One thing that worries me

#1pdizzles125Posted 10/7/2012 5:27:49 PM
The way the game is played with the meters.

In SSB you are allowed some breathing room sometimes. Maybe a few seconds where you re-cooperate and back off to do a ranged attack or something.

Since you're supposed to fill up your super-meter, or whatever its called, that could mean matches will be a constant spam fest for the fastest hits. In other words, it could become a cluster**** race to fill up the bar the fastest.

Backing away to create some distance and / or range attack players may not be viable, because the other 3 guys will be close together in a 3 person duke-out and filling up their bars faster than you.

These battles are gonna be brutal from start to finish. Trying to avoid people because you have a high percentage damage on yourself (SSB) won't be an issue either since it seems it doesnt matter how much damage you take. It only matters how much damage you GIVE.
---
Waiting for:RagOd, AC3L, P4G, BO2, FF14
SoulSac, PSABR
#2Dux_XPosted 10/7/2012 5:31:22 PM
This isn't a problem. Someone playing good defense will be able to avoid people trying to "spam" attacks and land his own blows.
---
"I'm going to shave...too"-Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)
#3zxelmanPosted 10/7/2012 5:33:01 PM
Nope.

It's not viable to be on the offensive, especially when there are people with specials ready to activate.

You're trying not to die at the same time since that takes away points.

The game does look like it encourages you to attack as much as possible, but losing points will hurt you in the end.
---
Official Toro of PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Board
Steam & PSN: Xelorx
#4geneocidePosted 10/7/2012 5:33:42 PM
Every video I have seen Radec has been doing pretty well....
---
Ahhh! My ding ding dong!
#5Majora999Posted 10/7/2012 5:35:38 PM
I had a little worry about this, and I'm not gonna lie there were people playing like this in the EU beta, but for the most part it's perfectly fine.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#6sinncrossPosted 10/7/2012 5:42:03 PM
The idea of the game being sole offensive only exists because you dont understand how the actual system works properly.
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Japan is so nice!
#7wwinterj25Posted 10/7/2012 7:37:45 PM
Play the beta and all will become clear.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#8sworderPosted 10/7/2012 7:57:09 PM
And then all those people bunched up together are completely unaware to you using a level 1 super to kill all 3. Or when one of them does a super, they die and you don't. Plus many characters have ranged attacks so you can still build meter.

Obviously there are advantages to playing more carefully.
#9Kaydos25Posted 10/7/2012 8:55:19 PM
pdizzles125 posted...

In SSB you are allowed some breathing room sometimes. Maybe a few seconds where you re-cooperate and back off to do a ranged attack or something.

Since you're supposed to fill up your super-meter, or whatever its called, that could mean matches will be a constant spam fest for the fastest hits. In other words, it could become a cluster**** race to fill up the bar the fastest.

Backing away to create some distance and / or range attack players may not be viable, because the other 3 guys will be close together in a 3 person duke-out and filling up their bars faster than you.

These battles are gonna be brutal from start to finish. Trying to avoid people because you have a high percentage damage on yourself (SSB) won't be an issue either since it seems it doesnt matter how much damage you take. It only matters how much damage you GIVE.

Compared to Smash the game is much more offensive based - which is where games are heading these days. However just remember if you take a break to breath, you can refocus, and more importantly (for you) you might not get AP knocked out of you and actually lose AP - which some characters / moves / items can do.
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 10/7/2012 9:02:01 PM
pdizzles125 posted...

That's the entire idea behind the Meter system, to reward aggression and punish turtlers/spammers.

Are you saying Smash was GOOD in the sense that one little b**** could hide on one side of the level while the other three whittle each other down through no effort on his part only to swoop in and get credit for the kill by landing the final blow on someone?