This roster is seriously lacking in villains.

#31NewMoonShadowPosted 10/9/2012 8:28:02 PM
SSBR10 posted...
majora999 posted...
Kratos slaughters innocent people, destroys everything in his path, is motivated solely by revenge and destroys pretty much the entire planet and is not a villain?

If anything, Kratos is "chaotic neutral". He may not be the most noble guy around but he's certainly not some straight up villain.

Blind hatred and revenge has been the sole motivation for many villains. In fact any series that goes past its first entry usually has the villain motivated almost solely by a burning hatred of the "good guy". In this case the Gods' status as "good guys" is questionable, but since they're not the ones running around butchering everything they see in a single-minded quest for revenge I'd say Kratos is closer to a villain than any of the Gods are except Ares, who isn't even alive in GoW 2 or 3.
#32da1on2Posted 10/9/2012 8:47:54 PM
I believe the word the OP was looking for was antagonists. The game has villains. It's antagonist characters it lacks.
---
Systemwars.com has much more intelligent people than GameFaqs. Post there.
#33Majora999Posted 10/9/2012 8:53:37 PM
da1on2 posted...
I believe the word the OP was looking for was antagonists. The game has villains. It's antagonist characters it lacks.

OK, that works.

If we're taking the low route with antagonists, it's just Col. Radec and Heihachi (you can argue if he's a villain but you can NOT say he isn't an antagonist.)

Incidentally, I do agree that Dr. Nefarious would've been awesome. Maybe the sequel.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#34NewMoonShadowPosted 10/9/2012 8:57:04 PM(edited)
da1on2 posted...

With a 1-character-per-franchise rule in effect there was pretty much no way an antagonist was getting in before the star of any given game would. That just seems like common sense logic.

Redec and Big Daddy being exceptions because the Killzone and Bioshock protagonists were wooden pieces of meat.
#35Majora999Posted 10/9/2012 9:06:31 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
da1on2 posted...

With a 1-character-per-franchise rule in effect there was pretty much no way an antagonist was getting in before the star of any given game would. That just seems like common sense logic.

Redec and Big Daddy being exceptions because the Killzone and Bioshock protagonists were wooden pieces of meat.

/sigh There was NO such rule. That is an assumption by the fanbase because Paul Gale said the roster "wouldn't be clogged with a bunch of characters from one franchise". True, they only did one per franchise, but that doesn't mean there was a "rule" in place, they could've if they wanted.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#36SSBR10Posted 10/9/2012 9:31:07 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Blind hatred and revenge has been the sole motivation for many villains. In fact any series that goes past its first entry usually has the villain motivated almost solely by a burning hatred of the "good guy". In this case the Gods' status as "good guys" is questionable, but since they're not the ones running around butchering everything they see in a single-minded quest for revenge I'd say Kratos is closer to a villain than any of the Gods are except Ares, who isn't even alive in GoW 2 or 3.

It usually depends on why they hate the character. It could be because of a past defeat, jealousy, or the good guy is just simply in the way of their evil goals but rarely is it because the good guy slayed their family.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#37kingcam07Posted 10/9/2012 10:22:31 PM
Kratos isn't a villain and I think the ending makes that pretty clear. The Gods were villains because they hid hope from the world, Kratos killed the Gods and released hope. He's an antihero. The only game in which it's debatable whether he's the hero or not is the second one, and he was clearly slighted by Zeus after doing what he was supposed to. (you know, war)

Sweet Tooth is a villain

Big Daddy's aren't villains at all. They protect Little Sisters and are more of obstacles for the player, but they aren't hostile if you aren't screwing with the Little Sisters.

Heihachi is a villain, an awesome one though.

Evil Cole is tough, I think he could be categorized as a Villainous hero, but I don't feel like his story is as completely evil as we're supposed to view it. You have to be pretty naughty to get any given evil ending though, so I think he counts.

I don't think Radec is a villain, just a soldier trying to protect his world by any means.
---
psn ID: kingcam07
#38geneocidePosted 10/9/2012 10:27:17 PM
kingcam07 posted...
Kratos isn't a villain and I think the ending makes that pretty clear. The Gods were villains because they hid hope from the world, Kratos killed the Gods and released hope. He's an antihero. The only game in which it's debatable whether he's the hero or not is the second one, and he was clearly slighted by Zeus after doing what he was supposed to. (you know, war)

Sweet Tooth is a villain

Big Daddy's aren't villains at all. They protect Little Sisters and are more of obstacles for the player, but they aren't hostile if you aren't screwing with the Little Sisters.

Evil Cole is tough, I think he could be categorized as a Villainous hero, but I don't feel like his story is as completely evil as we're supposed to view it. You have to be pretty naughty to get any given evil ending though, so I think he counts.

I don't think Radec is a villain, just a soldier trying to protect his world by any means.

I believe kratos is a villain.

Evil Cole is a villain... He wanted to force evolve the world. Most people in stories see that as evil. He was only saving 1 in every 1000....

Radec was evil... Theres no 2 ways around it....
---
Ahhh! My ding ding dong!
#39kingcam07Posted 10/9/2012 10:35:32 PM
geneocide posted...
kingcam07 posted...

Sweet Tooth is a villain

Evil Cole is a villain... He wanted to force evolve the world. Most people in stories see that as evil. He was only saving 1 in every 1000....

I'm just gonna disagree with you on Kratos.

I don't think saving the 1 in 1000 necessarily makes one a villain or really evil, it just shows that they value their group more than they do everyone else. It's an honest response.

How is Radec evil, I don't see it at all.
---
psn ID: kingcam07
#40caffiend7Posted 10/9/2012 11:29:41 PM
kingcam07 posted...
geneocide posted...
kingcam07 posted...

Sweet Tooth is a villain

I'm just gonna disagree with you on Kratos.

I don't think saving the 1 in 1000 necessarily makes one a villain or really evil, it just shows that they value their group more than they do everyone else. It's an honest response.

How is Radec evil, I don't see it at all.

Radec killed Jan, nuff said
---
"I will teach you the way true kings fight"