PSASBR and SSB... the fundamental design differences

#1NewMoonShadowPosted 11/5/2012 8:16:09 PM
1: Smash has "Tilt" attacks, PSASBR does not.

2: PSASBR has three attack buttons, Smash has 2

3: PSASBR has 1 jump button, Smash has 3 (??????)

4: Smash has a limited breakable block field, PSASBR has an unlimited unbreakable (besides throws) block. This is an important difference, from a gameplay standpoint. It changes the entire dynamic of how blocking may or may not be used.

5: Smash has Dashing, PSASBR does not. This one actually threw me off big-time when I first turned on the Beta, it's a HUGE change from Smash's pacing just by itself, especially since it also means there are no Dash Attacks. I kept trying to Dash Attack in, it took me several matches to realize there was no Dash Attack, which meant I had to vary my approach.

6: Smash has "Smash Attacks", PSASBR does not. this is mostly due to the change in killing method, I feel. There would be no point in Smash attacks when smashing opponents off the stage does nothing.

7: Item acquisition is given its own button (this is actually a key change, that prevents items from being such random variables that can screw up what you're trying to do).

8: ITEMS CANNOT BE ACCIDENTALLY ACTIVATED WITHOUT BEING PICKED UP. This is a HUGE change that may just make items viable in tournament play. One of the biggest problems with Smash from a competitive standpoint (though which only added to the chaos in casual play) was that items could literally screw you over by spawning right in front of you at the wrong time, or accidentally help you by screwing your opponent over. I think all Smash players have seen this from time to time. This cannot happen in PSASBR, at least not so randomly that one cannot possibly see it coming and react to it. Especially since items cannot be thrown, and must be used as intended or given up.

And then of course the AP-gain-Super-kills VS Smash's Percentage-to-ringout systems we're all readily familiar with.

So please, keep all this in mind next time you say the two games are identical. If the only ways in which you can think of the games being similar are that you jump around and punch people and can dodge-roll, then think twice about complaining about the two games being "too similar"
#2BloodDamagePosted 11/5/2012 8:17:28 PM
Some are never satisfied LOL
#3yuna359Posted 11/5/2012 8:20:28 PM
The people who need this info the most are the ones who can't read.
#4ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/5/2012 8:25:56 PM
They're not "too similar", but that doesn't mean the game isn't a rip-off, if only for the fact we already have a brawler featuring mascot characters with Smash Bros. There's a reason this has been called Sony Smash Bros. since day one, and that name still very much applies, no matter how much the gameplay might differ.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#5SSBR10Posted 11/5/2012 8:32:53 PM
ChocoboDreams posted...
They're not "too similar", but that doesn't mean the game isn't a rip-off, if only for the fact we already have a brawler featuring mascot characters with Smash Bros. There's a reason this has been called Sony Smash Bros. since day one, and that name still very much applies, no matter how much the gameplay might differ.

But it's not a ripoff and none of that mean it is. People calling it "Sony Smash Bros." was just to give people an idea of the concept, not because they think it's a "ripoff".

But anyway, nice post NewMoonShadow. Nobody can really argue with that.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#6NewMoonShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 8:33:49 PM
ChocoboDreams posted...

That's not what a ripoff is, though.

THIS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1lVpbnl6OU - is a ripoff.

PSASBR is just the same idea tweaked into something unique. It's pretty much how video games have been designed since day 1, and is a perfectly valid way to make games.
#7hadoken_zeroPosted 11/5/2012 8:35:11 PM
One game is risk/reward when attacking, allowing for consistently defensive and offensive play.
The other is focused on offensive play, with risk/reward finishing moves.
---
(type signature here)
#8IrokouPosted 11/5/2012 8:40:51 PM
The differences are minor, it still looks like a ripoff to the average gamer. Once smash 4 hits it's over for Sony smash bros. Also not being able to dash is horrible, the pacing is just too slow to be any good. Anyone who thinks this game is better in any way is a delusional sony pony lol.
#9ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/5/2012 8:44:33 PM(edited)
NewMoonShadow posted...
ChocoboDreams posted...

That's not what a ripoff is, though.

THIS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1lVpbnl6OU - is a ripoff.

PSASBR is just the same idea tweaked into something unique. It's pretty much how video games have been designed since day 1, and is a perfectly valid way to make games.

That's an extreme example of a rip-off, it doesn't mean this isn't one. I can tell you all the ways that Digimon differs from Pokemon, but that doesn't mean Digimon isn't a clear rip-off of Pokemon.

That said, I don't know why you continuously get defensive over such a thing. It's not as if being a rip-off of Smash Bros. isn't where this game is getting the majority of it's profit and success from. Point is, it's a good thing.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#10hadoken_zeroPosted 11/5/2012 8:43:58 PM
Also, this game does have tilt attacks, what are you talking about?
---
(type signature here)