012 6:34:34 AM
Grandy12 posted...

2 - Nothing actually happens to him which he doesn't shrug off.

Besides the death of his family (by his own hand). 2 of his deaths. Killing most of the Gods. Accidentally killing one of his own soldiers. Pandora's Death. Everyone betraying him over and over again. Being sent to Hades for the second time. Everyone banning together against him.

Totally deserves all of that.
---
Skullgirls > The World
#6Lazy JonesPosted 4/30/2012 6:39:35 AM
he doesnt talk much

Just what I was going to say. He's badass. Just like I'm not. Which is why I like him.
---
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn
PSN:drpokerface
#7TaizukuPosted 4/30/2012 6:41:25 AM
Lazy Jones posted...
he doesnt talk much

Just what I was going to say. He's badass. Just like I'm not. Which is why I like him.

That's kinda flawed though, because mario's personality personifies itself through his actions. He's clearly a good guy that likes cake and hanging out with PP (FRIENDZONED) with his friendly dragon...Wait. Adventure Time = Mario.....MINDBLOWN
---
Skullgirls > The World
#8JobocanPosted 4/30/2012 6:52:23 AM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...

"Protagonist" means main character. And he's the main character. You're probably mixing some words up here.

Anyways, Kratos is a terrible character.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#9TaizukuPosted 4/30/2012 6:59:26 AM
Jobocan posted...
Nate_Dihldorff posted...

"Protagonist" means main character. And he's the main character. You're probably mixing some words up here.

Anyways, Kratos is a terrible character.

Protagonist means a main character that is good. An Antagonist can be a main character along with an Anti-Hero and a Degenerative Hero. And under what reasoning do you find him to be a terrible character? Is it because he's not all bubbly and happy like other main characters? That's not what he does.
---
Skullgirls > The World
#10supermoc10Posted 4/30/2012 6:59:50 AM
Well, Kratos is badass but he's not the kind of guy I'd hangout with like Nathan Drake or Cole.