How many fighting game enthusiasts look forward to this?

#31hyperknees91Posted 5/1/2012 7:54:34 AM
The_Evil_Elf posted...
Melee was one of the most competitive fighting games of all time...so I'm confused by people saying it wasn't a real fighting game or not meant to be competitive...

Because of their design. When was the last competitive fighter you played where you had to ban 3/4 of the features? It's a party game, not a fighting game.

It's like turning off all the items only playing on desert area in power stone 2 and saying "voila a fighting game"
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#32ThermalPiscesPosted 5/1/2012 7:56:50 AM

I play competitive fighters such as 3rd strike, SFxT and Newly into Tekken.
But I also enjoyed brawl and melee, so hopefully this is even better than those since sony actually have decent online capabilities and potential DLC/patches, something smash has always lacked.

#33TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 9:24:03 AM
hyperknees91 posted...
The_Evil_Elf posted...
Melee was one of the most competitive fighting games of all time...so I'm confused by people saying it wasn't a real fighting game or not meant to be competitive...

Because of their design. When was the last competitive fighter you played where you had to ban 3/4 of the features? It's a party game, not a fighting game.

It's like turning off all the items only playing on desert area in power stone 2 and saying "voila a fighting game"

Nobody had to ban anything, that was their choice. Instead of adapting to the stages/items, they chose to just avoid them altogether. Then they have the nerve to call themselves "pro fighting gamers." They basically did the equivalent of short NBA players crying about the hoop being too high and the NBA accomodating them by lowering the hoops by 2 feet
#34ExcIusivity69Posted 5/1/2012 11:15:56 AM
Fighting game fan here. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, Blazblue, Tekken, you name it. I'm really looking forward to this, and I also enjoy Smash Bros games.

As for being fighting games, or not. I would say it is, it just doesn't play like a traditional arcade style fighter. I consider games where the multiplayer revolves around fighting each other, to be fighting games. This includes wrestling games, MMA games, boxing games, licensed games, and even Smash Bros. I have no idea why people keep bringing up "it's a party game". Is that even a real genre? This website, along with many other websites list Smash Bros, and PS All-Stars as fighting games. I don't see the word "party" up there. Apparently "party games" are games that you play in social gatherings. When I have people over, we play SSFIV: Arcade Edition, King of Fighters XIII, MK9, Street Fighter x Tekken, etc. Are all those games now considered party games, because they get played when you have people over?
---
When did "casual player" become an insult? -Taizuku
The real question is "When did hardcore gamer become a compliment/aspiration?" -JMBoote