Microsoft: "You Do Not Want an Xbox Smash Bros. Clone"

#1Nate_DihldorffPosted 6/8/2012 9:59:44 AM
"Sony PlayStation will soon have a Smash Bros. clone, a game called PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale that lets its most famous characters beat each other up. Why? Because it was a great idea when Nintendo first let Mario, Link, Samus and the rest of its best heroes beat each other up.

Surely, Microsoft should join the fray and make their own?

No way, Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Game Studios told me during an interview at E3.
But first, he played along and tried to brainstorm a roster with me.

"I'd go back to Voodoo Vince," he said. "Voodoo Vince was my favorite. We could have Joannna Dark fighting..."

"...Blinx The Time Sweeper? With the vacuum?" I suggested.

Spencer laughed.

"Crackdown guy?" I offered.

"You could pick some of the Tao Feng fighters and put them together?" (Or, as the website Digital Battle imagines—and as you can see atop this post—all of the fighters could be Halo's Master Chief.)

Was this a confirmation that it was in development? No. The opposite. "You do not want that game," Spencer said. "Have you played the [PlayStation] All-Stars?"

Yes, I said. Even though I was initially cynical about the game, I couldn't help but enjoy it when I recently started playing a pre-release version of it. Once you're having Kratos battling Fat Princess, you realize it's fun.

"I'm not going to take a shot at Sony first-party [game development]," Spencer said, "I think they do some great games. We're going to try to build games that actually create new opportunity on our platform. I don't really need to go and fill genres with the teams that we have. I don't compete with games that are already on my platform. Sure, all games on some level compete for a dollar bill, but for us it's really going to be to try to innovate. I haven't played the game, so I'm not saying it's not innovative, but..."

I finished his sentence. "We're not going to get an Xbox mascot fighter?"

"Sorry," he replied.
"

http://kotaku.com/5916929/microsoft-you-do-not-want-an-xbox-smash-bros-clone

Interesting.
---
http://kotaku.com/5811665/2011-is-all-about-the-gun-barrels
#2Seksii_Gurl_x0Posted 6/8/2012 10:02:22 AM
They don't have enough exclusives it'd be all 3rd party. That's why, end of story. If it wasn't for RARE it'd be Master Chief and some dude from Gears of War.
---
Officially the Seksii valet for Kakashi_Lawyer
Currently playing: Dragons Dogma, Tomba, Clock Tower, Silent Hill 2 HD
#3pixel378Posted 6/8/2012 10:05:19 AM(edited)
That sort of strikes me as a cop out answer. I don't like Xbox but they could put together a roster and solid game if they wanted to do fan service. They probably just didn't think about it until Sony unveiled theirs.

Roster mock up in 10 seconds:
Master Chief
Marcus fenix
Conker
Banjo
Splosion man
Joanna Dark?

Im decidedly not very educated on Microsoft first parties lol.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#4JackNiefPosted 6/8/2012 10:03:04 AM
Awww.
---
Proud Owner of: Playstation 3, Wii, Xbox360, Gaming PC, PSP, DS
<CHANGE> all the <THINGS!>
#5Roronoa_Zoro117Posted 6/8/2012 10:04:07 AM
Its going to be a FPS instead.
#6bend6000Posted 6/8/2012 10:06:04 AM
Fighters sell the best on the Playstation though, so it makes the most sense for the Sony to capitalize on that market.
---
*Proud follower of Jesus Christ*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnFr-DOPf8
#7JCChronoPosted 6/8/2012 10:10:54 AM
pixel378 posted...
That sort of strikes me as a cop out answer. I don't like Xbox but they could put together a roster and solid game if they wanted to do fan service. They probably just didn't think about it until Sony unveiled theirs.

Master Chief
Marcus fenix
Conker
Banjo
Splosion man
Joanna Dark?

Good quick list. But this game is clearly not as fun, nor are these characters really "iconic" in the same sense. Nintendo has the best iconic character roster, but PS3 has some great nostalgic faces too (if they decide to put them in the game). XBox just doesn't have that, so they decide to pout and mock a game they could never succeed in making.

PlayStation isn't the first company to make another Smash Bros. too. But only the companies that actually have a good roster have tried.
#8pixel378Posted 6/8/2012 10:13:15 AM
JCChrono posted...
pixel378 posted...

Master Chief
Marcus fenix
Conker
Banjo
Splosion man
Joanna Dark?

Good quick list. But this game is clearly not as fun, nor are these characters really "iconic" in the same sense. Nintendo has the best iconic character roster, but PS3 has some great nostalgic faces too (if they decide to put them in the game). XBox just doesn't have that, so they decide to pout and mock a game they could never succeed in making.

PlayStation isn't the first company to make another Smash Bros. too. But only the companies that actually have a good roster have tried.

Maybe give em another decade, they are a gen behind in establishing nostalgia, icons, and they aren't old enough to have any retro characters yet.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#9djmaster1994Posted 6/8/2012 10:13:57 AM
bend6000 posted...
Fighters sell the best on the Playstation though, so it makes the most sense for the Sony to capitalize on that market.

no fighting game has sold more copies than Smash Bros.
---
"Nah potna it will b da moxt intrsting E3 Nintendo Press Conference since E3 2010". ~djmaster1994 (me)
#10JCChronoPosted 6/8/2012 10:20:03 AM
pixel378 posted...
JCChrono posted...
pixel378 posted...

Master Chief
Marcus fenix
Conker
Banjo
Splosion man
Joanna Dark?

Maybe give em another decade, they are a gen behind in establishing nostalgia, icons, and they aren't old enough to have any retro characters yet.

True. XBox has good games, but it always surprised me that they can't make many great faces to the console like the other two. In the same amount of time XBox has exist, think of all the characters Nintendo and PS made. That's why I find their little jab at All-Stars funny. Sony seems incredibly more innovative than XBox.