Unlockable characters secret or not?

#11ToroStationMeowPosted 9/18/2012 6:39:21 PM
:o Just saw the thread about unlockable characters and stages... hopefully there won't be anything of the "so hard you never want to lose your save file just in case because of how annoying it is" variety.
---
R.I.P. Jim Henson, the Muppets just aren't the same without you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6R2HQHzJC4
#12co1onelPosted 9/18/2012 6:43:52 PM
Unlockable characters are horrible in the long run, especially from a competitive stand point
#13NewMoonShadowPosted 9/18/2012 6:46:54 PM
Mrpenguin454 posted...
Yes thank you for the insight. I've been following fighting games for a long time now. All I'm saying is they must not try very hard to keep leaks from happening.

Actually considering we're only 2 hours or so away from the next reveal the fact that they haven't been leaked is pretty exceptional.
#14taoxadasaPosted 9/18/2012 6:47:05 PM
I like unlocking characters in fighting games, and not just 2 or 3. I think a third of the roster being unlockable is perfect.
---
Official Robbit of the PSASBR boards
#15SpacePirateKhanPosted 9/18/2012 6:49:38 PM
ToroStationMeow posted...
I don't even feel like doing 24 hours of Quick Melee and almost don't feel like replaying Subspace Emmissary in Brawl's case if I get a Wii again.

I feel there should be an unlock absolutely everything code or DLC for people who just want to play the game, and actual unlocks for people who aren't in a rush, with no in-game discrimination if you use the code or DLC route.

This idea I like. Unlockables for those who want them, and a way to unlock everything for those who don't have the time/want to bother. Maybe even an in-game "Unlock All" feature instead of a "secret" code you have to find online. Everyone wins.

Or, have all the main GAMEPLAY features (characters, stages) unlocked from the start, but awesome bonus content like some extra costumes, music, etc. can be unlocked through play.
---
"Card Sagas Wars is one of the greatest fighting games of all time. Of all time!"
~Captain Khan
#16NewMoonShadowPosted 9/18/2012 6:56:35 PM
SpacePirateKhan posted...
Or, have all the main GAMEPLAY features (characters, stages) unlocked from the start, but awesome bonus content like some extra costumes, music, etc. can be unlocked through play.

This is how fighting games used to do it. Back in the SNES/PS1 days the only unlockable fighters were ones that weren't meant to be used competitively, due to either being jokes from the developers (Gon or Dr. B from Tekken), pallet swaps/reskins (Tekken 3, the hidden color-swaps from Marvel VS Capcom 1) or being hilariously broken (Akuma).

In fact I think Super Smash Bros. 64 was the first fighting game to just lock random normal characters and make you jump through hoops to earn them as an artificial means of extending replay value.
#17MatticianPosted 9/18/2012 7:13:52 PM
If they are secret, I'd like to know how many there is.
I don't want to check any gaming websites until I know I've unlocked them all.
#18Mrpenguin454(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 9:06:04 AM
taoxadasa posted...
I like unlocking characters in fighting games, and not just 2 or 3. I think a third of the roster being unlockable is perfect.

---
Deadpool to Servbot "LEGO called they want their promo back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32L5-LuGYA
#19Cloudfan721Posted 9/19/2012 9:08:38 AM
Mrpenguin454 posted...
I vote for secret. I don't want them to reveal the unlockable characters I think it would add a nice element of surprise and they don't do this very much anymore in fighting games this would be great!

If the secret characters included somebody like Crash or a Final Fantasy character, keeping them secret until release could cost them some preorders. Besides, nothing will be secret for the US launch. The secrets will have been discovered with the Japanese version.