Which is better: Ico or Shadow of the Colossus?

#1Sylus2015Posted 5/8/2012 10:34:53 PM
I keep hearing the characters from those games getting thrown around, so I'd like to ask you - the experienced Sony fans - to help me decide which one I should buy so that I can appropriately cheer on one of the candidates to possibly be in this game. If one of them gets in and I decide to use the character, I'd like to know their background at least somewhat.
---
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent and discerning if he holds his tongue - Proverbs 17:28
For all intents and purposes, just know me as The Mute...
#2sworderPosted 5/8/2012 10:50:45 PM
The collection has both games.
---
Aww, I love when trolls develop feelings and become self-aware. - Ark is Back
#3Sylus2015(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 11:02:58 PM
Right. Or I could buy one now with the suggestions I gather from you kind folk and buy the other later down the road (if I enjoy the former) and still end up paying the same as if I'd bought the collection ($40 for the collection; $20 for each individual title).

So that takes me back to the question: which one is better?
---
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent and discerning if he holds his tongue - Proverbs 17:28
For all intents and purposes, just know me as The Mute...
#4ShurikonoPosted 5/8/2012 11:29:40 PM
I first finished ICO on the PS2 within 9 hours but my second playthrough for the PS3 ended at 3 and a half hours.

My 2nd playthrough of SotC clocks around 8 hours now and I need to defeat 1 more colossus.

Overall I think you'll prefer SotC, there is more you can do in the vast world that you are centered in and the battles are sometimes frustrating, but truly epic.

ICO has a good heart and is magical, but it's also a very short game.
---
Brawl Friend Code - 0345-0739-6876
Brawl Wi-Fi name - SuB
#5RocketJessPosted 5/9/2012 2:17:05 AM(edited)
Despite having a similar style and atmosphere, the games are very different at a gameplay level. Get ICO if you like puzzles, basic combat and an emotional connection with your AI partner. Get Shadow if you like epic boss battles and a vast, but lonely, world to explore. Personally I much preferred ICO.

If you're undecided over which game to get, and you do intend to play both, I would recommend ICO first, since it was the first game released. Some of Shadow's plot loosely relates to ICO, since they're set in the same world; also the controls are a bit unusual (particularly, Triangle as the jump button) and it's easier to get used to them in ICO before you play Shadow and have to get used to its manual grip control and horse-riding as well.

(On a side note re. the game title, ICO-the-game is always written in capital letters, and clarifies from Ico-the-main-character.)
---
RocketJess, blasting off again!
PSN: iscah_rambles
#6Sevi_neyPosted 5/9/2012 4:16:24 AM
I think Ico should be on roster, it was the first one.
---
Games I want: Crysis 3, DmC, Last of Us, Hitman 5, GTA V, Far Cry 3
#7ZEOPOWER6Posted 5/9/2012 4:18:35 AM
Sevi_ney posted...
I think Ico should be on roster, it was the first one.

ICO wouldn't be as easy to program with a moveset...

However, I think that they should both make it in. They both made a mark on gaming for the PS2 :)
#8Seksii_Gurl_x0Posted 5/9/2012 4:25:23 AM
I preferred ICO but that's because i love puzzle games.
---
Officially the Seksii valet for Kakashi_Lawyer
#9Nate_DihldorffPosted 5/9/2012 5:26:36 AM
Shadow of the Colossus all the way.
---
http://kotaku.com/5811665/2011-is-all-about-the-gun-barrels
#10DarkKinght88Posted 5/9/2012 5:59:12 AM
I love both games and protagonists.
Wander could use his sword and his bow and arrow, while Ico could use the Queen's Sword, the mace and the lightsaber. But we depend on the programmers crativity to make them interesting fighters in this game.