I hope the tournament scene type of players don't ruin this...

#1TJ_UNLIMITEDPosted 5/4/2012 7:26:19 PM
The devs said they're trying to make this a competitive fighter (stupid term to me since any game where you try to beat an opponent is competitive but whatever) so they're working with competitive fighting game players during the game's development. I really hope they don't water down the game's fun factor. I like stages that do crazy things like waves of lava etc and items dropping out of the sky to add a little more variety to the game.

I always hated playing SSBB with that type of people because they always cried "NO ITEMS, FINAL DESTINATION ONLY" when we played, which I never understood because I always figured so called "pros" would learn to adapt to things instead of whining to get them taken out. With any other game, anyone who does that would be called a n00b or something to that effect
#2melvinmelon123Posted 5/4/2012 7:36:10 PM
It most likely will end up like that, most people who play fighting games competitively hate randomness.
#33D3Posted 5/4/2012 7:41:50 PM
lol who did you play with? Friends or random people? I had a couple friends who also preferred no items and final destination but everyone else I played with was okay with items and all the stages.

Pretty sure there will be matchmaking to the type of lobbies you want online.
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#4epik_fail1Posted 5/4/2012 8:54:45 PM
Ruin? Nobody force you to play the game a certain way.
---
Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark (or) Victini all deserve to be in SSB4
People who agree : 37
#5Chzrm3Posted 5/4/2012 9:07:03 PM
Don't forget that Smash Bros has either never had online (melee) or had awful online (brawl). So if you wanted to play the game at all with other people, they had to be your friends.

Now we'll have the option to branch out into online groups that are several thousand times larger than our personal circles of friends. So if you're the type that likes crazy matches filled with items and randomness, you can probably que for that in matchmaking and play with a never-ending pool of like-minded people.

Similarly, people who love fierce, fair competition can que for those kind of matches.

So it all works in the end - everyone's happy because they're playing it their own way!
#6AR_CountPosted 5/4/2012 9:34:19 PM
"I always hated playing SSBB with that type of people because they always cried "NO ITEMS, FINAL DESTINATION ONLY" when we played, which I never understood because I always figured so called "pros" would learn to adapt to things instead of whining to get them taken out. With any other game, anyone who does that would be called a n00b or something to that effect"

How do you adapt to a bomb randomly spawning in front of your attack causing it to detonate and KO you on what would otherwise be a winning move?

I would expect this game to have toggles like Smash so people can play how they like...
---
Brawl name: Count FC:4553-9665-1458
http://www.freewebs.com/icancount1574/
#7reptyle101Posted 5/4/2012 9:37:00 PM
How do you adapt to a bomb randomly spawning in front of your attack causing it to detonate and KO you on what would otherwise be a winning move?

This has never happened to me in Brawl and I doubt it happened to you either.
---
Chase the morning
Yield for nothing.
#8MightymegaPosted 5/4/2012 9:42:06 PM
reptyle101 posted...

No that crap does happen it happened to me before. Items that appear randomly is just bad for competitive play in general especially things like stars random partyball items and smash balls.
---
true megaman fan and CFE Ingrid fan
#9AR_CountPosted 5/4/2012 9:48:44 PM

It hasn't happened to the extent I said, but I've certainty missed easy hits/KOs I should have landed had a bomb not otherwise spawned. It was more to point out random in competitive games is just frustrating, as at worse you get my scenario and at best you have a completely random advantage based on pre-existing positioning.

I like items in games where they spawn in regular intervals and locations, so skill can determine the outcome. But I also see how others may not like that as it takes away some of the fun chaos that pure randomness causes.
---
Brawl name: Count FC:4553-9665-1458
http://www.freewebs.com/icancount1574/
#10TutelaVidesPosted 5/4/2012 9:53:24 PM
Hopefully PSASBR's online isn't crap like Brawl's. It would be nice if they had a way that you could play with "tournament rules" on. Even though I don't mind playing with items on, I definitely prefer tournament rules.
---
I need some sig material. :/