What is a third Party Game?

#1RagnoraokPosted 5/5/2012 12:17:15 AM
What constitutes a third party game, and a first party game? I wanna know which characters are eligible, but I dont have a concept of first and third party games. Thanks.
---
PSN: RichYungThaBest
"What's the point" "There is no point" "Ahh, That's the point"
#2Seksii_Gurl_x0Posted 5/5/2012 12:24:32 AM(edited)
First party means Exlcusive titles/franchises that Sony OWNS. Some companys are actually owned by Sony. Like Naughty Dog and Media Modecule are some examples.
They also own IP's such as Heavenly Sword, Demon's Souls but they don't actually own From Software/Ninja Theory who developed it.

First Party include all Exclusives that Sony own and obviously aren't on other consoles. Games like Uncharted, InFamous, God Of War, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank ect.

Third Party means games like Assassin's Creed, GTA, Tomb Raider, Portal ect. Third party is basically franchises/IP's that are multi-platform and are owned by Publishers like EA, Activison, Square ect.

Hope that answers it for you.
---
Officially the Seksii valet for Kakashi_Lawyer
#3holysquidPosted 5/5/2012 12:25:10 AM

First Party: Mario

Third Party: Sonic

#4holysquidPosted 5/5/2012 12:25:33 AM
holysquid posted...

First Party: Mario

Third Party: Sonic

In Nintendo's case.
#5Seksii_Gurl_x0Posted 5/5/2012 12:26:25 AM
Yeah or simple examples.

First Party: Halo

Third Party: Red Dead Redemption
---
Officially the Seksii valet for Kakashi_Lawyer
#6MAUIBOI_808Posted 5/5/2012 12:41:14 AM
smells like fish
but taste like chicken
#7Mana_RunighaPosted 5/5/2012 12:51:56 AM
A first party game would be something developed within Sony or a developer they own for Sony consoles. Games like God of War, Uncharted, Shadows of the Colossus are first party games.

Third party games are developed by independent studios not owned by Sony. Multi-platform games would be considered third party. Good examples are Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid but are Playstation prominent third party games. Even if a game is exclusive to a specific console, it does not mean Sony owns the rights to the game.

If you want to know if second party developers exist, yes. Insomniac is one as they primarily work with Sony but are not actually owned by them. I know they are developing a multi-console title that will see release on both PS3 and Xbox 360. However, that does not mean something like Ratchet and Clank is a second party title as the owner of the rights are Sony.

On the box of your game case you will see the publisher on the bottom right corner. This is typically who holds the rights to the game. This isn't 100% as I believe Ninja Gaiden 2 was owned by Microsoft yet still found its way onto the PS3. The publisher also may not hold the rights to the franchise as I believe F.E.A.R. and Mass Effect fall under this (though ME1 never saw release on the PS3).
#8PeachSodaPosted 5/5/2012 3:36:24 AM
Another way of looking at what characters may appear is simply looking at the title of the game: PlayStation All-Stars. They will have third-party support and I think they will draw from titles that made characters popular.

Lara Croft is a fine example. Lara's golden years were on the original PlayStation, so odds are Eidos will lend Lara to Sony for this title.
---
So, I was like "Hi!" and he was like "Duuuude!"" and I was like, "EEEK!" so I ran away.
#9Ragnoraok(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 12:31:29 PM
thanks guys, i just wanted to know the chances of KH characters getting in. I guess SE is a third party company, so the chances of getting Sora are slim...
---
PSN: RichYungThaBest
"What's the point" "There is no point" "Ahh, That's the point"
#10CyborgTwentyPosted 5/5/2012 12:39:03 PM(edited)
sora is even less likely then third party characters because sora is owned by disney, not square.