Confusion about this game and contents "owned by Sony"...?

#1ZEOPOWER6Posted 5/12/2012 3:58:08 PM(edited)
It seems as though a lot of people seem to think that this game will only have properties that Sony owns but haven't they made it very clear that they are going to be able to pull from just about any game from PlayStation's history?

That means that stages/items/characters don't necessarily need to be Sony-owned, they just have to have been on a PlayStation console at some point in time from my understanding.

There's nothing in any of the interviews that they've done so far that indicates that the content of this game is going to be restricted to ALL SONY PROPERTIES especially when they've said that third party inclusion is for sure since that's kind of what holds the PlayStation brand up.

I take this to mean that anything and everything is possible for this game and because X company has the rights to some game, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't going to be represented here somehow.

For example, someone could bring up the Final Fantasy games and how they're owned by Square-Enix. However, why does that mean that the characters/items/worlds are not eligible for this game? Is there some sort of unwritten rule that doesn't allow the developers at Superbot to do anything with properties not owned by Sony?
#2SelitePosted 5/13/2012 12:35:12 PM
Is there some sort of unwritten rule that doesn't allow the developers at Superbot to do anything with properties not owned by Sony?

I think it's a written rule...
---
http://lbp.me/u/Selite
#3NewMoonShadowPosted 5/13/2012 12:40:24 PM
For example, someone could bring up the Final Fantasy games and how they're owned by Square-Enix. However, why does that mean that the characters/items/worlds are not eligible for this game? Is there some sort of unwritten rule that doesn't allow the developers at Superbot to do anything with properties not owned by Sony?

Legally, if Sony does not own the copyright to a franchise, they cannot use any copyrighted materials from it without the permission of the actual owners.

This does not prevent them from simply asking the third-parties for permission, which is exactly what they're doing.
#4djmaster1994Posted 5/13/2012 1:55:53 PM
Let put it like this.
If third parties decide not to support this game then this game will be Sony Only.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 4725-8393-6525/Steam: djk1ng
PS3:DjK1NG(BF3 and CoD: BO)
#5ZEOPOWER6(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2012 4:13:05 PM(edited)
NewMoonShadow posted...

Legally, if Sony does not own the copyright to a franchise, they cannot use any copyrighted materials from it without the permission of the actual owners.

This does not prevent them from simply asking the third-parties for permission, which is exactly what they're doing.

Well, that's what I mean. :P

Obviously, they'd need permission and cannot do whatever they please, I would imagine that doesn't even need to be said since it's kind of implied... otherwise laaaaaawwwwsuits!

My point was that even with the permission and most of these companies' blessings, some people still think that for some reason third party-related objects/characters/whatever are off limits or are NOT going to happen which is kind of ridiculous imo. It's just bad reasoning to dismiss everything because "Sony doesn't own it" even though they can get permission to use just about everything.
#6sinncrossPosted 5/13/2012 6:33:53 PM
Actually I think people are more along the lines of dismissing characters / games that ultimately have little connection or relationship with Sony.

Like Sonic has a closer relationship to Nintendo consoles... so a character like that. And I somewhat agree.
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Japan is so nice!
#7SheAsked4ThisPosted 5/13/2012 6:46:56 PM
Here is an excerpt from an interview with the developers

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-director-talks-roster-selection-and-more-in-this-interview/

All the characters seen (and rumored) so far are all Sony exclusives. Will we see some third-party characters?

I think we wouldn’t really be doing the title a proper service if you only focused on first-party. Obviously PlayStation and Sony, they’ve got some great brands. But when you think about PlayStation and its long history, I think that includes third party. I think it only makes sense. A game like this, you’re going to see some third party characters.
#8ZEOPOWER6(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2012 7:51:31 PM
sinncross posted...
Actually I think people are more along the lines of dismissing characters / games that ultimately have little connection or relationship with Sony.

Like Sonic has a closer relationship to Nintendo consoles... so a character like that. And I somewhat agree.

True. I think there are certain characters that we won't see obviously because of the closer relationship to Nintendo/other consoles but for the most part, games that have been on mainly Sony consoles are all up for grabs imo.

My issue is that there are people dismissing characters and games that simply are "not owned by Sony" which is QUITE a few games that have been PlayStation exclusives. (And some multiplats, haha)